Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4100 4101 [4102] 4103 4104 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15767844 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: [???] Things yoshi... Oh god no (Happy Thread)
« Reply #61515 on: September 07, 2011, 09:16:33 am »

My job is very reactive. If there's nothing coming in, there's nothing to do. It's also mostly boring as hell even when there are things to do.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #61516 on: September 07, 2011, 09:19:17 am »

and whats the job ?
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61517 on: September 07, 2011, 09:28:48 am »

a reminder, the battle against dwarfaholic still needs reinforcements
http://akroma.minitroopers.com
whatisthisidunevren.....
Awesome my guy has a bazooka!
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Akroma

• Bay Watcher
  • Death and I, we have an understanding
    • View Profile
« Reply #61518 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:03 am »

thank you for joining MarcAFK

your efforts will greatly fuel the flames of war peace
Find comfort in that most people of intelligence jeer at the inmost mysteries, if superior minds were ever placed in fullest contact with the secrets preserved by
 ancient and lowly cults, the resultant abnormalities would soon not only wreck the world, but threathen the very ingerity of the cosmos

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61519 on: September 07, 2011, 10:23:36 am »

and whats the job ?
Technical/systems support, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. Occasionally I get to do really cool stuff (like help X-ray a homemade bomb, descramble surveillance camera footage from a pawn shop that was recorded using some obscure proprietary Hungarian codec, get the firmware upgraded on a GPS tracking bug, etc.) but those moments are few and far between. Mostly it's the usual tech support bullshit.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61520 on: September 07, 2011, 10:25:01 am »

Wait, you know how to decode my video files? Fuuuuuuuuuuuuu-
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61521 on: September 07, 2011, 10:29:09 am »

We have all the files. ALL of them. And you've been very, very naughty. Also, you might want to get that mole checked out.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #61522 on: September 07, 2011, 10:32:26 am »

We have all the files. ALL of them. And you've been very, very naughty. Also, you might want to get that mole checked out.
My pet mole is a traitor!? Who among us could have guessed that the mole in our midst would be an actual, literal mole? Seriously, I'm kind of impressed, I didn't even know it was of the superintelligent kind.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Fenrir

• Bay Watcher
  • The Monstrous Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #61523 on: September 07, 2011, 10:34:47 am »

I forgot to write it down before going to sleep it off, though, and next morning I could recall nothing except that it was pure genius.

This happens to me with irritating frequency! I forget what I was thinking, but not entirely, for I can remember that it was brilliant, genius, and going to make me rich and happy—in that order.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #61524 on: September 07, 2011, 10:58:54 am »

I'm typing this from inside the campus library!  Productivity, zero!  Kukuku

Nah I'm kidding.  I just spent like two hours studying my Spanish book for tonight.  Calculus went well today as well.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #61525 on: September 07, 2011, 12:24:11 pm »

Been reading up on high-energy physics, magnetohydrodynamics and plasma. I really with I had gone into the hard sciences at times.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #61526 on: September 07, 2011, 01:19:36 pm »

Continuing slowly through Godel Escher Bach. I'm beginning to think this book should be required for at least all programming students, if not all students in general. It not only provides very good descriptions, as would be expected of any good book, but it manages to weave the entire thing into a tapestry of language to where it becomes art itself. Whereas most texts and examples of media have about 2 layers or so of depth (X as X and X as metaphor for Y), this book goes many layers deep and uses it's own self to give examples of that which is being discussed. And of course having examples within one's self is itself a concept of the text. Though I get the sad feeling that after reading this, reading other books will feel like drinking soda after it has gone flat...

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #61527 on: September 07, 2011, 01:20:11 pm »

Grah, forums.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2011, 01:23:32 pm by alway »

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61528 on: September 07, 2011, 01:23:38 pm »

Nah, there are other good books =)

I think I read House of Leaves directly afterwards.  Now, I'll admit, that was a really hard act to follow.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61529 on: September 07, 2011, 01:25:41 pm »

I thought it was pretty straightforward, actually.

On the happy, I think I've done enough for today. I need some noms now.
Pages: 1 ... 4100 4101 [4102] 4103 4104 ... 13325