Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8330 8331 [8332] 8333 8334 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15778116 times)

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
Re: [!!PIZZA!!] CAN YOU GUESS WHAT, ITS A MYSTERY (happy thread?!)
« Reply #124965 on: March 24, 2014, 06:33:04 pm »

No wonder her head turned into a flan.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #124966 on: March 24, 2014, 07:01:07 pm »

...In what of all possible worlds does mouthwash taste bitter? What a horrible place to live! I understand their confusion.
Love, scriver~

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124967 on: March 24, 2014, 07:09:00 pm »

She got Acrid flavor.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #124968 on: March 24, 2014, 07:18:57 pm »

Make sure you name your maneuvers so if you don't die you can try it again.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124969 on: March 24, 2014, 07:29:35 pm »

Theoretically? No idea. Practically? Probably impossible to even do it. IIRC Wormholes, if they even exist, are pretty un-moveable. Rips in space-time tend to be. And even if you could make them in-situ... Good luck setting up your equipment inside a star? o-o
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124970 on: March 24, 2014, 07:32:25 pm »

To deceive is to exist, to exist, deceive! Truth is not a matter of not lying, but rather a matter of deciding how you lie, to whom, and the extent to which your lies cohere to that which is called fact. As you say, often your body lies for you, even if your mind wishes otherwise.

This paragraph is brilliant- you really sum the issue up.
Every human being lies, just about every time they interact with another human. (Barring some sorta telepathic hivemind, I guess.)
There a different kinds of lies, different sizes of 'em, but everyone uses at least some kinds.

Maybe you think you "aren't a liar" because you tell friends something you're ashamed of, or confess when you do something bad, or you explain that you aren't a natural redhead- well, that's silly.
When was the last time you told someone what you really thought of them? When was the last time you told [AUTHORITY/BOSS] that the reason you missed your appointment was because you're a lazy shite? When was the last time you gave someone an actual answer when they asked "how are you"?
Civilization would fall into ruin if not for lies. Imagine if lying was suddenly gone.
Imagine a man greeting his new neighbour with, "Hi, I'm Bob. I think your face is ugly, you seem like trailer trash and I totally want to sleep with your hot wife. Is that a toupe? How much do you earn in a year?"
How do you see that going...?

tl;dr: The entirety of any form of human civilization is built upon lies, and anyone who thinks they aren't a liar is lying to themselves. In addition, even without that belief everyone does lie to themselves anyway. This post is true, honest.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #124971 on: March 24, 2014, 07:37:56 pm »

To deceive is to exist, to exist, deceive! Truth is not a matter of not lying, but rather a matter of deciding how you lie, to whom, and the extent to which your lies cohere to that which is called fact. As you say, often your body lies for you, even if your mind wishes otherwise.

This paragraph is brilliant- you really sum the issue up.
Every human being lies, just about every time they interact with another human. (Barring some sorta telepathic hivemind, I guess.)
There a different kinds of lies, different sizes of 'em, but everyone uses at least some kinds.

Maybe you think you "aren't a liar" because you tell friends something you're ashamed of, or confess when you do something bad, or you explain that you aren't a natural redhead- well, that's silly.
When was the last time you told someone what you really thought of them? When was the last time you told [AUTHORITY/BOSS] that the reason you missed your appointment was because you're a lazy shite? When was the last time you gave someone an actual answer when they asked "how are you"?
Civilization would fall into ruin if not for lies. Imagine if lying was suddenly gone.
Imagine a man greeting his new neighbour with, "Hi, I'm Bob. I think your face is ugly, you seem like trailer trash and I totally want to sleep with your hot wife. Is that a toupe? How much do you earn in a year?"
How do you see that going...?

tl;dr: The entirety of any form of human civilization is built upon lies, and anyone who thinks they aren't a liar is lying to themselves. In addition, even without that belief everyone does lie to themselves anyway. This post is true, honest.
...I don't know if you're serious or joking that lying is now an 'inherent' fact of human coexistance/communication (given your 'just about every time they interact with another human') or if I should post this in the sad thread. As in, how people value each other.
>_>
Imagine if lying was suddenly gone.
What would happen then, huh?
I see quite much how it is, in reality. Here, it's not that people choose to lie to preserve their whatever, they just withhold the truth by not speaking anything to hide it. No lies. Or rather, the lacking commonality of lies to give clarity to my point.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:40:19 pm by Tiruin »

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #124972 on: March 24, 2014, 07:44:37 pm »

I got a haircut today, and new glasses.
I feel good, and can see much better.

(Just so you know, I grow my hair out for the winter because it's warm, so getting it cut feels like it's taking a whole pound off my head.)
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124973 on: March 24, 2014, 07:45:59 pm »

@Tir:
I am completely serious, but I  don't see it as Sad Thread material.
There's nothing inherently bad about lying, after all- life would be miserable without it!

Also: Witholding the truth=lying. Again, nothing at all wrong with that.
It is only when people lie with serious malicious intent that it becomes a moral problem.

fakeedit: Sorry for posting the whole quote block, but it's very hard to neaten things up on this tablet... or type, for that matter.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124974 on: March 24, 2014, 07:48:27 pm »

I imagine that, should lying suddenly be made impossible, there'd be a lot of awkward situations.

Followed by people adapting to it and using a lot more withholding the truth or referring to something that fits the question, but doesn't give away what they don't want it to give away.
Or people actually noticing that its in their values that make them utter a lie or not that is the case. I'm not lying when I say that I'm completely confused by how one can blatantly state: 'Hey you're ugly and you seem like trailer trash.' and mean it, so hence why I say that its in the values one hold to the self and to others in that manner.

Yoink's note provides clear examples of such values.

Also: Witholding the truth=lying. Again, nothing at all wrong with that.
...How?

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #124975 on: March 24, 2014, 07:52:25 pm »

Look, there's protecting your standards and being far too optimistic.

There's a massive difference between lying, and capital L Lying. The former isnt bad and most people don't even consider lying or being dishonest. But how to lie is one of the first things most of us learn as children, and it's something important as a defense mechanism and for preventing social accidents later in life.

This really isn't part of the topic though, so maybe moving it somewhere else or dropping it before Janet pops back in might be a good idea.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124976 on: March 24, 2014, 07:57:24 pm »

Withholding the truth and lying are different. Lying is fabricating something that isn't the truth. Withholding the truth is simply not stating it.

Well, if someone were to replace lying with this definition of "withholding the truth", that would basically mean simply not talking.

@Owlga: Well, I don't see this as any form of unpleasantness or heated discussion, but if you want the derail to end, okay.
*Takes a break from the exhausting effort of tablet-typing*
Booze is Life for Yoink

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #124977 on: March 24, 2014, 08:01:02 pm »

It's more it's off topic is all, some people seem to be taking it a little too seriously too if they're thinking it's time to take it to the sad thread.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124978 on: March 24, 2014, 08:06:24 pm »

Current happy: Mum's delicious cheese sauce over steamed potatos.
As much as I dislike being sick and babied, this stuff is delicious. :)
Booze is Life for Yoink

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124979 on: March 24, 2014, 08:08:04 pm »

Yeah...
Sorry 'bout that. u_u

Withholding the truth and lying are different. Lying is fabricating something that isn't the truth. Withholding the truth is simply not stating it.

Well, if someone were to replace lying with this definition of "withholding the truth", that would basically mean simply not talking.
...But that's also a different thing! xD
Simply not talking isn't exactly = withholding the truth.

So I've a tree growing by our house and (sans any local mythology ;P) every morning I wake up to look at the branches just mere feet from the window-my window-and see some of the branches filled with these tiny fluffy things. Their song is my morning alarm clock. :P
Pages: 1 ... 8330 8331 [8332] 8333 8334 ... 13325