Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5883 5884 [5885] 5886 5887 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15798592 times)

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88260 on: September 14, 2012, 02:46:03 pm »

The Death Star can also move autonomously while moons are subject to the whims of gravity. I think there was also something about Palpatine using his Force powers to improve its fighting capabilities.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
Re: [WAN WAN WAN] Things Yasuna kept doing too long again thread. (HAPPY THREAD!)
« Reply #88261 on: September 14, 2012, 02:54:59 pm »

Apparently, I have gotten a few fans on Kongregate without knowing.
What have I done to deserve a fandom?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88262 on: September 14, 2012, 02:55:24 pm »

Good Lord I love having Star Wars debates, it almost never happens :D

1: I'd have to check my source book, but I believe it only took a single one of the Vong's gravity manipulators (though a larger-than-normal one) to bring down a moon. The Death Star might be able to resist a few of them, but it's rate of acceleration was abysmal compared to other Star Wars craft. Put enough gravity manipulators on it and not only would it fall, but they might even be able to keep it pointed away from the planet in question.
2: I can't recall in any instance in the series of the Death Star's main weapon being used on a gas giant. Would the Death Star be able to prevent itself from being destroyed by one of those? Upscaling further, there's no chance in hell of the beam having any effect on a star.
3: Big ships have a bad time with asteroid fields. I recall a moment in Episode V where the bridge of a Star Destroyer takes a direct hit from a space rock, and the ship's captain's image disappears from the conference in the next scene. Clearly something bad happened there.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #88263 on: September 14, 2012, 03:08:20 pm »

"What the Empire would have done was build a super-colossal Yuuzhan Vong–killing battle machine. They would have called it the Nova Colossus or the Galaxy Destructor or the Nostril of Palpatine or something equally grandiose. They would have spent billions of credits, employed thousands of contractors and subcontractors, and equipped it with the latest in death-dealing technology. And you know what would have happened? It wouldn't have worked. They'd forget to bolt down a metal plate over an access hatch leading to the main reactors, or some other mistake, and a hotshot enemy pilot would drop a bomb down there and blow the whole thing up. Now that's what the Empire would have done."
    ―Han Solo, to Vana Dorja in Destiny's Way

Felt the need to post this quote for relevancy's sake
It's FEF, not FEOF

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88264 on: September 14, 2012, 03:09:37 pm »

Well said, Han :P

Mlamlah

• Bay Watcher
  • The Androgynous Nerd
    • View Profile
« Reply #88265 on: September 14, 2012, 03:15:19 pm »

It depends on how long it takes to push these moons into planets. The Death Star might well be able to obliterate the planet before impact, meaning it'd be crashing through an asteroid field instead, and asteroid fields have killed like, 4 people in the entire series.

C3PO revised quote: "but sir! The odds of surviving an asteroid field are... well, pretty high actually, nevermind, carry on."

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #88266 on: September 14, 2012, 03:26:02 pm »

1: I'd have to check my source book, but I believe it only took a single one of the Vong's gravity manipulators (though a larger-than-normal one) to bring down a moon. The Death Star might be able to resist a few of them, but it's rate of acceleration was abysmal compared to other Star Wars craft. Put enough gravity manipulators on it and not only would it fall, but they might even be able to keep it pointed away from the planet in question.
2: I can't recall in any instance in the series of the Death Star's main weapon being used on a gas giant. Would the Death Star be able to prevent itself from being destroyed by one of those? Upscaling further, there's no chance in hell of the beam having any effect on a star.
3: Big ships have a bad time with asteroid fields. I recall a moment in Episode V where the bridge of a Star Destroyer takes a direct hit from a space rock, and the ship's captain's image disappears from the conference in the next scene. Clearly something bad happened there.
Also, The death star has a 24 hour recharge period.

On the bridge thing. Whose idea was it to put the command staff on the outside of the ship, and provide no backup system. I mean, nobody ever heard of cameras?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88267 on: September 14, 2012, 03:28:06 pm »

It depends on how long it takes to push these moons into planets. The Death Star might well be able to obliterate the planet before impact, meaning it'd be crashing through an asteroid field instead, and asteroid fields have killed like, 4 people in the entire series.

C3PO revised quote: "but sir! The odds of surviving an asteroid field are... well, pretty high actually, nevermind, carry on."
"Sir! There are a whole two asteroids within 100 kilometers of us! We're dooooomed..."

Also, The death star has a 24 hour recharge period.

On the bridge thing. Whose idea was it to put the command staff on the outside of the ship, and provide no backup system. I mean, nobody ever heard of cameras?
Because having a big glass window and NOTHING ELSE between your command bridge and hard vacuum looks awesome.

Okay, let's be honest. Even the fucking Federation of Planets wasn't that stupid.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Jervill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88268 on: September 14, 2012, 03:29:29 pm »

Hey, at least the Enterprise-D's battle bridge is located in the center of the ship.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88269 on: September 14, 2012, 03:30:06 pm »

That's a failing of lots of sci-fi, not just Star Wars though :P

Vorthon

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 50% more pointless rambling!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88270 on: September 14, 2012, 03:33:24 pm »

All I have to say is this: Soft sci-fi can go fuck itself. Except Doctor Who. Doctor who is the only soft sci-fi I can watch without wanting to find something to bash my head off of on the grounds that it would actually hurt less than watching Star Trek or anything like that.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88271 on: September 14, 2012, 03:34:49 pm »

All I have to say is this: Soft sci-fi can go fuck itself. Except Doctor Who. Doctor who is the only soft sci-fi I can watch without wanting to find something to bash my head off of on the grounds that it would actually hurt less than watching Star Trek or anything like that.
Jeez, dude. Pretty harsh statements there :o

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #88272 on: September 14, 2012, 03:36:44 pm »

Yes. Let's try to avoid having the Happiness enforcement squad show up
It's FEF, not FEOF

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #88273 on: September 14, 2012, 03:37:46 pm »

Yeah that's not conductive to the overall feel I want this thread to have at all.

Not that a lot that goes on in this thread is, but we can at least agree not to be hostile.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88274 on: September 14, 2012, 03:39:03 pm »

I do like how the Halo novelizations actively mocked it by pointing out that the humans built their ships with the bridges as little glass boxes hanging from the 'bottom' while the Covenant put theirs in heavily armored chambers at the core of their ships.  :P

Define "soft". There's a difference between authors that handwave everything because they're lazy and ones that do it because they're writing a story that happens to use SPEHSS as the backdrop to the drama (aka Space Opera).

For that matter, most of the classic Golden Age writers indulged in quite a bit of technobabble, though it usually tended to be internally consistent. See Asimov and his "positronic" brains.

In any case, it's a bit hostile to take a view that closeminded and extreme. :|

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 5883 5884 [5885] 5886 5887 ... 13325