Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8280 8281 [8282] 8283 8284 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15764334 times)

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
Re: [!!PIZZA!!] CAN YOU GUESS WHAT, ITS A MYSTERY (happy thread?!)
« Reply #124215 on: March 16, 2014, 10:41:12 pm »

Hohoho finally found a couple giant mech shows that I love. I mean Gundam's great and all, but I'd always been craving something slightly more grounded and with less talking.
naaaaaaammmmmeeeeesssss
Armored Trooper VOTOMS for a very different kind of experience for those with experience only in Gundam. Slightly less talking, lots of explosions and ultra-violence, as well as a competent as fuck protag in the original show (FUCK YOU AMURO). And damn if them 3D OVAs aren't the best thing since IGLOO. Those are my favorite, but the show is also great because (at least in the OVAs I saw) it LOVES to show the pilots getting shot up in their cockpits, which is awesome. Also the name is badass.

Patlabor for a mech show that's NOT about war (mostly. there's elements of political drama sometimes). The mechs also aren't unstoppable killing machines! Wow! They have to undergo repairs, and they often cause shitloads of property damage whenever they get sent out. Mostly the Labors (thats what the robots are called) are used for menial tasks which is where they get their name, but with this new tech comes new kinds of threats, both criminal and terrorist, and the police labor force gotta handle it. Awwww sheeeeee- But yeah its great.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124216 on: March 16, 2014, 10:44:05 pm »

... votoms? I... I think I remember the SNES game? Know the name as an anime, but never saw any. Hrm.

Wait, no, that was cybernator/ Assault Suits Valken. Though there does appear to be an actual Votoms SNES game I don't think I ever played. Hrm.

Though ah. Yeah, I've seen a lil' Patlabor. Plus it's come up in crossover fanfiction a bit over the years, stuff like that. Some of the old Ranma 1/2 fic writers were somewhat fond of it. Somewhere on the same level as that... other one. The one with the boss lingerie saleswomen or... something. Nene the techy policewoman whatsit. Whatever that was.

E: Bubblegum Crisis. There we go.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 10:48:51 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #124217 on: March 16, 2014, 10:52:45 pm »

I started watching Bubblegum Crisis a while back. I feel like it gets better the further you get into it.

Also, Patlabor doesn't have mechs in it every single second, in case anyone gets their hopes up. Its also very lighthearted from what I've seen of the first few episodes. :p

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124218 on: March 16, 2014, 11:06:54 pm »

I aced a test.

No idea how, since I looked through my text afterwards and know that I had gotten a few wrong, but whatever, I'll take it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #124220 on: March 16, 2014, 11:13:44 pm »

I looked through my text afterwards and know that I had gotten a few wrong, but whatever, I'll take it.
*winkwinknudgenudge
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #124221 on: March 16, 2014, 11:33:38 pm »

Wait, no, that was cybernator/ Assault Suits Valken.

How many people played that, anyway? You don't hear much about somewhat minor SNES games like that anymore...

I mean, that and Phalanx were a couple of my favorite games. Of course, everyone knows about Phalanx now due to the fact that it has an old banjo man on the cover despite being a shmup, but whatever.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #124222 on: March 16, 2014, 11:49:18 pm »

Whoa, Vi Hart is on Khan Academy apparently. https://www.khanacademy.org/math/recreational-math/vi-hart/
I discovered that the other day while trying to use KA for productive ends; I lost the next twenty minutes instead.

Happy: I had to watch a film adaption of Romeo and Juliet for a course, and it was significantly better than I expected.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #124223 on: March 17, 2014, 12:02:41 am »

Wait, no, that was cybernator/ Assault Suits Valken.

How many people played that, anyway? You don't hear much about somewhat minor SNES games like that anymore...

I mean, that and Phalanx were a couple of my favorite games. Of course, everyone knows about Phalanx now due to the fact that it has an old banjo man on the cover despite being a shmup, but whatever.
Enough people it got a translation/retranslation, anyway.

I don't even know if I remember Phalanx*. Played Valken long after I no longer had a functioning SNES, but that other one... Metal Warriors? That played somewhat similar I actually rocked with on a console, back in the day. Then later came Front Mission: Gun Hazard. There's something about that side-scrolling mecha control scheme sort of thing that was just kinda' awesome. The general aesthetic of it, I guess. I'd play the crap out of something more modern along the lines of Gun Hazard, I think.

*E: Looking it up, definitely not. Never played it, even if I was aware of it at some point. About the only side-scrolling SHMUP from the SNES era I particularly enjoyed or played much was R-Type, iirc. Dabbled a little with gradius but eehhh.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 12:04:43 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AlleeCat

• Bay Watcher
  • Black, the beast, descends from shadows...
    • View Profile
« Reply #124224 on: March 17, 2014, 12:41:55 am »

Episode 15 is best if only for the nightclub scene~
This isn't the animation you're looking for.
You may be thinking of Digital Devil Story, the novels that the Shin Megami Tensei games were based on, but even so, that aint it.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #124225 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:44 am »

Whoa, Vi Hart is on Khan Academy apparently. https://www.khanacademy.org/math/recreational-math/vi-hart/
I discovered that the other day while trying to use KA for productive ends; I lost the next twenty minutes instead.

Happy: I had to watch a film adaption of Romeo and Juliet for a course, and it was significantly better than I expected.
which adaptation is this?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #124226 on: March 17, 2014, 02:19:36 am »

American Psycho.

Torturerapemudernecrophilia is amazingly fun to read about.

edit: now I think about it, I'm not sure if there really was rape.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:30:01 am by Dutchling »

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #124227 on: March 17, 2014, 02:37:39 am »

which adaptation is this?
Baz Luhrmann "Romeo + Juliet", Leonardo DiCaprio and Claire Danes. It's set in 20th century Verona, so I expected it to have extensive "I'm a movie maker, so I know better than the most famous playwright ever!" editing, but there was almost none.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #124228 on: March 17, 2014, 02:41:13 am »

I remember that. It was very silly.

Quoting the actual Shakespeare lines while shooting up a gas station. :v

[Note: Silly doesn't mean bad]
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #124229 on: March 17, 2014, 02:45:34 am »

I remember that. It was very silly.

Quoting the actual Shakespeare lines while shooting up a gas station. :v

[Note: Silly doesn't mean bad]
"Do you bite your thumb at me sir!!"
"I do bite my thumb sir!"
<screaming>"Do you bite your thumb at us sir!!!"
"Is the law with me if I say I do!!!"
"No!!'
"Then I do bite my thumb, but not at thee sir!!"

Whilst wielding semi-automatics and leaning on cars. Also guns called Swords.

Edit for additional happy: I passed the maths test I thought I failed!

Pages: 1 ... 8280 8281 [8282] 8283 8284 ... 13325