Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8832 8833 [8834] 8835 8836 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15762684 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: [\_|-|_/] Kanmusu hijack lawl (Happy thread!)
« Reply #132495 on: June 22, 2014, 03:10:15 pm »

I may go vegetarian once I have Soylent in steady supply.  It would feel great to cease contribution to factory farming.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #132496 on: June 22, 2014, 03:27:04 pm »

I'm very near to it, because meat is so damned expensive. I gotta admit, I'd also feel good about not having to deal with the hypocrisy, since I have never been able to afford meat that wasn't from animals raised in shitty conditions (which bothers me a whole lot more than does the killing itself). Of course, I've still got that problem with eggs, although it's somewhat mitigated by my irrational hatred of chickens.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132497 on: June 22, 2014, 03:29:36 pm »

What's your problem with eggs? It's not like chickens will magically stop laying them if people stopped eating them, and IIRC only unfertilized eggs are used in food.

I might be able to go vegetarian, with a lot of initial difficulty and probably only if needs demanded it. I could never EVER go vegan however.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #132498 on: June 22, 2014, 03:36:03 pm »

I may accidentally go vegetarian every now and again with Soylent...

Can't say I care too much about the plight of factory animals though.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #132499 on: June 22, 2014, 03:38:09 pm »

Me? Nothing in principle, but my understanding of the industry is that the relevant chickens have some awful nasty living conditions in a lot of cases, primarily the cheap ones.

I do wish I could stand to have Soylent more often but it turned out I like food too much, so now Soylent's just for meals at work.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #132500 on: June 22, 2014, 03:39:24 pm »

... my peepers must be broke, because it looked to me like someone becoming progressively less healthy/happy.
I first read this as peener.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #132501 on: June 22, 2014, 03:39:52 pm »

You could care because the methods are massively environmentally destructive.  Not trying to get preachy, just FYI there's more to it than the animal suffering.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #132502 on: June 22, 2014, 03:41:14 pm »

You could care because the methods are massively environmentally destructive.  Not trying to get preachy, just FYI there's more to it than the animal suffering.

That argument relies on the target's level of fuck-givery towards the environment, though :P
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132503 on: June 22, 2014, 03:41:58 pm »

One of these days I'll do the soylent thing. If you didn't have to buy so much at once, I'd probably just do it already, but there's too much up front cost.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Imperial Guardsman

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANATICISM INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #132504 on: June 22, 2014, 03:44:29 pm »

... my peepers must be broke, because it looked to me like someone becoming progressively less healthy/happy.
I first read this as peener.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #132505 on: June 22, 2014, 03:46:32 pm »

I could never see myself going vegetarian or vegan, mainly because animal abuse tastes so good
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132506 on: June 22, 2014, 03:49:13 pm »

Well, I need more balance in my diet. Just about every vegetable and fruit I've ever tried has triggered my gag reflex since about the age of 3. Spinach, of all things, is the only exception, and I don't eat nearly enough of it to matter.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #132507 on: June 22, 2014, 03:49:23 pm »

Topic-relevant hi-jack: what is the best thing to put on toast or a sandwich to fill you up for hours? Like, so far I've been doing peanut butter and bananas before or during work or school, but I still am shaking by the end of the workday/schoolday (I refuse to pay the highway robbery cafeteria prices). Should I switch to BLT, or what?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 03:51:25 pm by freeformschooler »

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #132508 on: June 22, 2014, 03:51:40 pm »

I like cheese, cucumber, tomato, and garlic. And of course lots and lots of mayonnaise...

I was under the impression farms in general are environmentally destructive.

Also, it's not that I actively don't care. It's just that when I think about my shopping habits it's at all influenced by animal well being.

There was actually some minor national "outrage" here a while ago because a lot of the chicken sold was from factory farms. So maybe meat in general is kinda okay here? I dunno :P

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #132509 on: June 22, 2014, 03:55:41 pm »

Id say that there's a lot more pressing matters in life than the plight of a chicken that's gonna make friends with 11 herbs and spices
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*
Pages: 1 ... 8832 8833 [8834] 8835 8836 ... 13325