Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3826 3827 [3828] 3829 3830 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15786931 times)

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

Reading Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
What the..
I need to read this.
Yes.
Yes you do.
Hermione Granger forms an army. That is all you need to know to want to read this work. It. Is. GENIUS.

It was a brain-tree, in a brain forest.
I'm fairly certain someone said something along the lines of "I do not belive God gave us the ability to think just for us to not do so" or something like that, anyways.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

I'm fairly certain someone said something along the lines of "I do not belive God gave us the ability to think just for us to not do so" or something like that, anyways.
"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
--Galileo Galilei
Learned that from Civ V :D

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
--Galileo Galilei
Yeah, that's the one. Although I could have sworn it was Civ IV, not V... Scientific theory, IIRC.
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Spent the morning listening to Pixies albums. A friend suggested them and at first I wasn't overly impressed but they've grown on me a lot since then.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Euld

• Bay Watcher
  • There's coffee in that nebula ಠ_ರೃ
    • View Profile

--Galileo Galilei
Yeah, that's the one. Although I could have sworn it was Civ IV, not V... Scientific theory, IIRC.
Oh oops you're right, it's Civ IV.  I should have realized that right away, the quote is voiced by Leonard Nimoy in my head, as it is in the game.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile

--Galileo Galilei
I love the sentiment, but I don't think it's actually valid logic.  You could just as easily say "I don't think God would give us rocks and the ability to kill each other with them if he didn't intend us to use them in that way".

Note that I'm not saying that reason and intellect are bad nor that killing people with rocks is good nor that God must want us to kill people with rocks.  Just that the logic doesn't seem to work.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile

--Galileo Galilei
I love the sentiment, but I don't think it's actually valid logic.  You could just as easily say "I don't think God would give us rocks and the ability to kill each other with them if he didn't intend us to use them in that way".

Note that I'm not saying that reason and intellect are bad nor that killing people with rocks is good nor that God must want us to kill people with rocks.  Just that the logic doesn't seem to work.
I think the whole point is that God gave us free will, to do with what we will. He doesn't control, only judges.

Just my $0.02
*Hugs*

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile

A storm rumbled trough the city, a proper summer storm, began before you realized it and ended even more abruptly.Now there is some sunshine as  the sun sets and everything is wet and shiny.

Also homemade ice cream, lots and lots of homemade ice cream :D
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile

Finished all the main light world Super Meat Boy levels and a good deal of the dark world ones. I'm still trying to get back up to my old skill level but enjoying every minute. The music is stuck in my head.

I'm not sure killing people with rocks and reasoning are comparable actions. I see our mental faculties to be much the same as our physical ones.

"I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with legs has intended us to forgo their use."

Edit:Adding something on topic (sorry Janet).
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 01:00:42 pm by Vattic »
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA

Holy freaking rails. Better fix them before Janet or somebody like me who cares about this topic flips their shit from such a derail. May I suggest someone make a new topic for this?

Happies, hmm...
Ohyeah. Ein appearantly can't handle Cat Planet. Too much happy jammed into it. X3
I'm still mystified though, how the hell does she know of Raocow, but missed that LP, out of all of them?

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

I already told you, the man sends me into catatonia.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile

Whaaaaat? I don't believe it.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I believe the two major understandings were that it was either a quince, which does look like an apple, or a metaphor for conjugal relations.

Huh, I thought pomegranates were also on the table.  And apple = malus in Latin, i.e. "mal," i.e. evil... =/

What the..
I need to read this.

I went back and looked at some of the other stuff I'd been reading afterwards.  It simply does not compare.  This is... yeah, it's definitely my favorite Harry Potter fanfic, and full of both a. hilarity and b. science.

Basically, "What if the universe of Harry Potter were populated by scientists and mathematicians."

Go read :3

Edited to add example:

"Allow me to warn you that challenging my ingenuity is a dangerous sort of project, and may tend to make your life a lot more surreal."
« Last Edit: July 23, 2011, 12:48:13 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile

Whaaaaat? I don't believe it.
Too much happy jammed into it. X3

Happiness is like drugs.
Drugs that make you vomit rainbows.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, tomorrow is the day of my departure, will be gone for three weeks.

I'll miss that forum. Not because I post a lot here (which I do not), but because I enjoy reading many of the things written.
Maybe there'll be the means to go online, but that's no certainty.

I'll be here for some more hours.
Pages: 1 ... 3826 3827 [3828] 3829 3830 ... 13325