Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7494 7495 [7496] 7497 7498 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15740901 times)

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
Re: [ヽ(°ヮ。)ノ] HEADPANTS RETURNS! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #112425 on: September 08, 2013, 09:23:19 pm »

The Rift is probably going to be the first VR device that really sells and will really work financially, due to the fact that everyone who tries it says that it is amazing. And it has gotten me thinking about something.

Over the past two decades immersion and graphics have improved substantially, and looking down the line it doesn't show any signs of slowing.

If we continue the trend of increasing immersion, we will eventually get to a point where games are more immersive and realistic then real life. The colors sharper, the sounds clearer, and even with smells and other physical sensations (eg. pain analogues that don't actually hurt).
A point where going back to the real world will be akin to playing 3D games from the 90's, they can be amazing, but it will be a effort to adjust to the graphics.

Now, obviously this can't even be remotely approached by modern techniques, or anything visible down the line, but I am almost completely sure that it will be true in 30-40 years (it may be expensive, but it will exist).

This makes both me happy and terrified.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2013, 09:29:35 pm by lemon10 »
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #112426 on: September 08, 2013, 10:07:37 pm »

I look forward to the day where I can become the robot overlord.
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #112427 on: September 08, 2013, 10:46:02 pm »

If we continue the trend of increasing immersion, we will eventually get to a point where games are more immersive and realistic then real life. The colors sharper, the sounds clearer, and even with smells and other physical sensations (eg. pain analogues that don't actually hurt).
A point where going back to the real world will be akin to playing 3D games from the 90's, they can be amazing, but it will be a effort to adjust to the graphics.
Firstly, without glasses, I would be legally blind. And due to my poor far distance vision, video games often are sharper and clearer than reality if my prescription is a bit old. :P

Secondly, no. No one wants to be punched in the gut when they get shot in a video game, nor do they want to smell the gore-streaked trenches of WW1 or taste the air in the sewer level.

Audio, though... Audio will get better along with visuals. There is so much you can do with audio which generally isn't done today; largely because much of it is computationally expensive, and because the best stuff only works for headphones and flat out will not work with surround sound or speaker systems. From what I've read, if you use the right techniques, even a $15 pair of headphones from Walmart will be better than a several hundred dollar speaker sound system. Things like Virtual Barbershop.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112428 on: September 08, 2013, 10:59:47 pm »

Secondly, no. No one wants to be punched in the gut when they get shot in a video game, nor do they want to smell the gore-streaked trenches of WW1 or taste the air in the sewer level.
Actually, that would be pretty awesome, especially if it was a light punch.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #112429 on: September 08, 2013, 11:03:27 pm »

... not no one. There's already some (crude) feedback systems around for some games, iirc, and there's definitely a non-negligible minority that would be into something like that, just like there's people that like slamming into each other on a ball field. Some people just really like full contact. Plus there's a lot of tactile feedback beyond pain that would be hella' impressive. Wind, physical textures, touch puzzles, etc., so forth, so on. And that's without getting into any salacious uses thereof (they're already working on that!).

As for the smell... yeah, there's going to be folks that want that, too. Probably even moreso than pain/etc. feedback. It would be an incredible increase in immersion -- humans are seriously tied into scent when it comes to some things -- and there's definitely people that would be into it, even the nastier stuff.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #112430 on: September 08, 2013, 11:06:30 pm »

Do I sense a new way to deal with uppity nobles in the new devlog? Why, I daresay I do.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #112431 on: September 08, 2013, 11:10:51 pm »

I wouldn't mind it either, actually.  I'm already pretty good at distancing myself from real pain by just being mindful that my body is an object and the sensation is only a signal from it.  Especially easy if it's a hand or foot or something and then I can look at it and think "this sensation is all the way over there."  Would be even easier if I know it's only simulation.  Don't think I'd want to experience excruciating stuff anyway, but in an all-encompassing VR experience, I think something would be called for.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112432 on: September 08, 2013, 11:22:54 pm »

Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + Razor Hydra = Childhood Fantasies Fufilled
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

kisame12794

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Arc Welder!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #112433 on: September 08, 2013, 11:35:58 pm »

This virtual barbershop is amazing. Holy shit that is so simple.
The non-assholes vastly outnumber the assholes but the assholes can fart with greater volume.
((You're an arm and a torso in low orbit. This was the best possible resolution of things.))

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #112434 on: September 09, 2013, 12:15:51 am »

Oculus Rift + Virtuix Omni + Razor Hydra = Childhood Fantasies Fufilled
We have the former and latter setup at work. It's hilarious, because whoever uses both always ends up almost putting holes through monitors or smacking somebody with them.

And I have somehow managed to not actually try the Occulus Rift despite being one of the graphics programmers for a game which will be supported Occulus Rift. A fact which I will need to remedy at some point.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112435 on: September 09, 2013, 12:36:43 am »

Adding the Omni will solve that particular issue. It does a spectacular job of allowing the user illusion of movement while actually keeping them completely immobilized.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #112436 on: September 09, 2013, 01:36:10 am »

I discovered another useful clean kill method for removing spiders, cryofreeze >:D

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #112438 on: September 09, 2013, 07:43:15 am »

One day soon, our world will be free of the golfing menace that has plagued it since the dawn of civilization.
No Gods, No Masters.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #112439 on: September 09, 2013, 09:04:35 am »

I once read a detective book that was half about solving a murder, and half about making fun of golf.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 7494 7495 [7496] 7497 7498 ... 13325