Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6675 6676 [6677] 6678 6679 ... 13326

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15841056 times)

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100140 on: February 26, 2013, 11:07:35 pm »

Physics is fun o_O
I just used twenty minutes to calculate how deep a dwarf that falls at terminal velocity into water would sink. He hit the water at 88.88 m/s and sank to 140 meters during 4.7 seconds then floated back towards the surface.
There's a good chance I did something wrong, but it was fun nevertheless. Also, Euler's Method. Or maybe it's iterative calculations.
Are you sure? I think he would splat before sinking that far.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: [Tomoko~] Because I'm not popular, Ill have an emotion thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #100141 on: February 26, 2013, 11:11:01 pm »

Same thing happened to me today.
Wow, I'm starting to think the human race may be even less adequate in getting anything done that we thought...

How is that game going, by the way? Your thread is sinking faster than a dwarf hitting water.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #100142 on: February 26, 2013, 11:14:41 pm »

Physics is fun o_O
I just used twenty minutes to calculate how deep a dwarf that falls at terminal velocity into water would sink. He hit the water at 88.88 m/s and sank to 140 meters during 4.7 seconds then floated back towards the surface.
There's a good chance I did something wrong, but it was fun nevertheless. Also, Euler's Method. Or maybe it's iterative calculations.
Are you sure? I think he would splat before sinking that far.
Being dead doesn't stop your body from being affected by physics.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #100143 on: February 26, 2013, 11:16:07 pm »

Yeah, but if your body parts separate, that could change things.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100144 on: February 26, 2013, 11:18:13 pm »

Wow, I'm starting to think the human race may be even less adequate in getting anything done that we thought...

Every time somebody tells me I'm doing something important, it takes all of my strength to not blurt out "you people have no idea how thin a thread you're hanging on by".  And then I see demonstrable proof that I'm one of the stronger threads.  My god.

What actually got me to stop saying stuff like that was when my boss intimated that he though my neurotically-frequent self-deprecation was false modesty.  That of all things was enough to get me to shut up and take it when someone says I'm doing good, because I definitely don't want to disappoint anyone by sounding like an ass.

How is that game going, by the way? Your thread is sinking faster than a dwarf hitting water.

Not well, mostly my fault.  I've been planning a status update for a few days, I might do it right now.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #100145 on: February 26, 2013, 11:21:17 pm »

Couldn't be going worse than my projects. I get internet connected at home on the 5th, but until I can't do much at all. Sort of dead in the water here.

Also planning on moving something from c# to Java, so that will be fun.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100146 on: February 27, 2013, 12:00:48 am »

Every time somebody tells me I'm doing something important, it takes all of my strength to not blurt out "you people have no idea how thin a thread you're hanging on by".  And then I see demonstrable proof that I'm one of the stronger threads.  My god.

What actually got me to stop saying stuff like that was when my boss intimated that he though my neurotically-frequent self-deprecation was false modesty.  That of all things was enough to get me to shut up and take it when someone says I'm doing good, because I definitely don't want to disappoint anyone by sounding like an ass.

Not well, mostly my fault.  I've been planning a status update for a few days, I might do it right now.

You're slacking off is actually a viable (and common) survival strategy. Work too hard and they'd begin to expect 110% all the time. This way, when the real crunch-time occurs, you can just say "ok, gotta cut back on the Minesweeper for a bit" and they'll think you're busting your gut.

There a probably a whole lot of people only working "just hard enough" for their set paycheck out there.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #100147 on: February 27, 2013, 12:07:11 am »

I just found (and ate) a It's it (delicious ice cream sandwich like thing) at the bottom of the freezer, when I was sure that we had nothing that tasty at all.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #100148 on: February 27, 2013, 12:18:20 am »

You're slacking off is actually a viable (and common) survival strategy. Work too hard and they'd begin to expect 110% all the time. This way, when the real crunch-time occurs, you can just say "ok, gotta cut back on the Minesweeper for a bit" and they'll think you're busting your gut.

There a probably a whole lot of people only working "just hard enough" for their set paycheck out there.

Plus if what I hear so often is true, and most workplaces are just like the one I'm sitting in right now, then they don't provide you any incentive to work hard.  They just take advantage of it when you do, and punish you when you fall too far below the average.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #100149 on: February 27, 2013, 12:25:06 am »

Feeling like a coding boss for finishing this somewhat-lengthy assignment. I mean, I know I can't do much with this programming compared to other people, but I'm facing these problems and I am solving them, and that makes me extremely happy.
Fuck yeah, I am experiencing the same with math. I may not be the best, but I'm getting shit done. And it's interesting shit.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100150 on: February 27, 2013, 12:31:34 am »

Plus if what I hear so often is true, and most workplaces are just like the one I'm sitting in right now, then they don't provide you any incentive to work hard.  They just take advantage of it when you do, and punish you when you fall too far below the average.

I'd like to think where I work is slightly different, but I know full well it's not that different.  I'm salaried, and because my boss chooses to work sixty hours a week he seems to think everyone else has it in them to do so as well, and that "paid the same no matter the hours" means "you're an employee 24/7, the 15ish hours a day off are a bonus not a right".  I've worked twelve hour days fueled by spite, I've worked on Saturdays for nothing more than a stern conversation, I've answered phone calls at midnight to talk through an issue until three in the morning.

I'll admit, my Christmas bonus of an extra month's pay is a pretty good mark that this company does actually give a shit about hard work, but there is a certain amount of "don't stick your neck out" born into me, especially thanks to my last job.  And to be perfectly honest, I'm not sure that busting ass all day every day would actually be more productive.  My boss has straight up said I've earned to right to put less time a day than other employees, because he sees me routinely get more done in eight hours than most people he's worked with do in nine or ten.  Part of this is precisely because I slack off once in a while, I can work damn hard when I work but I factor a certain amount of decompression-time into everything I do.

It's easy to get addicted to decompression sure, but when people are actually counting on me to get something done, I actually produce results.
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100151 on: February 27, 2013, 12:34:00 am »

Just spent a good long time ruling Tropico with an iron fist. ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Wrex

• Bay Watcher
  • My vision is augmented
    • View Profile
« Reply #100152 on: February 27, 2013, 12:37:46 am »

Viva El Presidente!

Mr Wrex, please do not eat my liver.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #100153 on: February 27, 2013, 12:45:04 am »

I think there's something wrong with the game that "partying capitalist" is a lot easier to pull off than "iron fisted tyrant".  My last attempt was a straight up effort to be a James Bond villain, with a militarized private island based entirely on tourism.  The common man serving the foreign dog at gunpoint, with Rebel Yell turned on just to spice things up a bit.  I got so caught up in building shit to keep people from revolting, and then building industry chains to pay for that shit, all of which made my Tourism Rating so unattractive it didn't like the right time, that it was 1977 before I built my first hotel.

By then, I was regularly topping 80% in completely free elections, my army and police force were basically just a jobs program, all of five people had ever become rebels, and even at its height my tourism industry was a minor slush fund on top of the industrial juggernauts of cigar rolling and arms manufacturing.  So, at least I was still evil-ish, I was just so good at it that everybody loved me instead of fearing me.

Hanslanda

• Bay Watcher
  • Baal's More Evil American Twin
    • View Profile
« Reply #100154 on: February 27, 2013, 12:52:23 am »

I think there's something wrong with the game that "partying capitalist" is a lot easier to pull off than "iron fisted tyrant".  My last attempt was a straight up effort to be a James Bond villain, with a militarized private island based entirely on tourism.  The common man serving the foreign dog at gunpoint, with Rebel Yell turned on just to spice things up a bit.  I got so caught up in building shit to keep people from revolting, and then building industry chains to pay for that shit, all of which made my Tourism Rating so unattractive it didn't like the right time, that it was 1977 before I built my first hotel.

By then, I was regularly topping 80% in completely free elections, my army and police force were basically just a jobs program, all of five people had ever become rebels, and even at its height my tourism industry was a minor slush fund on top of the industrial juggernauts of cigar rolling and arms manufacturing.  So, at least I was still evil-ish, I was just so good at it that everybody loved me instead of fearing me.

Aqizzar: Such an effective villain that everyone decides he isn't a villain.
Well, we could put two and two together and write a book: "The Shit that Hans and Max Did: You Won't Believe This Shit."
He's fucking with us.
Pages: 1 ... 6675 6676 [6677] 6678 6679 ... 13326