Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10305 10306 [10307] 10308 10309 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15757120 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile

I've been interested in some sheet metal working courses near here. Which is weird because I have no interest in going into a profession that requires anything like that.
I think that metalworking is just one of those things that people find inherently attractive. Like fire or the insides of tall buildings.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Nobody can resist coming inside a nice tall building, if only just for a peak.

Metal is like humanwax. It's like the ultimate human material, we were made for it before we even knew we could have it.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Now I want to write a story about humans/aliens in a very metal rich environment that have the ability to ingest ore/metals and extrude it like wax, to be molded and shaped however they need.

Possibly go full!BEES and make them hive-minded too. Or better, individuals but who are compelled by pheromones/sounds emitted by the Queen. Like, go do what you want on your off-time, but you serve the Queen when she wants you to.

Giant cities full of extruded metal and worker-humans, working for the glory of the Iron Queen and her Hive.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 02:50:52 pm by Descan »
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

...besides the puking up processed steel, what makes this society different from any other monarchy?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Besides the literal inability to rebel?
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Give them saliva that's rich in mercury salts - then they'll be able to go full-on papier-mâché on their steel.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile

Ah, I see now.

Still, I was expecting more bee.
I make Spellcrafts!

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile

In your off time create a environmental mask/earmuffs that protects you from the queen's influence.   There ya go.  Rebellion.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

You'd have to explain that one to me, Helgo. :P

Greiger, the problem with that is that this society, from before sapience, has always been in control of a Queen. The idea of rebellion would be completely out of their ability to formulate on their own.

I WAS thinking of having human explorers come to this world and spark the idea of rebellion, though. I only really just thought this all up in the last hour though. If I were to write it, I'd spend a bit more time thinking things through logically and expunging as many cliche, hackney ideas as I can find. :P

Come to think of it, I don't really want to put humans in the story at all. I could make it so that someone was accidentally sealed off from the control, was given an order, and found they could disobey...

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Countered by having a command present: do not attempt to subvert your serfdom. Have a rewarding pulse of serotonin when you follow the queens command.

You'll get rebels rarely from that.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Again, the idea is that it's such an unthinkable act (I don't mean "evil" or something, I mean literally unthinkable, they can't get to Z because they don't even have A, let alone the intervening letters) that the Queen wouldn't think to give that command.

I'd need a reason why this guy is special that he's the first in hundreds of thousands of years to be sealed off. Possibly the first manned space-flight of this world?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

Nobody can resist coming inside a nice tall building
I'll say!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile

Mercury eating through a piece of aluminium.

The basic idea is that mercury can alloy itself with many metals (not iron though, I just remembered - you might want to claim artistic license there, or make up some technobabble), forming amalgams which are liquid if their mercury content is high enough; also mercury evaporates at ordinary temperatures. Critters with mercury-saliva would thus be able to literally mush up bits of metal and shape them into any forms desired, like wasps do with paper, or even use their saliva to 'weld' pieces of metal.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile

Iiiinteresting. :D

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile

Seems to me the happiness-from-following-commands would be something that developed naturally.

Could twist it with the noble American Human coming in, freeing the serfs, and promptly the whole thing goes tits-up because their society has been completely destroyed.

Mercury eating through a piece of aluminium.

The basic idea is that mercury can alloy itself with many metals (not iron though, I just remembered - you might want to claim artistic license there, or make up some technobabble), forming amalgams which are liquid if their mercury content is high enough; also mercury evaporates at ordinary temperatures. Critters with mercury-saliva would thus be able to literally mush up bits of metal and shape them into any forms desired, like wasps do with paper, or even use their saliva to 'weld' pieces of metal.

Isn't the metal rendered soft and weak afterwards though (effectively useless for building purposes), or am I just thinking of gallium?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...
Pages: 1 ... 10305 10306 [10307] 10308 10309 ... 13325