Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4288 4289 [4290] 4291 4292 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15777148 times)

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [~~~] Things tildes made you do today thread (Happy Thread)
« Reply #64335 on: October 15, 2011, 03:25:04 pm »

Math math math~

So close to not being behind anymore, and I hit a real break where it turned out that the professor for this course hasn't even looked through the things we were supposed to turn in.  Since this is a course where, if the professor hasn't graded it, you can pretty much turn your work in, I'm feeling pretty spiffy.

And yeah, it's nice to not have the stress of it looming over me, though on the other hand I do have to think up three more interesting problems and attempt to solve them within the next two or three hours... on very, very, very boring material.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #64336 on: October 15, 2011, 03:34:29 pm »

Well, The Dark Crystal was an okay movie. Mainly I think it was that Everything was puppets.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #64337 on: October 15, 2011, 03:39:19 pm »

The Dark Crustal was visually for little kids, which was why we remembered it forever. Nobody knew it has vicious murderous goblins and trippy visuals.

Think of it as the equivalent of the Watership Down animation.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64338 on: October 15, 2011, 03:45:13 pm »

And yeah, it's nice to not have the stress of it looming over me, though on the other hand I do have to think up three more interesting problems and attempt to solve them within the next two or three hours... on very, very, very boring material.

You're posting an awful lot if that is the case.

Says the person who is at work and failing productivity lately  ;)
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64339 on: October 15, 2011, 03:51:06 pm »

Kitteh found the fireplace.
Love, scriver~

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64340 on: October 15, 2011, 03:59:11 pm »

Eh, it actually helps me think, sometimes, because I'll break the train of thought, restart it, and realize that one of my premises was fundamentally flawed or just too large to think about.  For example, right before this little posting spree I thought I knew enough about joins of filters and groups to generalize them to L-structures, but then I realized that I only know about joins of elementary filters at all, and that's from what was covered in an honors course.

So now I'm working the infimum-side of the problem, rather than the supremum-side, which is much better and clears most of the work out of the path.  I needed to restrict the scope to turn it away from dissertation-size and towards weekly problem set-size ;)

It's not so much that I MUST solve these things today, anyway, so much as that I'm kind of desperate to have them away so that I can remove the self-induced stigma of being late.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #64341 on: October 15, 2011, 04:08:17 pm »

I'm watching The Dark Crystal.  On top of being horrifying, it's clear where the Team America guys got their style ideas from.  This is hideous, and the main character puppet has one blank facial expression through the whole movie, never mind a terrible voice actor.

I'm laughing my ass off what a shit movie this is, but I have to wonder why it's famous...

You're dead to me, dude.  :-[

Besides, nobody liked the Gelflings. Everyone likes Skeksis and Fizzgig. Oh, and the spider-rabbit thingies.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #64342 on: October 15, 2011, 04:10:24 pm »

Eh, it actually helps me think, sometimes, because I'll break the train of thought, restart it, and realize that one of my premises was fundamentally flawed or just too large to think about.

I do the same thing.  When I'm stuck on something, I'll distract myself for a few minutes and come back.  Usually keeps things moving along.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #64343 on: October 15, 2011, 04:12:02 pm »

Okay, after having to jump through an honestly ridiculous number of hoops, I have this sucker working again, and have moved on from Ubuntu (to Backtrack, if anyone cares, which is a modified Ubuntu). I have no idea how to use any of the tools it has come with, but it'll be fun to learn, and it didn't require me to find a wired connection to install my wireless drivers (unlike Ubuntu the last few times I installed it on this laptop), which is a major plus since that is impossible.

I have also learned that I need to buy a new power cord as soon as I can - for about half an hour there, it was doing that stupid thing where the computer can't determine the voltage of the adapter because an entirely superfluous identifying pin broke in the cord (this occurs after frequent but otherwise normal use, apparently, unless you're very careful about how you wind the cord), and so it wouldn't charge. Fucking Dell. But it is working again, for the moment, so that is good! I must have got it realigned somehow.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64344 on: October 15, 2011, 04:15:04 pm »

I will be making something like this next time I cook spaghetti.

I was in the kitchen making myself a sandwich, when suddenly it came to me.  The thing I've always been waiting for.  More pointlessly bizarre gustatory delights!

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #64345 on: October 15, 2011, 04:18:36 pm »

Well, I woke up at like, 5pm.  My hair feels like shit, my nails have already outgrown themselves, I smell like wet cheese, I'm trying to do this Spanish assignment but I can't figure out a word and obviously the book wouldn't have it, so I go on the computer, when booting up I start adjusting the volume meter and then there was thousands of volume meters everywhere for some reason, so while in this 12 minute HOLY SHIT HE GOT UP AGAIN FAWP FAWP torture fest of today a fly lands on my knee just to rub in my face what a horrible wake up call this was.

Hell no.

I shot my hand forward like a dart and knocked him unconscious it seems since he woke up again while I was typing this.  I hit him again and now he's on one of my notepads.  You're finished fly.  I am the flyecutioner  and you are my first prey of the morning.

Oh gog he's trying to crawl, I think all his legs are broken.  Let me put it out of its pain and suffering with SPANISH

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64346 on: October 15, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »

Yeah dude, show that fly who's boss.

Besides, nobody liked the Gelflings. Everyone likes Skeksis and Fizzgig. Oh, and the spider-rabbit thingies.

The old prophet woman has visible nipples on her pendulous grandma boobs.  Somebody made that puppet.  And the Gelflings all look exactly like the Kristen Miller marionette.

Which I guess says more about Kristen Miller than it does The Dark Crystal, but you get my point.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #64347 on: October 15, 2011, 05:03:26 pm »

Yay, two down, two to go, only one more until I'm no longer behind... and this coming one should be easy.

*pant pant*

Time to take a break!

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #64348 on: October 15, 2011, 05:08:15 pm »

The old prophet woman has visible nipples on her pendulous grandma boobs.  Somebody made that puppet.
...Why wouldn't they have?
Love, scriver~

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #64349 on: October 15, 2011, 05:15:17 pm »

Woke up to Elite status on my private tracker, then I aced the PSAT~
Now I have donuts and awesome musics~
Today is best day~
Pages: 1 ... 4288 4289 [4290] 4291 4292 ... 13325