Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4827 4828 [4829] 4830 4831 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15802805 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] [>゜))))彡]The fish has been doubled! (Happy Thread)
« Reply #72420 on: February 24, 2012, 07:05:47 pm »

Eh Pnx, humans have been mostly the same physiologically (and therefor neurologically) for a pretty damn long time; definitely longer than we've had written history or agriculture. It's not terribly surprising the same sort of critter would engage in the same sort of social practices, though it is pretty neat (and occasionally depressing :P) when you notice it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72421 on: February 24, 2012, 07:12:54 pm »

Eh Pnx, humans have been mostly the same physiologically (and therefor neurologically) for a pretty damn long time; definitely longer than we've had written history or agriculture. It's not terribly surprising the same sort of critter would engage in the same sort of social practices, though it is pretty neat (and occasionally depressing :P) when you notice it.
Heh, speaking of written history, did you know that Socrates claimed that the written word would degrade people's memory since they'd write things down and never learn to use their memory instead?

Sound familiar?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72422 on: February 24, 2012, 07:14:41 pm »

Haha, not only is it familiar it's pretty damn true, from what we know of the memories of folks back in his time. Compared to the general memory retention of folks nowadays, there's absolutely no damn comparison. They were like bronzed memory adoni.

Of course, yeah, now us memory morlocks can just read what he said millennium back, but dude had a point.
Ask not!
Ask!

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #72423 on: February 24, 2012, 07:18:04 pm »

Heh, speaking of written history, did you know that Socrates claimed that the written word would degrade people's memory since they'd write things down and never learn to use their memory instead?

Sound familiar?
I think I remember reading something like that, but I can only recall the gist of it.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72424 on: February 24, 2012, 07:21:08 pm »

Haha, not only is it familiar it's pretty damn true, from what we know of the memories of folks back in his time. Compared to the general memory retention of folks nowadays, there's absolutely no damn comparison. They were like bronzed memory adoni.

Of course, yeah, now us memory morlocks can just read what he said millennium back, but dude had a point.
I'm not so sure that the memory of the average person back then was really any better than the memory of people now.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #72425 on: February 24, 2012, 07:33:27 pm »

I'm not so sure that the memory of the average person back then was really any better than the memory of people now.
Nah, from what I've been told by folks that focus on that time period, the general recall was magnitudes greater than what most people can manage now. Can't remember if there was a (even remotely justifiable) why attached, but apparently the history we've got points to it. Now mind, that's second hand coming from me (Not my specialty, oi), but it's what I was told.
Ask not!
Ask!

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72426 on: February 24, 2012, 07:49:01 pm »

I'm not so sure that the memory of the average person back then Can't remember
evidence.

You a full of wit today Greatorder.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #72427 on: February 24, 2012, 08:09:29 pm »

You know what? I'm tired of wishing I had learnt to play an instrument. This year, I am going to learn to play piano. Seriously, I am sitting here listening to this song, and not being able to play it for myself is just not good enough.
Making a resolution can be a good feeling.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #72428 on: February 24, 2012, 08:14:25 pm »

Once you get the basic chords and minors down, you can follow along with many songs. Take it from me, I'm a terrible keyboardist who has been mistaken for an amazing jazz pianist. I'm still not sure of the difference, really.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72429 on: February 24, 2012, 08:16:52 pm »

Nah, from what I've been told by folks that focus on that time period, the general recall was magnitudes greater than what most people can manage now. Can't remember if there was a (even remotely justifiable) why attached, but apparently the history we've got points to it. Now mind, that's second hand coming from me (Not my specialty, oi), but it's what I was told.

For harder evidence, see this article. Much like writing once remapped our brains, the personal computer and the internet are substituting a lot of functions we once had to manage ourselves... and our brains are adapting to become better at finding and connecting data, but worse at remembering said data ourselves. It's happening right now, and though it's not necessarily a bad thing (we're gaining new aptitudes as befit the world in which we live) the minds of today's people are changing.

Phantom of The Library

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO: SUDDEN DISAPPEARANCES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #72430 on: February 24, 2012, 08:33:57 pm »

Today I finally clicked on Max's sig.

I do believe I have a new song to add to my favorites list.
Gnosis - Torn Ajar -- Text Suggestion Games.
This is what happens when we randomly murder people.

You get attacked by a Yandere triangle monster.

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72431 on: February 24, 2012, 08:38:01 pm »

For harder evidence, see this article. Much like writing once remapped our brains, the personal computer and the internet are substituting a lot of functions we once had to manage ourselves... and our brains are adapting to become better at finding and connecting data, but worse at remembering said data ourselves. It's happening right now, and though it's not necessarily a bad thing (we're gaining new aptitudes as befit the world in which we live) the minds of today's people are changing.

How much patience do people really have, for things that take a long time to accomplish, these days?

I have very little, and it doesn't help if people have very little patience, in the same vein.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72432 on: February 24, 2012, 08:55:59 pm »

What did MZ have for dinner? 20 hot buffalo wings, a basket of fries and two giant mountain dews.

Ahh, bliss.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #72433 on: February 24, 2012, 09:01:44 pm »

...I had pancakes. Hella jealous now <.<
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread
Pages: 1 ... 4827 4828 [4829] 4830 4831 ... 13325