Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4353 4354 [4355] 4356 4357 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15768958 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things cirno was shot out of today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #65311 on: October 30, 2011, 11:22:29 pm »

Just asked my old high school if I could come talk to the kids for their alumni college panel.

Goddammit, they should have a female mathematician come to talk to them for once >:I  I got this, bros!
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #65312 on: October 30, 2011, 11:28:43 pm »

Got my desktop rearranged so that I keep all my icons, but they aren't in the way of the awesome picture any more :)
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65313 on: October 30, 2011, 11:31:19 pm »

I didn't quite catch it before--but Kael gave me a game!  Yay!  I have a game~

<3 !!  And it has vampires who are apparently good-kind, so I am glad.

Now, if I can just get some time this weekend to play my games ':9  Gonna make my parents some of my special coconut milk pasta sauce, too, I'm thinking.  My dad wants to try it out.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65314 on: October 30, 2011, 11:56:29 pm »

Hurry, you have only another two hours in this weekend!
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65315 on: October 31, 2011, 12:00:10 am »

Hurry, you have only another two hours in this weekend!

I meant... next weekend.  The weekend that will actually be a weekend, and not just a panicked attempt to study for exams and get all my homework done.

This weekend is just shit =(  I am not anticipating good grades on these exams, either.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65316 on: October 31, 2011, 12:07:33 am »

Hm. I'll do it for you, that should be just as effective. Anticipate good grades, I mean. Which classes?
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65317 on: October 31, 2011, 12:13:22 am »

Logic and set theory.  I could've done brilliantly in both of these courses if I hadn't messed up the beginning (and middle) of the semester (text book issues/burnout issues due to textbook issues/experimenting with something a professor told me to do, which ended up being a terrible idea and I will never do again/people who are supposed to grade things being very, very, very late with them), but I don't quite seem to have managed that.

*sigh*

Well, realistically, the logic will probably be okay.  I'm just antsy because my late homeworks haven't been graded yet, and it's driving me nuts.  The set theory might be slightly worse, but I'm guessing it will be all right as well.

Anyway, it's not a question of ability, it's a question of learning to manage my schedule after having been mentally ill/pointlessly gifted during the portions of life which one is supposed to use to get acquainted with schedule management, so now I have to experiment when we're supposed to be playing for large stakes.

FEH!

It just bothers me because it's such easy stuff, and I'm still struggling with it.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65318 on: October 31, 2011, 12:22:53 am »

Anyway, it's not a question of ability, it's a question of learning to manage my schedule after having been mentally ill/pointlessly gifted during the portions of life which one is supposed to use to get acquainted with schedule management, so now I have to experiment when we're supposed to be playing for large stakes.
Oh, man, I sympathize. At least with the pointlessly gifted bit. Not enough to to do spectacularly, but enough to get by with Bs without caring and impress instructors when I did in most cases. Started really biting me in the ass during the last year or so when holy shit, work, and it definitely hurts me when I'm supposed to be applying for things because I treat applications like homework assignments. Possibly, my opinion of myself is overly high, but eh, still. Finally getting to that point everybody talks about where schedule management is no longer optional and it's like, "Oh, holy shit, they weren't lying. Fuuuuuuu-"

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65319 on: October 31, 2011, 12:33:10 am »

Yeah, but see, I don't want B's.  I want A's.  But I have to go back and figure out what didn't work because I was crazy, and what didn't work because I scheduled poorly.  During high school, it pretty much didn't matter when I started my homework--I'd be able to finish it, get full points, and end up with an A in the course.  Now, I suddenly have to plan absolutely everything.  Studying, problem sets, all of that.  Can't put anything off at all if I want to succeed.

My professors all know that I'm usually the smartest person in their courses, or at least one of the top three.  It's just that many of them can't figure out how to help me, or don't think that they should.

*sigh*

Gotta keep going.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #65320 on: October 31, 2011, 12:47:01 am »

Coauthored (wrote the overwhelming majority of) a winning Motion for Summary Judgment on a precedent setting case in Condominium Law!

Unfortunately(?), it is thus far only at the trial level (maybe the loosing side won't appeal?), so I don't know exactly how much it is "precedent," (needs appellate level authority to bind other courts but still nice).

Yay!!!!
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
There have been other cases, but rarely ones on new laws with no case law to guide you, so it's sorta big in a way. I'm actually considering listing it on my resume and using it as a writing sample, but there are redaction issues with that (can't list client name, etc).

I don't care though; I won against a huge condo law firm that does nothing but condo law! I'm relatively new as a lawyer and this sort of thing rarely comes up, especially for someone my age. Actually, I wrote the motion while still a clerk years ago (boss signed/submitted it, common practice). The gist of it is, the condo association can't collect a dime of the thousands they said the client owes them!

Speaking of client, I think he might finally drop his crazy objections to my [pretty damn modest comparatively] billing given how hard winning this damn David v. Goliath case was :D (Researching how to include this on a resume'.... [read, read, read, O wait it's 2AM, still read, read, read]
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 12:49:14 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65321 on: October 31, 2011, 01:06:39 am »

Woo, Truean! Way to go. Catscarf lawyer is best lawyer it seems. I have no complaints about this turn of events.

@Vector
Yeah, sounds about right. I am impressed, though, you're basically doing what I never mustered the discipline to make myself do, and what I'm really trying to work on right now. And, I hope it doesn't come off as flattery to say so, but I'm pretty sure that the mental resources you are working to marshal are greater than mine ever have been.

One day, though, perhaps I will have matched you in that regard. Must level up, put points in Int... And Wis...

Anybody know where I could find some monsters to wrestle in order to become smarter?

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #65322 on: October 31, 2011, 01:14:09 am »

Woo, Truean! Way to go. Catscarf lawyer is best lawyer it seems. I have no complaints about this turn of events.

@Vector
Yeah, sounds about right. I am impressed, though, you're basically doing what I never mustered the discipline to make myself do, and what I'm really trying to work on right now. And, I hope it doesn't come off as flattery to say so, but I'm pretty sure that the mental resources you are working to marshal are greater than mine ever have been.

One day, though, perhaps I will have matched you in that regard. Must level up, put points in Int... And Wis...

Anybody know where I could find some monsters to wrestle in order to become smarter?
Well, think you can handle the geomancer?

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #65323 on: October 31, 2011, 01:29:02 am »

[Curtsy] Thank you very much! ;3

I just.... It. Too... much... opportunity... for snark. So... very... many... possible targets... to call monsters. I feel a great disturbance in the force. As if millions of snarky comments suddenly cried out in terror and were suddenly silenced.... :P

(Edit: I'd actually be rather nice about it, but wow, that's the setup to a punchline that rarely presents itself. One of the many reasons Bauglir rocks).
« Last Edit: October 31, 2011, 01:44:15 am by Truean »
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #65324 on: October 31, 2011, 01:46:22 am »

One of the many reasons Bauglir rocks
This makes me happy. Thank you!

However, allow me to show you superior rocking.
Pages: 1 ... 4353 4354 [4355] 4356 4357 ... 13325