Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2987 2988 [2989] 2990 2991 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15766229 times)

Bill the dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that made you the strongest today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #44820 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:10 pm »

Is youtube trying to tell me something? This has stayed in the recommendations box for multiple days now, and while it was kinda funny to hear the first time, now its just kinda weird to see it still there.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44821 on: March 28, 2011, 10:03:54 pm »

On the other hand, we're all supposed to write fanfiction, which I have never felt too keenly about.

*cough*

I remember those creative writing assignments.  I always ended up writing about random side characters from whatever work we were reading--in particular, the chaplain from Cyrano de Bergerac, Boo Radley from To Kill a Mockingbird, and Macduff from Macbeth.  I ended up doing a yandere spin on the last one :D

Also, classic Russian cartoon.

EDIT: I think I just got asked on a date by a dude in one of my math classes.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 10:10:26 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44822 on: March 28, 2011, 10:10:12 pm »

Cough all you like, but two things have soured me on fanfic: A) Sturgeon's Law, and B) The fact that those that Sturgeon's Law doesn't apply to are too busy writing fanfiction to write their own characters and settings. I mean, that's the easiest part of writing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44823 on: March 28, 2011, 10:12:49 pm »

Cough all you like, but two things have soured me on fanfic: A) Sturgeon's Law, and B) The fact that those that Sturgeon's Law doesn't apply to are too busy writing fanfiction to write their own characters and settings. I mean, that's the easiest part of writing.

Honestly, I do write a little elsewhere, if only because I want to practice some particular idea without having to deal with screwing up my own characters.  The problem with writing your own is that you invest a whole lot in them, you know?  And when you've got a few really good ideas but know you don't have the technical chops to pull off something of that magnitude, but you can pull off fanfiction well enough that you can get practice on the things you're working on... well, that's why I write it from time to time, anyway.

When I publish my books, I'll let everyone know :D
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44824 on: March 28, 2011, 10:14:04 pm »

A) Sturgeon's Law
God yes.

B) The fact that those that Sturgeon's Law doesn't apply to are too busy writing fanfiction to write their own characters and settings. I mean, that's the easiest part of writing.
Not necessarily. I'm not particularly a fan of them, but novelizations are just fanfiction that's approved. I've heard some are pretty well written. The uh, Thrawn Trilogy is the first thing that comes to mind.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44825 on: March 28, 2011, 10:16:27 pm »

...too busy writing fanfiction to write their own characters and settings. I mean, that's the easiest part of writing.

Speak for yourself.  The beauty of fanfiction is that you don't have to establish the characters or setting, which can be one of the longest parts of a novel and the easiest to dry out.  There's a reason so many original stories are about ordinary people in nonspecific pastiches of the modern world, it's easy to describe in a way your reader can invest in.  With fanfiction, all the establishment is taken care of for you, and you can just jump right into the plot.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44826 on: March 28, 2011, 10:17:20 pm »

Honestly, I do write a little elsewhere, if only because I want to practice some particular idea without having to deal with screwing up my own characters.  The problem with writing your own is that you invest a whole lot in them, you know?  And when you've got a few really good ideas but know you don't have the technical chops to pull off something of that magnitude, but you can pull off fanfiction well enough that you can get practice on the things you're working on... well, that's why I write it from time to time, anyway.

When I publish my books, I'll let everyone know :D

Hm, we seem to have opposite problems. I see characters as throwaway devices to move plot. Plot and emotional hooks/cues (for the reader) are what I heavily invest in, sometimes to the expense of everything else. Then again, I come from a very heavily RPG influenced background. Making characters is the most fun part of playing the games, to me.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #44827 on: March 28, 2011, 10:23:54 pm »

Speak for yourself.  The beauty of fanfiction is that you don't have to establish the characters or setting, which can be one of the longest parts of a novel and the easiest to dry out.  There's a reason so many original stories are about ordinary people in nonspecific pastiches of the modern world, it's easy to describe in a way your reader can invest in.  With fanfiction, all the establishment is taken care of for you, and you can just jump right into the plot.
Indeed.

Fanfiction works really well as a short story. Especially since you rarely have the space to set up elaborate characters or settings in that format, but also because short stories are small ideas, and sometimes you just want to write the plot for the fun of it.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #44828 on: March 28, 2011, 10:37:24 pm »

Which is why I'll always enjoy drawing characters I know a lot more than trying to think of some random idea, unless of course the idea is a really good one.

The Merchant Of Menace

• Bay Watcher
  • Work work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44829 on: March 28, 2011, 10:40:46 pm »

Getting my motivation to work on my game back
*Hugs*

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44830 on: March 28, 2011, 10:47:39 pm »

I had a fun idea for a webcomic. I'll readily admit it feels like some alternate reality Rice Boy but I'm making sure my art is crisp and trying my best to feel it out rather than plan it out. I've gpt a few well defined moments but my route between them is something I leave up to fate. I'm going to try to work up a large stock and a buffer before/if I host it, provided I convince myself to permit self esteem.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44831 on: March 28, 2011, 11:07:53 pm »

Neat song in Russian <3

Okay, it's not great, but it's reasonable.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44832 on: March 28, 2011, 11:39:38 pm »

Yay, cafeeinated tea.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44833 on: March 28, 2011, 11:42:32 pm »

D-date?

I... I do have a date, suddenly... or, at least, a one-on-one food-eating event with someone.  I don't especially like this guy, but I'd like some company and somewhere new to eat dinner.

Whah?

Bettered work hard on not dressing like an idiot, this Wednesday...

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44834 on: March 28, 2011, 11:45:48 pm »

Have fun then  :)
Just make sure you don't keep the poor sod on the hook, if you don't like him that much.
Pages: 1 ... 2987 2988 [2989] 2990 2991 ... 13325