Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8451 8452 [8453] 8454 8455 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15760708 times)

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
Re: [wot m8?] avin a giggle m8? (Happy thread?!)
« Reply #126780 on: April 17, 2014, 03:45:27 pm »

People actually watch the walking dead? This is a real thing? It's pretty much an overproduced soap opera with a zombie backdrop, how does it still have fans?

I'm not sure this is in the right thread.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126781 on: April 17, 2014, 03:53:28 pm »

an overproduced soap opera with a zombie backdrop
You say that like it's a bad thing.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #126782 on: April 17, 2014, 03:54:51 pm »

As someone who has to sit through actual ones on occasion, I can say I vastly prefer the bad acting and low budgets. At least then the bad writing doesn't blindside you.

Yes I have to sit through a few, Janet has a soft spot for a few still airing since she used to watch them when she was little and never stopped.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126783 on: April 17, 2014, 04:13:19 pm »

The first season of The Walking Dead was pretty good... but I felt like the writing backslided heavily into the second season, to the point where I stopped watching, the characters suddenly seemed to start doing stupid things more and more and creating unnecessary drama for themselves...
Which was kind of dumb, because although I know that drama is sort of the point of these shows, but when you've got an environment to create drama for you, you don't need all the characters antagonising each other like that all the time.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #126784 on: April 17, 2014, 04:16:06 pm »

People actually watch the walking dead? This is a real thing? It's pretty much an overproduced soap opera with a zombie backdrop, how does it still have fans?

THANK YOU. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I tried to watch an episode or two and all I could think was "This is The Young and the Restless with zombies." Most of the show was spent on characters staring each other down or plotting against each other. The actual zombies weren't really much of a threat.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #126785 on: April 17, 2014, 04:19:25 pm »

I'm only just second season, but I like it so far. I don't love it, but I do watch it. I don't like hearing that it gets worse in later seasons, but ah well. For now, it's something to watch that doesn't end with me throwing something at the laptop.  :)
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126786 on: April 17, 2014, 04:22:33 pm »

The actual zombies weren't really much of a threat.
That's pretty reasonable actually.
Humans without the smarts aren't really so much of a big deal.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126787 on: April 17, 2014, 04:24:34 pm »

THANK YOU. It's nice to know I'm not the only one.

I tried to watch an episode or two and all I could think was "This is The Young and the Restless with zombies." Most of the show was spent on characters staring each other down or plotting against each other. The actual zombies weren't really much of a threat.
Absolutely right. A show with zombies as its main premise should be about zombies, not internal drama. [/flame ignition]
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:26:42 pm by Knit tie »

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #126788 on: April 17, 2014, 04:26:03 pm »

I take it there are less zombies later on, then?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126789 on: April 17, 2014, 04:27:02 pm »

Second season slowed it down too much, at least for the first half.  The later seasons were better imo (though the first season is probably the best).

Though for me the bad writing and characters being dumber than a bag of hair is half the appeal of the show; I watch it with tongue planted firmly in cheek.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I think the nature of a zombie threat is such that for an ongoing tv series it's inevitable that it'll take a back seat to internal group conflict and other human groups after a while though.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126790 on: April 17, 2014, 04:45:11 pm »

Absolutely right. A show with zombies as its main premise should be about zombies, not internal drama. [/flame ignition]
Well that might be a little harsh, there are a lot of different kinds of Zombie fiction, and they take a lot of different takes on it, but the Zombie-fiction genre is heavily about the people surviving the apocalypse rather than the apocalypse itself.
It's commonly all about people struggling to overcome trials and cope with the general pressure of it all. As well as the potential for being pressured into making more and more immoral decisions, it allows us to ask questions like, "What would you do to survive?". Would you steal from someone? Would you kill someone? And how far is looting and killing zombies removed from theft and murder anyway?

Zombies can be a useful vehicle for exploring this because they provide a constant threat that places pressure on people.
I am of course ignoring grind house style zombie fiction which is all about characters mowing down large quantities of mooks in zombie form. Though like I said, there's different styles of zombie fiction.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126791 on: April 17, 2014, 04:54:34 pm »

Well that might be a little harsh, there are a lot of different kinds of Zombie fiction, and they take a lot of different takes on it, but the Zombie-fiction genre is heavily about the people surviving the apocalypse rather than the apocalypse itself.
It's commonly all about people struggling to overcome trials and cope with the general pressure of it all. As well as the potential for being pressured into making more and more immoral decisions, it allows us to ask questions like, "What would you do to survive?". Would you steal from someone? Would you kill someone? And how far is looting and killing zombies removed from theft and murder anyway?

Zombies can be a useful vehicle for exploring this because they provide a constant threat that places pressure on people.
I am of course ignoring grind house style zombie fiction which is all about characters mowing down large quantities of mooks in zombie form. Though like I said, there's different styles of zombie fiction.
I agree, cue the [/flame ignition] above. But the "walking dead" still has issues with writing and characters' common sense.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126792 on: April 17, 2014, 05:09:10 pm »

Well I like it.  *Hrumps*.

I do admit its not as good as the comic and occasionally has seriously plot flaws though...  Like when Dale used his ESP to figure out that Shane was a bad guy.   :P
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #126793 on: April 17, 2014, 05:11:49 pm »

Second season slowed it down too much, at least for the first half.  The later seasons were better imo (though the first season is probably the best).
No. The sheer amount of annoying children moments in season 1 is unbearable. Also the people saying you shouldn't train the children to use weapons in a zombie apocalypse... How well does that turn out again? Oh yeah, all the children except the one trained to use weapons die. But honestly, the children were just so annoying I cried every time they found them again. It's like they existed to parasitically draw attention from the plot and nothing else.

I watch the walking dead and I also watch the resident evil movies.
I don't know why either. Zombie consumerism, awesomeness creates franchise momentum that can allow a sharp decrease in quality whilst maintaining the consumer base. I also like watching zombie gibs and giant axes.

Also I may be watching the walking dead just to hear Rick say CARRRLLLL.

Biowraith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126794 on: April 17, 2014, 05:19:02 pm »

No. The sheer amount of annoying children moments in season 1 is unbearable.
I don't actually remember any annoying children moments in season 1.  I do remember people discussing how much they wanted Carl to become zombie chow, but I guess my mind has blocked out the moments themselves.

I mostly think of the first season as the best because it was still in the whole figuring out what's going on and learning how to not get eaten phase (and the amusement that these idiots managed to survive at all).  I dunno if it'd still measure up if I actually watched it again.
Pages: 1 ... 8451 8452 [8453] 8454 8455 ... 13325