Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7573 7574 [7575] 7576 7577 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15763388 times)

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
Re: [ლ( ლ)] He comes (Happy thread)
« Reply #113610 on: September 28, 2013, 01:37:45 pm »

Met up with good mate for piss up. Accidentally broke his rib. Gave small bottle of vodka in compensation, and we're chilled again. Faith in humanity restored.
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113611 on: September 28, 2013, 01:53:36 pm »

"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

sjm9876

• Bay Watcher
  • Did not so much Fall as Saunter Vaguely Downwards
    • View Profile
My dreams are not unlike yours - they long for the safety, and break like a glass chandelier.
But there's laughter and oh there is love, just past the edge of our fears.
And there's chaos when push comes to shove, but it's music to my ears.

Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #113613 on: September 28, 2013, 02:01:55 pm »

Remember that Doom motorcycle from a few days ago?

He's also going to be making a Doom tank after Brutal Doom v.19 is finally finished.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113614 on: September 28, 2013, 02:13:35 pm »

Had a long and therapeutic conversation about my family history, which answered a lot of questions about my parents, their early marriage, and their divorce. Had the added benefit of helping me work through a bunch of things I'd put on emotional layaway. It's... maybe a little weird to get pissed off at the things people did 15-20 years after they happened, but I wasn't capable of rationalizing them, or even being angry back then. Doesn't really change my opinion, but everything feels a bit more manageable and human in scale now. Stuff I can reasonably deal with.

And to continue the run of links, this was a little bitter, but also made me kind of happy. Damned Millennials; why do we have to be so terrible?

Itnetlolor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #113615 on: September 28, 2013, 02:38:55 pm »

Remember that Doom motorcycle from a few days ago?

He's also going to be making a Doom tank after Brutal Doom v.19 is finally finished.
This demands a Full Throttle Mod to be made from it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113616 on: September 28, 2013, 03:02:19 pm »

I have no idea what a rosalind problem is.

Anyway, my goal, if I have control over the project instead of being a subsidiary researcher for another project, is to toss it at everyone as free-of-charge as I can make it, depending on what the method arrived at is. I will not be the progenitor of a fucking dystopia, goddamnit.

I'm all for brain uploading if it's not a continuity-destroying method. :3 I might need to learn Russian >_>
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113617 on: September 28, 2013, 03:16:12 pm »

brain uploads, huh

just thinking of what i could do if not confined by my own physiology makes me feel warm and fuzzy. though a lot of concepts are dependent on having a functional wetware platform to work with...

i'd say it's going to be a mixed blessing when it happens.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113618 on: September 28, 2013, 03:18:19 pm »

You get to sleep with tall blue aliens!

Though they do look like cats, [un?]fortunately.
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #113619 on: September 28, 2013, 03:18:52 pm »

brain uploads, huh

just thinking of what i could do if not confined by my own physiology makes me feel warm and fuzzy. though a lot of concepts are dependent on having a functional wetware platform to work with...

i'd say it's going to be a mixed blessing when it happens.
Simulated happy-chemicals all day every day.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113620 on: September 28, 2013, 03:23:32 pm »

The guy who lived here before me abandoned a little moleskine notebook, which is too small to really write anything down in detail.

It is not, however, too small to make a flip-book of Dream Project ideas, one per page, so that when I'm feeling unguided in the world, like I am today, I can flip through the pages and think about trying to make something happen.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #113621 on: September 28, 2013, 03:29:55 pm »

I'm all for brain uploading if it's not a continuity-destroying method.

There's no way to experimentally determine if something that fully reconstructs an exact simulation, replica or simulacrum of a brain breaks continuity. The only source would be the one who had already been reconstructed, and that person wouldn't be able to tell; they would have experienced the whole thing, including the process of replication or simulation, and that person wouldn't be able to tell you if continuity was broken, as, to them, it wasn't.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #113622 on: September 28, 2013, 03:38:29 pm »

True. It's more of a philosophical point at any rate. My goal-method is a gradual change of neurons or semi-large brain structures to an artificial analog, while the patient is awake (nano-particles that wrap the neuron, destroy it, and replace it? Connecting the new piece to the brain before excising the old piece?), to best combat the idea that "I am not the same person I was when I came in," because they'd have no "memory loss" associated with unconsciousnesses, or being asleep.

After the brain has been replaced in this way, moving the brain, upgrading it with additional structures or neurons, or adding a radio-transceiver to allow avatars of other bodies should be much easier. Comparatively.

lue

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:missing right bracket
    • View Profile
« Reply #113623 on: September 28, 2013, 03:52:07 pm »

I too find brain uploading an intriguing idea, including how it opens a whole can of philosophical worms :) .
Post not guaranteed accurate or pristine for all of time.
Sigtext. Enticing, yes? If you do not know where things I have "sigged" go, this page will explain.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #113624 on: September 28, 2013, 04:07:30 pm »

I'm all for brain uploading if it's not a continuity-destroying method.

There's no way to experimentally determine if something that fully reconstructs an exact simulation, replica or simulacrum of a brain breaks continuity. The only source would be the one who had already been reconstructed, and that person wouldn't be able to tell; they would have experienced the whole thing, including the process of replication or simulation, and that person wouldn't be able to tell you if continuity was broken, as, to them, it wasn't.

Yep, that's my problem with that. You could kill someone and neither you, nor the simulation, could know that you have destroyed an independent consciousness. I'd prefer not to tamper with wetware if it could be avoided.

As for immortality, as amusing and somewhat cliche it might be, the easiest way to achieve immortality is by not dying. That's why life expectancy doubled from 1600s - we eliminated the things that were the most common killers - infectious diseases. If we eliminate heart diseases and cancer, the primary modern killers, we can make it even higher.

If you think 'cool, but I'll end up being a 160 year old, wrinkled old geezer unable to enjoy life fully' - aging is not a function of time (i.e. how long you lived), but of damage at genetic and biochemical level - damage which can be halted, prevented or even reversed - yes, it had been demonstrated in rats/mice (can't remember right now) that you can de-age an organism.

Also, Descan, I'm not sure where you live, but there are other initiatives along the lines, for example SENS.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 7573 7574 [7575] 7576 7577 ... 13325