Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11827 11828 [11829] 11830 11831 ... 13325

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15781106 times)

Dozebôm Lolumzalės

• Bay Watcher
  • what even is truth
    • View Profile
    • test
Re: [*PEW*] All the bacon in the world can't save you now! (Happy thread)
« Reply #177420 on: October 31, 2016, 09:01:25 pm »

Sorry if I came across wrong. I just meant that "this wasn't the place for this."
Quote from: King James Programming
...Simplification leaves us with the black extra-cosmic gulfs it throws open before our frenzied eyes...
Quote from: Salvané Descocrates
The only difference between me and a fool is that I know that I know only that I think, therefore I am.
Sigtext!

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177421 on: October 31, 2016, 09:08:09 pm »

Today, I was assigned the homework of taking a Star Trek episode where a spaceship accelerates to .5c over half a solar system, then applying calculus and physics to it.

Turns out to do something like that, you'd need to accelerate at something like 8*1013 Newtons, 149,000m/s2, or 15,000 Gs continuously for a little less than a third of an hour.

If it isn't clear, that would plaster the very flat remains of the crew across every surface, accelerate every loose object into a bulkhead-shattering impactor, and push the antimatter fuel out of alignment with its containment fields, causing a reaction.

Today was a good day.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #177422 on: October 31, 2016, 09:14:19 pm »

Today, I was assigned the homework of taking a Star Trek episode where a spaceship accelerates to .5c over half a solar system, then applying calculus and physics to it.

Turns out to do something like that, you'd need to accelerate at something like 8*1013 Newtons, 149,000m/s2, or 15,000 Gs continuously for a little less than a third of an hour.

If it isn't clear, that would plaster the very flat remains of the crew across every surface, accelerate every loose object into a bulkhead-shattering impactor, and push the antimatter fuel out of alignment with its containment fields, causing a reaction.

Today was a good day.
Which is exactly why you have warp drives and inertial dampeners in Star Trek; specifically so that everybody doesn't die. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #177423 on: October 31, 2016, 09:14:27 pm »

Well, mainly because this isn't the thread for this. There is a dedicated science thread and the Small Random Questions Thread, either of which would probably have been better fits.

I specifically asked if there was a dedicated science thread in the very beginning...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112684.0

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177424 on: October 31, 2016, 09:28:36 pm »

Well, mainly because this isn't the thread for this. There is a dedicated science thread and the Small Random Questions Thread, either of which would probably have been better fits.

I specifically asked if there was a dedicated science thread in the very beginning...
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=112684.0

Don't worry, I'm not trying to fill the happy thread with calculus, this just made me happy in general.

inertial dampeners

See, the issue is messing directly with the forces of inertia is even scarier. Sure, they let your spaceship crews survive suicide burns, but they also let you do really silly stuff with kinetic energy and gravity, yadda yadda, casual galaxy-killer ultraweapons.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #177425 on: October 31, 2016, 09:30:49 pm »

Example needed.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177426 on: October 31, 2016, 10:26:58 pm »

Some further research would suggest that while "Inertial dampers" do actually both exist and work, about the best you can reasonably get is a big spring. They delay the forces and spread them out, but these are not forces for which that would work, at least outside of ultraspecialized megastructure shenanigans, which aren't going on. The term we're looking for is "Inertial negation", which directly counters or removes the effect of inertia, and effectively allows indefinite acceleration. Because accelerating ever-closer to the speed of light has no real limit, and doing so just keeps adding more and more kinetic energy, in fact doing so exponentially to my knowledge, you can basically make an indefinitely scarier impactor if you keep adding energy to the system. What this means is that if somebody decides to accelerate a ship with one of these for a few centuries, they can hit a sun hard enough to blow it into energy.

For that matter, assuming you can use the thing to alter gravity at high energies, you can just... Turn off the singularity at the core of a galaxy. What this would likely do is throw very fast chunks of singularity everywhere very suddenly, which would be bad.

Galaxy-destroying was rather hyperbole, but such things are not very safe.
Muh FG--OOC Thread

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177427 on: October 31, 2016, 10:30:25 pm »

Some further research would suggest that while "Inertial dampers" do actually both exist and work, about the best you can reasonably get is a big spring. They delay the forces and spread them out, but these are not forces for which that would work, at least outside of ultraspecialized megastructure shenanigans, which aren't going on. The term we're looking for is "Inertial negation", which directly counters or removes the effect of inertia, and effectively allows indefinite acceleration. Because accelerating ever-closer to the speed of light has no real limit, and doing so just keeps adding more and more kinetic energy, in fact doing so exponentially to my knowledge, you can basically make an indefinitely scarier impactor if you keep adding energy to the system. What this means is that if somebody decides to accelerate a ship with one of these for a few centuries, they can hit a sun hard enough to blow it into energy.

For that matter, assuming you can use the thing to alter gravity at high energies, you can just... Turn off the singularity at the core of a galaxy. What this would likely do is throw very fast chunks of singularity everywhere very suddenly, which would be bad.

Galaxy-destroying was rather hyperbole, but such things are not very safe.

Not relevant, inertial dampers are deliberate handwavium intended to make the superluminal travel in Star Trek viable, trying to apply real-world physics to something deliberately designed to not function that way is kinda ridiculous.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #177428 on: November 01, 2016, 12:14:58 am »

Not relevant, inertial dampers are deliberate handwavium intended to make the superluminal travel in Star Trek viable, trying to apply real-world physics to something deliberately designed to not function that way is kinda ridiculous.

If nothing else, I find it legitimately entertaining to pick apart the poor science of soft science fiction. Doing so has become a hobby for some groups of people, really. The same applies to people who know how the medieval era actually worked and fantasy settings. Sure, it isn't supposed to make sense, but that's no reason not to make fun of it for not doing so. And I do mean "Make fun of" in the literal sense. Think of it as the critical-reasoning equivalent of going jogging.

For that matter, assuming you can use the thing to alter gravity at high energies, you can just... Turn off the singularity at the core of a galaxy.
That is the oddest sentence I've been creeped out by yet, I think.

It isn't really in any normal context, and it doesn't say very nice things, does it?

Sorry, I hope that's not the bad sort of creeped out. :V
Muh FG--OOC Thread

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #177429 on: November 01, 2016, 01:29:47 am »

Despite some hiccups, yearly Halloween L4D2 night went well! My friends and I all had a ton of fun and killed a lot of zombies. It's just a shame we couldn't play longer, but most of us had forgotten to install L4D2 in advance so we had to wait while everybody did that.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • The questioner does not.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177430 on: November 01, 2016, 04:30:41 am »

Surprisingly related to the above post, this video kept me quite entertained for an hour.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #177431 on: November 01, 2016, 05:55:57 am »

The cake(day) is mine. All mine.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #177432 on: November 01, 2016, 06:29:15 am »

Surprisingly related to the above post, this video kept me quite entertained for an hour.
Why are so many people linking ShackTac here?
Watches entire video.
Sees about joining Shacktac

Despite some hiccups, yearly Halloween L4D2 night went well! My friends and I all had a ton of fun and killed a lot of zombies. It's just a shame we couldn't play longer, but most of us had forgotten to install L4D2 in advance so we had to wait while everybody did that.
Why did I not think to do that, it sounds like amazing fun.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #177433 on: November 01, 2016, 06:30:37 am »

Because accelerating ever-closer to the speed of light has no real limit
There actually is a limit, when your energy become so high that, metaphorically speaking, vacuum starts to have friction. Though it is pretty high, 1 kg of iron, having 1.1*10^23 number of atoms, could have maximum kinetic energy of 8 joules * 1.1*10^23 = 8.8*10^23 joules. Which actually isn't nearly enough to even mass-scatter Earth (which requires energy of 2.487*10^32 joules, or about 1 billion times higher).

You'd need about 1 million tons of iron to do that. And to mass-scatter Sun, you'd need a billion times that.

I'll leave it for you to calculate how many tons of iron one would need for a galaxy-killing impact, and how many iron asteroids you'd have to harvest in order to produce it.

This belongs here because making !!FUN!! calculations makes me happy :D
._.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #177434 on: November 01, 2016, 07:09:45 am »

inertial dampeners

See, the issue is messing directly with the forces of inertia is even scarier. Sure, they let your spaceship crews survive suicide burns, but they also let you do really silly stuff with kinetic energy and gravity, yadda yadda, casual galaxy-killer ultraweapons.
This is actually basically the plot of Absolution Gap :v (which takes place in a universe where FTL doesnt exist, but sub-light travel between stars is common)

I'd recommend it, it's pretty great. (but read Revelation Space first)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 11827 11828 [11829] 11830 11831 ... 13325