Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4454 4455 [4456] 4457 4458 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15763535 times)

MC Dirty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #66825 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:08 am »

I've given Kill Bill a fair chance and was very grossed out by all the self-indulgent violence. I guess it might be a cool story and all, but I can't tell because of all the fucking blood. I really don't see the appeal at all.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [>゜))))彡] Things fish did to fish while fish in the fish fish (Happy Thread)
« Reply #66826 on: November 26, 2011, 12:07:34 am »

I just saw Kill Bill, finally.

hoooly shiiiit soooo goooood.  Even though it's live action I'm marking it down as the only good anime I've seen.  Everything past Lucy Liu's character's background is basically a live action anime and I'm okay with that.

I just wish he didn't do the feet thing.  Come on.  No feet.  Why feet, Quentin Tarantino?

You saw both parts right? I've owned them both for the longest time, and I've watched them through many times, I love them so much. The Kill Bill Mythos is something I simultaneously love completely as is, but would also love to see explored in finer detail.

Oh, did you watch the extras, where it gives a little cool story starring David Carradine (Bill) in Hong Kong?

Now, go download the original script and read it. If only to find out that the one chick with the ball and chain originally had a sister, who snorted custom super cocaine to make her battle crazy.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66827 on: November 26, 2011, 12:14:24 am »

I highly recommend Death Proof
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #66828 on: November 26, 2011, 12:16:37 am »

Tarantino's violent.  I think the gigantic gouts of blood you see later on are part of the anime aesthetic.  I thought it was kind of ironic that in the scene where she murders half of Japan, despite all the blood spraying around, there's probably less blood on the scenery than there would be if it were real.  The fight is punctuated by the occasional gratuitous spray of blood where in a real fight every one of those guys she gutted would've left at the very least a quart on the floor.  It would've been like an ice rink in there.

I haven't seen the second part yet.  As for the mythos, I subscribe to the "All Tarantino movies are set in the same universe, and the prevalence of public ultraviolence is due to a group of renegade Jews ending WW2 by murdering Hitler in public and thus altering society's view of what is and isn't an acceptable way to solve problems" theory.

I'll watch all the stuff.
Shoes...

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66829 on: November 26, 2011, 12:19:27 am »

I think I may have the only neighbours in the world that play music so loud it swamps the neighbourhood but somehow manage to only play good music.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66830 on: November 26, 2011, 12:21:06 am »

As for the mythos, I subscribe to the "All Tarantino movies are set in the same universe, and the prevalence of public ultraviolence is due to a group of renegade Jews ending WW2 by murdering Hitler in public and thus altering society's view of what is and isn't an acceptable way to solve problems" theory.

This is now my headcanon.  Yeah, I said headcanon, and it's about Tarantino, eat me.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66831 on: November 26, 2011, 12:23:09 am »

Tarantino's violent.  I think the gigantic gouts of blood you see later on are part of the anime aesthetic.  I thought it was kind of ironic that in the scene where she murders half of Japan, despite all the blood spraying around, there's probably less blood on the scenery than there would be if it were real.  The fight is punctuated by the occasional gratuitous spray of blood where in a real fight every one of those guys she gutted would've left at the very least a quart on the floor.  It would've been like an ice rink in there.

I haven't seen the second part yet.  As for the mythos, I subscribe to the "All Tarantino movies are set in the same universe, and the prevalence of public ultraviolence is due to a group of renegade Jews ending WW2 by murdering Hitler in public and thus altering society's view of what is and isn't an acceptable way to solve problems" theory.

I'll watch all the stuff.

Part 2 is significantly less bloody than part 1, but they're both awesome. Really, if you're only concerned about raw bloodiness though, the fight with the Crazy 88 is the most gratuitous the film gets.

It's true that Quentin Tarrantino is an anime otaku, and that he draws a lot of inspiration from it, but he also draws alot of inspiration from classic films, the poorly dubbed martial arts movies, b-movies, and cinematography techniques dating back to the 60's.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66832 on: November 26, 2011, 12:48:16 am »

Despite my headache, I have had a series of epiphanies tonight. I now have enough of a mental framework to begin constructing a social encounters ruleset, and will begin tomorrow when I am less tired. This will be a good beginning to the Legislacerator archetype, focusing on using social "attacks" to cause actual damage.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #66833 on: November 26, 2011, 12:50:01 am »

Burning Wheel has a nifty social combat system.  It's one of the things that really drew me to it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #66834 on: November 26, 2011, 12:58:17 am »

Despite my headache, I have had a series of epiphanies tonight. I now have enough of a mental framework to begin constructing a social encounters ruleset, and will begin tomorrow when I am less tired. This will be a good beginning to the Legislacerator archetype, focusing on using social "attacks" to cause actual damage.
So basically the same concept as dragon shouts in Skyrim, but in English! Awesome. Be sure to have at least one way of using it for completely silly stuff like Fus Ro Dah.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #66835 on: November 26, 2011, 01:00:22 am »

I really, really want to take a look at it just to steal ideas. But I don't, as yet, have the money to burn on it. I know the non-social side just leaves me with a solid sense of "meh", but so does every other system's social rules that I've seen so far. So it could go either way.

EDIT: So I should take a look at Skyrim, you say? Will do. More idea mining is never bad.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #66836 on: November 26, 2011, 01:03:12 am »

Not so much play it necessarily (though you should, it's awesome), but rather look at the lore of the dragon shouts and how they work.

tldr; version of the lore behind them: speaking and fighting are the same for dragons, and as such all of their magical abilities, like their flame breath, are really shouting matches or debates which have a form of magic tied into them by the dragon's (or in rare cases, human's) "Thu'um," essentially a soul-essence-magic-thing responsible for the power of their voice. In Skyrim, humans can master The Voice (as the use of that form of magic is called), though it requires a very long time to study and learn how to use. The Thu'um is kinda tied into willpower, as is minimizing damage if someone uses it on you, thus some are naturally better than others (and the vast, vast majority can't use it at all either through lacking the training or the natural ability). Though the main character gets the cheat way out by simply learning the word then absorbing a dragon's soul, and thus its experience of how to use the word; but that's a highly specialized case.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2011, 01:14:23 am by alway »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66837 on: November 26, 2011, 01:09:48 am »

Not so much play it necessarily (though you should, it's awesome), but rather look at the lore of the dragon shouts and how they work. tldr; version of the lore behind them: speaking and fighting are the same for dragons, and as such all of their magical abilities, like their flame breath, are really shouting matches or debates which have a form of magic tied into them by the dragon's (or in rare cases, human's) "Thu'um," essentially a soul-essence-magic-thing tied into the power of their voice.

...thoom? That's the sound a plasma cannon makes!

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66838 on: November 26, 2011, 01:47:53 am »

Hey guys, I have a question, I have a hunch that something I'm going to write will burgeon into new levels of fuckhugeness. However, I don't want to write it in notepad to prevent stupid internet browser shenanigans ruining all my work, because the last time I did that the stupid thing chopped up all my beautiful paragraphs into chunks, and then double spaced them just to spite me, so I had to copy/paste it all over, and then manually undo all the damage it did.

Is there any alternative for the writer without MS Word?

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I
Pages: 1 ... 4454 4455 [4456] 4457 4458 ... 13325