Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11576 11577 [11578] 11579 11580 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15796549 times)

ECrownofFire

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Dragoness
    • View Profile
    • ECrownofFire
Re: [bunbunbun] UPRPR club hop and flop station (Happy thread)
« Reply #173655 on: July 18, 2016, 08:54:24 pm »

Not sure if the music video belongs here or the WTF thread, but the song is definitely for here.

Behold, power metal has reached Peak Cheese.

Aw yiss, GLORYHAMMER. Not the first time I've heard the song, but it's the first time I've seen the music video. Definitely goes in the happy thread.
I am not surprised its them, considering one of the things I remember seeing of them on youtube has this ridiculous opening sentence. I don't remember if its actually any good compared to other stuff, just that it has the silliest title/opening line I'd seen at the time.
It's a fun listen. It's not the best power metal in existence, but it's good, and it doesn't take itself seriously at all.
Those lyrics are fucking awful though.

"Fireballs make everybody die", seriously?

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173656 on: July 18, 2016, 08:59:41 pm »

Oh, huh, interesting. Even though nobody at home really likes LGBT and stuff, I'm not open about it at all, I haven't been kicked out or anything, and I'm only bi, so I probably don't deserve to go to one if I ever have to. That's somewhat interesting to know, though.
Why would being Bi mean you don't deserve to go to a LGBT youth center? "Only" bi, pshaw.

It's bad enough when other people call bi people "basically straight" or a "lesser" queer, or otherwise engage in bi-erasure. Don't do it to yourself, man.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173657 on: July 18, 2016, 09:31:47 pm »

Oh, huh, interesting. Even though nobody at home really likes LGBT and stuff, I'm not open about it at all, I haven't been kicked out or anything, and I'm only bi, so I probably don't deserve to go to one if I ever have to. That's somewhat interesting to know, though.
Why would being Bi mean you don't deserve to go to a LGBT youth center? "Only" bi, pshaw.

It's bad enough when other people call bi people "basically straight" or a "lesser" queer, or otherwise engage in bi-erasure. Don't do it to yourself, man.
Consider me a bit jaded related to things like that. It's not like there's one nearby either way.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #173658 on: July 18, 2016, 10:00:28 pm »

I don't understand why LGBT needs to be a thing anyway. S'like, here we have a bunch of sexualities that... aren't straight, and trans is thrown in there as well? Why? For the oppression points? I dunno. No other reason to throw a bunch of arbitrary demographics together and call it a community.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173659 on: July 18, 2016, 10:02:45 pm »

Because they were all oppressed minorities on the same theme of gender and sexuality?  Iunno.  Mostly, now, because they've been doing that themselves.

But @BHK:Yo, dude, LGBT.  Don't sell yourself short because you're not L, G, or T.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2016, 10:04:49 pm by TheBiggerFish »
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #173660 on: July 18, 2016, 10:27:11 pm »

I'd like to think it's mostly because there's a lot of oppression against LGB & T people for similar reasons.

But whaddo I know.

And yeah, Bisexuality is entirely valid, and like asexuality and pansexuality, it is often seen as just "kinda straight" or  "you haven't found the right person yet".
Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #173661 on: July 18, 2016, 10:47:38 pm »

snip
It's less because of what I'm not and more because of what I am.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #173662 on: July 18, 2016, 11:20:42 pm »

I don't understand why LGBT needs to be a thing anyway. S'like, here we have a bunch of sexualities that... aren't straight, and trans is thrown in there as well? Why? For the oppression points? I dunno. No other reason to throw a bunch of arbitrary demographics together and call it a community.

Because calling it "sexualities other than hetero" implies it is not the norm.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #173663 on: July 18, 2016, 11:32:37 pm »

It isn't the norm
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173664 on: July 18, 2016, 11:42:32 pm »

Because calling it "sexualities other than hetero" implies it is not the norm.
Not intending to cause offense, but demographic studies kinda say that that's true? There's probably a decent margin of error because it's all self-reported data, but surveys of sexuality (predominantly conducted in liberal western democracies within the past 5-6 years) show that 70-90% of the population identify as heterosexual, or as 0-1 on the Kinsey scale, depending on the methodology used. So yeah, if something encompasses single-digit percentages of a population, it's not really the norm for that population.

Which is functionally meaningless if you're attempting to derive virtue or value in regard to individual actions or identity. Just about every person that has ever lived has or had some aspect of their character which was outside of the social norm for their time and place. We are a disparate and highly granular species. There's no inherent value in conforming to the vast majority of human social norms, nor evil associated with divergence, apart from obvious things like not violating others' rights. Anyone who tries to argue either that not being normal equates to being evil or wrong (excluding cases like "don't kill people for no reason"), or that identifying something as atypical is offensive, they're probably trying to sell you a line of bullshit.

That said, it's probably a good idea to avoid using "abnormal", since that does have pre-existing negative connotations, I suspect from its use in medical practice.

But yeah. People are people and there ain't no harm in being different, unless you live in some shitty full of bigoted assholes, and that's hardly your fault.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173665 on: July 19, 2016, 12:10:25 am »

I might be biased because of the social circles I run in, so others can chime in, but based on the people I know and the percentages there-in, I REALLY look askance at those statistics. It feels like a lot more people are queer than those would imply.

Also, OW, it's for the same reason that people of colour is a term, as in, people who are not "Default Master White Race," people who aren't seen as able to represent humanity but only their specific colour. People who feel like the out-group of society based on common reasons, such as race, or sexuality and gender (while not the same thing, they feel closely related) bonding together to support and advocate for each other.

Just because you don't need an advocating or supporting community doesn't mean you get to denigrate others who do. I've noticed you do that a lot, just because you don't need something it means that people who do are being silly, "Why on earth would you need that?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #173666 on: July 19, 2016, 12:46:01 am »

Yeah, that's why I said that there's probably a fair margin of error, enough that the high-end 70-30 split is likely fairly close to the mean for humanity overall.

That said, it's not really accurate to base the argument for that on anecdotal evidence, considering that the LGBTQ community (like many such) has fairly strong internal ties, so you're likely to know a larger proportion of LGBTQ people on a meaningful level than the average person. Same deal with anything else: a member of a union would probably overestimate the percentage of workers in their industry who belong to unions, a member of any political slant would overestimate the prevalence of their views among the general population, a member of a religious sect would know a lot more people of that strain than the average person, &c.

|

I know it wasn't directed at me, but that's part of why I think all these linguistic games and identity politics are divisive bullshit. People are people, and if you need to distinguish some trait about them, use simple descriptors. It's immensely frustrating to live in a time where we really need to come together and pull to stop our species from sliding into the pit of extinction, but everyone seems to be caught up in all this petty hatred, devoting themselves to tearing others down and deifying themselves. We've had so many fucking centuries to reach the realization that our superficial differences are just that, but so many people still judge others and define themselves primarily based on those characteristics.

:I

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #173667 on: July 19, 2016, 12:57:42 am »

it's for the same reason that people of colour is a term, as in, people who are not "Default Master White Race," people who aren't seen as able to represent humanity but only their specific colour
I swear the only significant group who actually thinks that non-whites are inferior are the non-white advocates who act as though they need special attention to achieve the same things

Just because you don't need an advocating or supporting community doesn't mean you get to denigrate others who do.
Don't intend to denigrate, just I don't really understand it.

I think all these linguistic games and identity politics are divisive bullshit.
Also this

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #173668 on: July 19, 2016, 01:09:23 am »

I love peanuts, but I wouldn't even think of eating a raisin. Is there a word for that?

spümpkin

• Bay Watcher
  • coming to you live from the action
    • View Profile
« Reply #173669 on: July 19, 2016, 02:28:26 am »

I love peanuts, but I wouldn't even think of eating a raisin. Is there a word for that?
I think that makes you a legumist.

@OrangeWizard
I'd probably say the reason there are support groups is because some people get kicked out of their homes, etc. Or, their parents abuse them, or some other factor affects them on a daily basis so much so that they need to ask others for help. Like how there are homeless shelters. For homeless people. Or rehab facilities. For drug addicts.

That being said, I think it'd be much better if everyone just didn't really think too much of it, and just got on with life, but sadly, people generally dislike doing that. This is to both the people who cause these people to need to go to a support group, and the people making the support groups. Normalisation, and all that.

But, I'll refer to my personal text, and add that my opinion won't change yours in the slightest. So my rant is nigh pointless.

Quote from: Sergarr
When in doubt, use puns.
Quote from: Calidovi
in our own special way we are all shitpost
each day, when the sun shines and greets us with a smile, at least one of us finds that inner strength to spout bullshit on a forum revolving around the systemized slaughter of midgets
dont call me a shitposter, call me a spirit one with the shitpost atman
Quote from: Descan
that's pretty gay
Pages: 1 ... 11576 11577 [11578] 11579 11580 ... 13325