Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11691 11692 [11693] 11694 11695 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777875 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: [TURBOAWOO] That one time Inubashiri Momiji committed mass murder (Happy thread)
« Reply #175380 on: September 09, 2016, 04:16:34 pm »

Well, ecologically we can't be rid of them or surely something will go wrong.

If we could only genetically engineer each species to find humans repulsive so they'd stop touching us all the goddamn time...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
Re: [TURBOAWOO] That one time Inubashiri Momiji committed mass murder (Happy thread)
« Reply #175381 on: September 09, 2016, 04:19:26 pm »

Also how can they be bisexual with only a single sex?
Pearl [said gem in question] has been in relationships with both humans and gems, I believe.

Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #175382 on: September 09, 2016, 04:20:34 pm »

From the way you're describing it, I'm quite sure that in this case logic was sacrificed to make an ideological point. Then again, I never watched the show, so what do I know.
Yeah

I dont watch SU (for no real reason), but from what I gather the show is rather progressive. Sacrificing a bit of internal consistency for the sake of making an ideological point (that point being "there's nothing wrong with being homosexual") seems fine. Art isn't about internal logic, it's about conveying something.

I haven't read The Gods Themselves, but I have read a number of other Asimov novels and short stories. Asimov (intentionally) has a very clear and straightforward style of writing. It is rare to find a symbolical or cryptic sentence in his writing, even though he has written so much. And the book also sounds like it's mainly an exploration of the starting premise: an alien species with three sexes. Which seems like exactly the sort of thing Asimov would write, and which naturally makes consistency very important. The goal of SU seems like it lies in another place entirely.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #175383 on: September 09, 2016, 04:27:11 pm »

I haven't read The Gods Themselves, but I have read a number of other Asimov novels and short stories. Asimov (intentionally) has a very clear and straightforward style of writing. It is rare to find a symbolical or cryptic sentence in his writing, even though he has written so much. And the book also sounds like it's mainly an exploration of the starting premise: an alien species with three sexes. Which seems like exactly the sort of thing Asimov would write, and which naturally makes consistency very important. The goal of SU seems like it lies in another place entirely.

The Gods Themselves is actually a three-part work about humans doing interdimensional energy trafficking with aliens and any consequences thereof. Part One is the human side, Part Two is the alien side, Part Three is about humans again. So it's not all aliens and sex, really.

Still an excellent book, mind you. It's just that the aliens themselves are not what it's about at all, and if I recall correctly it's more about irresponsible use of technology (even the title is a reference to a Schiller quote: "against stupidity the very gods themselves contend in vain"), which is central even in the alien part (the alien sex bits are the thing everyone remembers, but it's more of a setting element, albeit not one without its implications).
« Last Edit: September 09, 2016, 04:31:21 pm by Harry Baldman »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #175384 on: September 09, 2016, 04:33:40 pm »

Flies aren't so bad anyways. If we want to bring a species to extinction it should be the blood-sucking mosquitoes. The ecology argument doesn't even work because there are more species of mosquitoes that don't drink your blood and spread disease and bullshit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #175385 on: September 09, 2016, 04:39:28 pm »

The drinking blood and spreading disease bullshit is probably the ecological argument that would be used. "It's important!"

That said, I fully support the eradication of the bloodsucking menace.

Speaking of which, the mosquitoes have been surprisingly scarce this year where I'm at, which is nice.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #175386 on: September 09, 2016, 04:39:55 pm »

Flies aren't so bad anyways. If we want to bring a species to extinction it should be the blood-sucking mosquitoes. The ecology argument doesn't even work because there are more species of mosquitoes that don't drink your blood and spread disease and bullshit.

But you will also kill things feeding on mosquitoes, then things feeding on mosquito eaters, then some more things :(

However, mosquitoes fucking suck, yes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #175387 on: September 09, 2016, 04:45:50 pm »

No no, the qualifier was blood-sucking mosquitoes. The stuff that feeds on mosquitoes would still have things to eat, it just wouldn't be things that also eat us.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #175388 on: September 09, 2016, 04:56:36 pm »

My point is exactly that their less dickish relatives can pick up the slack. Hell, we don't even need to eradicate the domestic species, just provide evolutionary pressure for the females to stop feeding on blood when pregnant.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #175389 on: September 09, 2016, 06:34:32 pm »

I have fixed the fans on my computer! It turned out they just needed some oil to start working. Now instead of a tiny heat wave, I can feel the breeze in my chair. This is nice.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #175390 on: September 09, 2016, 06:57:52 pm »

Pearl [said gem in question] has been in relationships with both humans and gems, I believe.
Ah, so... xenosexual doesn't work, it implies exclusivity.

That's actually an interesting thought. What would you call someone who is attracted to both sapient aliums and their own species? Might be a more appropriate application of pansexual.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #175391 on: September 09, 2016, 07:07:42 pm »

My point is exactly that their less dickish relatives can pick up the slack. Hell, we don't even need to eradicate the domestic species, just provide evolutionary pressure for the females to stop feeding on blood when pregnant.
Forget evolutionary pressure: let's just gene-mod them to make them not need blood in the first place.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175393 on: September 09, 2016, 07:18:09 pm »

That's actually an interesting thought. What would you call someone who is attracted to both sapient aliums and their own species? Might be a more appropriate application of pansexual.

It's entirely possible that, even if a new term is invented, the word "bestiality" will see an uptick in popularity. Depending more or less on how human-like the ayylmaos are. Though if there's already a word (in English) for someone who does that, I haven't heard it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #175394 on: September 09, 2016, 07:26:37 pm »

It's entirely possible that, even if a new term is invented, the word "bestiality" will see an uptick in popularity. Depending more or less on how human-like the ayylmaos are. Though if there's already a word (in English) for someone who does that, I haven't heard it.
"Beastiality" doesn't strike me as the right word, though. That should be reserved for "interactions" with non-sapient life.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 11691 11692 [11693] 11694 11695 ... 13325