Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8839 8840 [8841] 8842 8843 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15757883 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: [\_|-|_/] Kanmusu hijack lawl (Happy thread!)
« Reply #132600 on: June 22, 2014, 11:56:09 pm »

Got new motervation for my 3d visualizer by looking at this screenshot:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132601 on: June 22, 2014, 11:57:27 pm »

Urge to embark.... rising....
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #132602 on: June 23, 2014, 12:02:06 am »

do iiiiit

give in to your dark side

we have cookies
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #132603 on: June 23, 2014, 12:04:33 am »

Re: FFIX

Distant third, for me.

VI, XII, IX, VII, VIII*, V, IV, X, III, X-2, I. That'd be how I'd rank them. VIII gets an asterisk because I'm pretty sure that if I replayed it today, it'd get bumped up past VII, and I'd have trouble deciding on its place relative to IX. I don't think there's anything that could dislodge VI or XII, though (and it's a hard pick between the two of them for which is #1). I just have a real soft spot for the kinds of stories those ones were telling; maybe I have a thing for ensemble casts?

Omissions are for games I haven't played, and I've also ignored the unnumbered ones like Tactics and suchlike.

EDIT: I've probably given a different ordering in the past. I'm an inconsistent one.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132604 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:38 am »

do iiiiit

we have cookies

But I don't want to start when DF2014 and multi-z-level view via Text Will Be Text are right around the corner  :'(
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132605 on: June 23, 2014, 12:06:56 am »

Wait, I is worse than X-2? I'm contesting that because X-2 was awful beyond awful.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132606 on: June 23, 2014, 12:07:47 am »

do iiiiit

we have cookies

But I don't want to start when DF2014 and multi-z-level view via Text Will Be Text are right around the corner  :'(

Just do it anyway.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #132607 on: June 23, 2014, 12:08:45 am »

Kefka is best because he (mildly) SUCCEEDED. He destroyed a fuckton of the planet! HE BECAME GOD, FOR KEFKA'S SAKE!

Don't fuck with Kefka. He'll kick thine ass.

Also, Shadow was best partner.
do iiiiit

we have cookies

Just do it anyway.
Don't.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132608 on: June 23, 2014, 12:12:42 am »

do iiiiit

we have cookies

Just do it anyway.
Strike the Earth!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132609 on: June 23, 2014, 12:13:02 am »

Don't what?

...Oh, that was four words. When I get into a groove, it kind of gets hard to get out. Sorry.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132610 on: June 23, 2014, 12:16:16 am »

Kefka is best because the way he was used in the story was so unique.  Villains are usually major characters, especially in FF games.  They're the primary plot motivators in most stories, and as such it's usually necessary that they be interesting.  But FF6 didn't use their villain that way.  The story focused on the personal problems of the many protagonists, and Kefka's antics were mostly background to them finding resolution to those problems.  There was always an overarching backstory driven by him, but the many individual stories within the game mostly had little to do with him.  So instead of designing him to steal attention away from the personal backstory plots of the main cast, they decided to make him a completely one-dimensional character but so over the top that his screen time would still be fun and memorable.  I have never seen another villain like him.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132611 on: June 23, 2014, 12:24:15 am »

kefka is this sort of ham that you cherish and keep preserved in a cryogenic tube for future generations to cherish and potentially to smack them upside the head when they fail to do so

what's it with me and smacking people with meat today wow

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #132612 on: June 23, 2014, 12:27:36 am »

It's a shame that FFX's plot and characters were slapped with so much stupid, because the leveling system was actually really cool.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #132613 on: June 23, 2014, 12:28:38 am »

Wait, I is worse than X-2? I'm contesting that because X-2 was awful beyond awful.
In terms of doing new and interesting things for the time and setting standards and suchlike, I blows X-2 so far out of the water that Yuna has good empirical reasons to believe water is a myth. But, hell, I recall managing to get a few moments of fun out of X-2 over the course of the game, and at least it was pretty to look at. Had some quality music in places. It did have characters, although I don't remember any of them being particularly likable. All of that's more than I can say for FFI's original release, whose only value I can endorse is legacy. Which is huge, don't get me wrong.

I'd rather live in a world that never had X-2 than I, but I'd rather play X-2 than I.

Re: Villains

Yeah, that's the appeal in Kefka. He's a one-off in the series, in the regard SalmonGod's describing, I think. He's not a character, he's just a force of nature. He's a motivator for the plot, sure, and opposition to him is largely what unites the heroes, but he's basically just a plot device. He doesn't need development - even "He lost his mind in an early Magitek experiment", which is basically his entire backstory, is totally unnecessary to understanding his place in the game, which is why it's a throwaway line from an NPC in a building you'll never enter unless you're just exploring.

One of the reasons I like less some of the other villains in the series is that they have basically the same role in the story, but the narrative doesn't very effectively embrace it. It often felt kind of piled on. Kuja's probably the best they ever did at blending a character with a catastrophe, but many of the games have relied on the primary antagonist also being the world-ending threat personified, and it usually doesn't work out so well if you try to add in character development. I don't think they nailed the villain-as-character until XII (which is why it's so dear to me, actually), with Vayne, but they definitely did do some fairly good secondary antagonist characters before that (I've got good memories of Seifer).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #132614 on: June 23, 2014, 12:37:56 am »

X-2 is fun :I
Pages: 1 ... 8839 8840 [8841] 8842 8843 ... 13325