Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5253 5254 [5255] 5256 5257 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15798583 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Got myself a craptop.
Parents gave it to me 'because it wont boot'
Started it up, heard it acces the floppy drive and then throw me 'not a valid system drive/disk'
Took out the floppy, and it happily booted windows XP
Turns out my parents somehow got it to boot from the floppy drive first and then the hard drive and fixed it.
This makes me happy because its amusing and because i can now try and have native DOS for DOS games.
(tough the only acces is LAN, floppy or cd)
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:10:09 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Someone probably fiddled with the boot settings in CMOS. It's pretty easy to do that. Mine's set to USB, HARD DRIVE, then CD/DVD. So I can boot linux off a USB if I need to.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I know its easy to do, but the laptop had just been laying around in the house, and i doubt my parents changed it to that.
I also doubt a thief sneaked in, changed the CMOS settings and then sneaked out unnoticed.
(tough there was this weird thing, somehow i could not change boot sequence, so i just disabled the floppy totally)

FAKEEDIT:
It may have been caused by my mother formatting and then installing windows XP to it, because the craptop was slow as hell.

they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

A lot of old PCs will try booting from the floppy first no matter what boot order settings you have.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Hate to argue here, but my parents said it was from 2001, so thats not really THAT old anymore.
I'll go start it up again soon and see if i can change the hard drive with the cd station in the boot sequence.
On a side note: would it be possible to have 2 diffrent OS's on that computer and being able to choose between them when you start up the computer? (given that there is enough HDD space, ofcourse)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile

Yes, it is, and by old, I mean old enough to have a floppy drive.

(We stopped using floppies here ages and ages ago because humidity)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile

Miauw, if you have the ability to partition your hard drive (Usually a good idea to have two partitions: one smallish one for the secondary OS and breathing space for it, and the primary partition being the primary OS and storage.) then that is what you should do.

We stopped using floppies quite recently. My laptop does not have a floppy drive, given it's a 2009 laptop, but our 2003 PC has.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thanks, and then our ideas of 'old' are not the same.
I'm still wondering what i'll be doing with the floppy drive and the single floppy in it with a single 69 kb word document on it.
Probably nothing at all, because the only way here to get data from and on that damn thing would be the craptop
Time to find out how i'll go about getting DOS on that computer. somehow DOS is fun to work with, but i dont have any idea why.
FAKEDIT due to reudh posting:
Also, i'm kind of a computer n00b, so i dont even know how i'd partition the hard drive.
But that atleast gives a use to the floppy, because if i'm right the primary and secondary OS cant use the same harddrive space, so else getting files from one to the other is hard or impossible. (especially because DOS)

EDIT:
HELL YEAH!
Turns out USB sticks DO fit into the craptop, but for some weird reason the usb ports are upside down xD
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 10:04:36 am by miauw62 »

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Happy birthday to me...
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

happy b-day :D
Have a dwarf:

jc6036

• Bay Watcher
  • Bilious Slick
    • View Profile

Happy birthday.

Hubris Incalculable

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, god, jc6036. That is seriously the worst present ever, but I appreciate the thought.
Code: (Bay 12 Lower Boards IRC) [Select]
server = irc.darkmyst.net
channel = #bay12lb

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
It's FEF, not FEOF

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Along with Gary Oak, apparently.
Pages: 1 ... 5253 5254 [5255] 5256 5257 ... 13325