Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 [2923] 2924 2925 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15771028 times)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
Re: [⑨] Things that made you the strongest today. (Happy Thread)
« Reply #43830 on: March 22, 2011, 11:04:17 pm »

D&D is fun. Especially when you decide to modify a random unrelated creature to fit a role that, thematically, would be far better served by an existing creature, because you know that once you're done the mechanics will be so much better and you can always just use the exact same description and roleplaying as you would for the existing one. A bit of tinkering and suddenly, a nymph is an angel! Also, not the slutty kind. Not that that's much of a stretch, but it's the one I just did, so it's the obvious example.

That's one of the big draws to 4e.  Mechanics and fluff are completely divorced.  It's trivial to take a monster, swap some keywords around, modify some moves and stats, and have a completely unique monster that no one will recognize as being derived from something else.

Shoes...

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43831 on: March 22, 2011, 11:06:39 pm »

Much like race, religion, or sexual orientation, as a writer you should never let gender define a character. It's an aspect of a character, but not the reason about which all their behaviors and plots orbit. I remember writing a research paper on homosexuality in sitcoms, and how often it becomes the defining aspect of the character; the majority of their quirks, actions, and gags are tied to the fact that they are gay. Flat characters and all that. Whenever I write, unless it's fundamental to the character's story, I try to pick Gender and such after I have a good idea of who the character is.

Speaking of writing, I've been throwing together a Mouse Guard mini-campaign for my gaming group to play over the next few weeks. They'll be dealing with reapplying the scent-border that keeps predators out of mouse lands, during the Spring thaw. I'm still working out a few plot twists, but I have a lovely bit of investigation-style intrigue planned. I'm really looking forward to it!

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #43832 on: March 22, 2011, 11:13:37 pm »

Much like race, religion, or sexual orientation, as a writer you should never let gender define a character. It's an aspect of a character, but not the reason about which all their behaviors and plots orbit. I remember writing a research paper on homosexuality in sitcoms, and how often it becomes the defining aspect of the character; the majority of their quirks, actions, and gags are tied to the fact that they are gay. Flat characters and all that. Whenever I write, unless it's fundamental to the character's story, I try to pick Gender and such after I have a good idea of who the character is.
I absolutely agree with the first part. Tying personality with other features like sex or religion is just a cliched and predictable way to write at best and terribly offensive at worst.

I think it's okay to come up with that stuff first though as long as you don't shackle yourself to it. Personally I like to have a general image and background for the character then let their personality evolve through the needs of the narrative.
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #43833 on: March 22, 2011, 11:19:27 pm »

-snip-
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 10:47:44 pm by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43834 on: March 22, 2011, 11:20:58 pm »

I want to talk more about fiction, but I just finished my first full cup of coffee and am currently unimaginably high off of it.

This is fucking ridiculous~ <3 <3 <3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #43835 on: March 22, 2011, 11:21:36 pm »

I want to talk more about fiction, but I just finished my first full cup of coffee and am currently unimaginably high off of it.

dude give me some of that!

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43836 on: March 22, 2011, 11:22:52 pm »

What, can't you get your own damned cup of coffee?  It's just normal coffee, and I have no caffeine tolerance.

<3
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #43837 on: March 22, 2011, 11:23:15 pm »

I think a character dealing with those aspects of themselves is just fine. There is a lot of conflict involved with those traits, and it would be a shame to avoid them. Yes they should not be defining traits of the character, but just because their main conflict involves one of those traits doesn't mean they are defined by it.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43838 on: March 22, 2011, 11:24:35 pm »

What, can't you get your own damned cup of coffee?  It's just normal coffee, and I have no caffeine tolerance.

<3
Aww i thought it was something special XD

So yes today i bought me Mountains of Madness, Call of Cthulhu and a Alex Rider book.

fqllve

• Bay Watcher
  • (grammar) anarcho-communist
    • View Profile
    • ufowitch
« Reply #43839 on: March 22, 2011, 11:25:22 pm »

To the New Topic button?
You don't use freedom Penguin. First you demand it, then you have it.
No using. That's not what freedom is for.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43840 on: March 22, 2011, 11:26:57 pm »

Don't worry Telle, I can tell you how to get powerful coffee. Now, go and order what's called "Cuban Coffee". It is very important that you drink this by the quart when you obtain it, otherwise it won't be hilarious work properly.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43841 on: March 22, 2011, 11:27:35 pm »

What?  No, that's something that made me happy today.

I don't think I need a new topic for "I just had coffee for the first time" or "Things that made you caffeinated today"

The thing I find interesting about this sexuality discussion is that nowadays, we define our sex and gender (many of us do, anyway) as the deepest, most important part of ourself, so that in many ways it makes sense to write a character around that.

Why we do that?  Go read A History of Sexuality, by Foucault.  It's extremely enlightening.

Mindmaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43842 on: March 22, 2011, 11:28:36 pm »

Oh boy.
In that case you should probably pass on enegry drinks.
Or make an experiment out of it  :D

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43843 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:31 pm »

I think a character dealing with those aspects of themselves is just fine. There is a lot of conflict involved with those traits, and it would be a shame to avoid them. Yes they should not be defining traits of the character, but just because their main conflict involves one of those traits doesn't mean they are defined by it.

I'm right there with you, Duke. There are certainly stories about gender, or other similar aspects of their personhood, that ought to be told and explored. Still, there's a line between that and a flat character who is JUST that aspect, where everything they do is ultimately defined or tied to that one thing.

PS. Vector, I think fqllve meant to start a new topic about fiction and plots and such... not coffee. :P
« Last Edit: March 22, 2011, 11:31:40 pm by Solifuge »

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43844 on: March 22, 2011, 11:29:51 pm »

thank god i looked on google first than running straight to my co-op >_>
Pages: 1 ... 2921 2922 [2923] 2924 2925 ... 13325