Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10565 10566 [10567] 10568 10569 ... 13327

Author Topic: [MILK] There were 12 eggs here what did you do with them? (Happy thread?!)  (Read 15902839 times)

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
Re: [Poi] The deadly game of poi (Happy thread? Poi! B.. Baka!)
« Reply #158490 on: June 06, 2015, 06:18:10 am »

Wait, people actually listen to what you have to say if you're nice to them? Since when has that been the case?

:P
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #158491 on: June 06, 2015, 06:21:39 am »

I once met some friendly Mormons on the street, made some conversation about the practical uses of religion and what kind of person really needs religion in their lives. Got a free Book of Mormon out of it, too. It even has some neato pictures in it! My brother had a similar experience with a Krishna, but his book is way shorter.

Wait, people actually listen to what you have to say if you're nice to them? Since when has that been the case?

:P

Quick, call the Westboro Baptist Church! They must hear of this immediately!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158492 on: June 06, 2015, 06:23:37 am »

Well, we Hare Krishnas do have a LOT of different books, some shorter than others.

I guess if you're giving them away for free, though, you may as well pick a shorter one.

But our main book, The Bhagavad Gita, is a hefty tome that you can probably kill somebody with.

Magistrum

• Bay Watcher
  • Skilled Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #158493 on: June 06, 2015, 08:38:05 am »

Of the two monthly magazines from the Jehova's Witnesses only the Watchtower is about religion, having some JW relatives, I get to read each month's edition's, and the Awake! is mostly a normal periodical... I remember the aqueducts from one of the past year's Awake!(And I feel weird typing that exclamation mark, it apparently is part of the title.)
In a time before time, I had a name.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #158494 on: June 06, 2015, 08:39:50 am »

Re: Jehovas

You know that trick where they make a pretty girl ring the bell and ambush you when you open the door, just like in Welcome to NHK?

That's happened to me so many times that they must have marked me as a Satou-like hikikomori. :D

...they are a pretty obnoxious cult, to be honest, and I pity the people who are caught up in there against their will. If you have the misfortune to be born into a zealous Jehova family, your life is basically as fucked as mine or Satou Tatsuhiro's.   

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #158495 on: June 06, 2015, 08:50:59 am »

Meh. Only ever had them come round once (we live in the country.)

They gave a leaflet on not making your children replicas of yourself, and allowing them to become Jehova Witnesses.

And that was that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158496 on: June 06, 2015, 09:06:23 am »

This was a few years ago but I had some Jenova's Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door and one recognized me.  I was doing in house tech support back then and I had apparently fixed her computer.  We chatted a bit, she said her computer was still working great after I fixed the internet.  She gave me a pamphlet which I honestly didn't read.  And I wished her luck and offered them some bottled water.

Vast majority of them genuinely seem to be nice people at the very least.  Better than the salesmen who come to the door trying to sell me a vacuum or the guys trying to offload frozen hamburger patties lying about how they need just one more sale for their quota.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #158497 on: June 06, 2015, 11:19:56 am »

If I ever move back to the US and get jehova's witnesses at my door, I think I'll ask them if they've surrendered to the mercy of Lord Krishna, and offer them some books.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #158498 on: June 06, 2015, 11:20:59 am »

"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #158499 on: June 06, 2015, 12:28:13 pm »

Was raised as Jehovah's Witness until around 9 years old, and my mom kept ties with them for several more years after that.  They are actually nice people.  Very genuine about their beliefs.  Don't pick and choose which parts of the scripture they're going to conveniently follow.  Which means they take that stuff about loving thy neighbor and turning the other cheek seriously.  Yeah, that door-to-door stuff is kind of annoying... but they do it because they actually believe they're on a mission to save people and really care about it.  Their cultural focus is overwhelmingly on that aspect of things, instead of focusing on how everyone else is evil and totally deserves to burn in hell.  Not that this stuff is completely universal, because they're still individual human beings... but the organization actively works to maintain this culture.

It actually irks me a bit when I hear about people treating them badly, because they don't generally deserve it.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158500 on: June 06, 2015, 12:52:45 pm »

Rusty's Real Deal Baseball for the 3DS is some serious good shit.

It follows a microtransaction model. Downloading it to your SD card for free, you get a single demo with about 8 levels, which is only the first of many 'games within the game' that are available. However, while starting rather blatantly overpriced, the game encourages you (or holds you to) haggle the price down to the more reasonable 1.50-2.00$ range.

It's hard to explain, the baseball minigames are marvelous fun, combined with the charming aesthetic, combined with Rusty himself who plays the role of lovable loser very straight with his own storyline, it's not painful at all to drop the 2~ bucks to get first game.

The baseball game is actually so well-made, I had no problem getting the others too, which are all unique and well-made as well. There is wonder in how simple and minimalist these games are, in that each one focuses around a simple task that only takes a few sentences to teach you, and then goes "Ok, now we're ramping it up, do this simple things REALLY WELL now!" and it surprises me with it's challenge, and amazes me with how creative that challenge is pulled off with just simple changes.

My favorite so far is in Cage Match, where it has an extra hard challenge where you face off against three pitching machines to score 150 points. It's bog standard pitching up until you hit point 50, then a fourth human pitcher shows up outta nowhere. It's really surprising, cause it's obvious what he's gonna do, but by this time you've gotten used to the rhythm of heaing the 'Ktchhhhunk' of the mechanical pitching machines, that his silent pitches catch you completely off-guard. It's the ultimate 'keep your eye on the ball, not the sound' challenge. Oh yeah, and the mechanical pitchers throw standard-speed fast balls 95% of the time, but then sometimes throw you literal curveballs, sliders, sinkers, fork balls, and 'lightning balls' which zigzag rapidly across the screen. Gotta pay attention no matter what!

The only minigame I'm afraid of is the "Brutal Pitch Read - Score a Walk!" Challenge, which is simple: all you have to do is score a Walk (four balls outside your strike zone, would normally send you to 1st base), and the only thing you have to do to do that is read pitches. Just correctly assess if he's throwing in or out of your strike zone, and don't let him strike you out! Hit it if he's trying to strike you out, let it pass if it's a ball. It's so simple it's maddening, but the game is SUPER SNEAKY and it's very hard, especially when you get nervous and you just get jumpy! I adore it and hate it at the same time.

I just wanted to gush about this little game. Off to bed now.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #158501 on: June 06, 2015, 01:29:18 pm »

I shouldn't have done it, but I started up Deus Ex HR again and polished off the DLC level. Turns out you do get all your shit back at the end if you missed it, and I was able to vent my frustrations by killing every single character I met (except the ones the game wouldn't let me kill). Something seems strange about getting the Merciful Soul bonus for knocking somebody out instead of killing them, if you then go on to shoot them in the head (for whatever reason, killing people with swordhands is louder than punching them and then shooting them with a silenced assault rifle).

It was kind of nice to get some recognition for my work from the helpful NPCs, even if it was more of a "Jesus Christ, what is wrong with you?" sort of recognition.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158502 on: June 06, 2015, 01:44:57 pm »

Taught my little nephew (about six months old) to play the piano. It's a truly magical thing to watch: He doesn't laugh, he doesn't want your attention, he is fully focused on this strange thing in front of him and on his image mirrored by him. He doesn't have full motor control yet either, so even bashing some keys with his hands is an intellectual feat for him.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #158503 on: June 06, 2015, 01:51:40 pm »

*One month later*

H..h..he's composing his own songs... better than Mozart... playing Bach while lying on his back....!!!

What have I created!!
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #158504 on: June 06, 2015, 02:16:20 pm »

MOZART BABY
Pages: 1 ... 10565 10566 [10567] 10568 10569 ... 13327