Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10907 10908 [10909] 10910 10911 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15788630 times)

Avis-Mergulus

• Bay Watcher
  • This adorable animal can't work.
    • View Profile
Re: [🎺💀🎺] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163620 on: October 08, 2015, 09:43:00 am »

Am I actually severely mistaken in thinking that English has more than Russian, Spanish and/or German?

Again, I can only vouch for Russian, and even then, only by how I feel about it because I didn't really count all the synonyms in it, but yeah, you're sort of mistaken, I think. Russian does have as many direct synonyms as English, and then there's the ambiguities that come from a loose word order and case choice. I'm pretty sure that is true for the other Indo-European languages as well, and probably most living, functional languages in general.
I guess dying languages do have less because nobody uses them in the full range of contexts.

Also I don't know who has the most idioms. English has more than you can shake a stick at though.
I'm pretty sure all languages have lots of idioms. Finnish has them completely as a pig, so don't leave it out like a percussion cap on a rock. That'd be stupid as a boot. You have all your owls in the tower, right?
Obviously I have everyone at home. Even a hedgehog could understand that! Obstruct your mitten, y'hear!?
“See this Payam!” cried the gods, “He deceives us! He cruelly abuses our lustful hearts!”

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #163621 on: October 08, 2015, 09:47:09 am »

Am I actually severely mistaken in thinking that English has more than Russian, Spanish and/or German?

Again, I can only vouch for Russian, and even then, only by how I feel about it because I didn't really count all the synonyms in it, but yeah, you're sort of mistaken, I think. Russian does have as many direct synonyms as English, and then there's the ambiguities that come from a loose word order and case choice. I'm pretty sure that is true for the other Indo-European languages as well, and probably most living, functional languages in general.
I guess dying languages do have less because nobody uses them in the full range of contexts.

Also I don't know who has the most idioms. English has more than you can shake a stick at though.
I'm pretty sure all languages have lots of idioms. Finnish has them completely as a pig, so don't leave it out like a percussion cap on a rock. That'd be stupid as a boot. You have all your owls in the tower, right?
Obviously I have everyone at home. Even a hedgehog could understand that! Obstruct your mitten, y'hear!?

And there's a monk out back, with a ladder!
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: [] Nuclear donuts, advise countering with vampires (Happy thread)
« Reply #163622 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:01 am »

Obstruct your mitten, y'hear!?
Pfft, rowanberries are sour. I'm not going to put ice in my hat, for I have every reason to rip my game-pants!
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #163623 on: October 08, 2015, 10:24:44 am »

My baby had her first solid food today!

Carrot puree. I had some as well. Was delish.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #163624 on: October 08, 2015, 10:30:51 am »

My baby had her first solid food today!

Carrot puree. I had some as well. Was delish.

I'm told my mother used to steal baby food from me and my siblings all the time. You are not alone!

Obstruct your mitten, y'hear!?
Pfft, rowanberries are sour. I'm not going to put ice in my hat, for I have every reason to rip my game-pants!

Don't put a spoon in your eye over it.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #163625 on: October 08, 2015, 11:11:32 am »

Netflix has "audio descriptions" now!  At least for the latest season of White Collar, I didn't check any others yet.  But it must be a recent change, and also it turned off the text subtitles, so I bet they just rolled it out.

Considering I like to listen to TV while playing games or driving, this could be very very useful and nice!
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163626 on: October 08, 2015, 11:22:00 am »

Are you comparing English chatspeak to professional Japanese voice acting? Of course the latter is more artistically appealing. Put a Japanese teenager's text history next to House of Cards or something and I'm sure you can make English look way better.
To completely spell it out again:
I was watching The Great Gatsby- A movie which is surprisingly filled with a cavalcade of English prose.
I was lamenting the current decline of the English language. (The chatspeak you mentioned, plus our dropping of various synonyms).
Then I began to watch some anime.
That caused me to realize that despite our language becoming More basic, it is still not as basic as some other languages.

You completely missed my point. But seeing as I needed about three posts (four now) to clear up exactly what I was saying, my point can't have been great to begin with.
That being said, Don't compare House of Cards to Gatsby. It's flowery metaphors compared to flowery prose.
Basically apples vs oranges except oranges are better.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #163627 on: October 08, 2015, 11:24:43 am »

Somebody complimented me with my pullover

c:

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163628 on: October 08, 2015, 11:46:27 am »

But Tack, anime dialogue has absolutely nothing to do with any language spoken by actual people. You can watch three episodes of subbed Nuhroodo, and you'll completely understand the fourth episode without subs. When I started watching animu back in 2004 or whatever, it took me less than two years to "master" the language to the extent that I could join the Raw Master Race with all the smugness and audacity of a teenage nerd. It did not, however, mean that I could suddenly speak Japanese, or even understand the actual Japanese spoken by Japanese people. I had simply memorized all the hackneyed stock phrases, and that was enough because those phrases constitute 99.9% of animu banter.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #163629 on: October 08, 2015, 12:33:19 pm »

We finished our goddamn character sheets for Rogue Trader. Plus, the ship is finally ready. Now we wait on the GM and one other person, before finally playing.
so, so fucked
What type of character are you?
I am our GLORIOUS LEADER, the Rogue Trader.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #163630 on: October 08, 2015, 12:42:49 pm »

I think BD has implemented factional loyalty :o

A reverant's fireball damaged one chaingunner, and his shotgun buddies reacted by shooting at the skelington.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163631 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:12 pm »

We finished our goddamn character sheets for Rogue Trader. Plus, the ship is finally ready. Now we wait on the GM and one other person, before finally playing.
so, so fucked
What type of character are you?
I am our GLORIOUS LEADER, the Rogue Trader.
Whoa. Good luck :D
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #163632 on: October 08, 2015, 02:00:17 pm »

I mean, German has a lot of handy words which English has either bastardized or romanticized in turn (Schadenfreude anyone) Because it's so hard to say 'Cathartic Sadism'.
"German has a lot of overly specific words", like "Eskimos have 50 words for snow", is kind of wrong, but moreover, it's wrong for the same linguistic reason, namely that both Inuit languages and German like to mash together words to make concepts that most languages (e.g. English) either have unique words for or express through several words with roughly equivalent meanings.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Comrade P.

• Bay Watcher
  • For space is wide and good friends are too few
    • View Profile
« Reply #163633 on: October 08, 2015, 02:03:06 pm »

Personally, I will never forgive English language for not having a separate word for 24-hour cycle. Alternatively, if someone could tell me that word, I would be very grateful.
Sigs

Nobody exists on purpose. Nobody belongs anywhere. Everybody’s gonna die. Come watch TV?

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #163634 on: October 08, 2015, 02:06:19 pm »

It's 'day'.

What do you mean that's the same word as 'day'?

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.
Pages: 1 ... 10907 10908 [10909] 10910 10911 ... 13325