Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378158 times)

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2009, 07:50:45 am »

I'm actually a 6'3" bio-mechanical fishmonger with a taste for VENGEANCE.

Against fish.

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
  • Oblivisci tempta quod didicisti
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2009, 10:03:40 am »

As promised. First picture is ballpoint drawing straight from scanner, second is the result of me experimenting with photoshop.

Spoiler: Big images (click to show/hide)

If anyone has tips/critique, please post :)
Quote from: Robert Donoghue and Fred Hicks
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*
Third, stop listening when you should be fighting.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
  • A vile force of darkness has arrived!
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2009, 12:18:49 pm »

Haha maybe we could use this as a reference for a fight scene or something:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sonearage

• Bay Watcher
  • ...mwaw...
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2009, 12:32:22 pm »

Pro Markers are really good if you don't wanna computerise it.

"They kept on telling him that he was 'Unfashionable, Dahling! that *Pig Tail Tunic* is sooo last Granite.' and then, when they finished their depraved acts of "beauty" on him, they all said 'FAHBULOS, DAHLING!'"

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2009, 12:40:52 pm »

Pro Markers are really good if you don't wanna computerise it.

Perhaps, but at €3 each, this poor student will stick to virtual colors for a while ;)
There are three things you must learn if you wish to defeat me, my young pupil. First, you must look within yourself and find your core of strength. Second, your mind and body must be in perfect unison. Third...
*WHACK*

Sonearage

• Bay Watcher
  • ...mwaw...
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2009, 12:44:24 pm »

too true

"They kept on telling him that he was 'Unfashionable, Dahling! that *Pig Tail Tunic* is sooo last Granite.' and then, when they finished their depraved acts of "beauty" on him, they all said 'FAHBULOS, DAHLING!'"

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2009, 01:08:59 pm »

As promised. First picture is ballpoint drawing straight from scanner, second is the result of me experimenting with photoshop.

Spoiler: Big images (click to show/hide)

You could try going in and coloring everything much more opaquely. Fill it in and cover up the line work, and use changes in value/hue to indicate edges instead.
That would also let you add some deep color to the sky.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2009, 01:25:14 pm »

Okay, a bit late but...

Vester.

*sigh* Eyes and jawline are very wrong. Hair is also wrong, but I really did used to have red streaks in it until recently.

Keep working on it!
Don't be afraid to erase and paint over. When I have problems placing eyes, or jaw lines and things like that, I'll use liquefy to push everything into place and then repaint it to get it right.

Davion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2009, 02:03:13 pm »

Big images...

Your perspective is off in some places, especially around where the building meets the edge of the road around the door:

On that note I think my edited perspective might be off in some places now too!  :-X Shhhh.

Also, use references. The roofs on buildings usually have an overhang, windows have ledges and aren't flush with the rest of the building and generally you're going to want to give that timber-frame architecture a bit of depth and take the wooden beams into consideration when doing perspective as well, though in a lot of photos I've seen of it it's pretty flush.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 02:10:15 pm by Davion »

EagleV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2009, 05:03:49 pm »

Your perspective is off in some places, especially around where the building meets the edge of the road around the door:
I'll draw my perspective lines in pencil first, next time. Is this kind of perspective the most natural one can draw?

Also, use references.
I'll do some research, however this was made during an especially boring maths exercise.

You could try going in and coloring everything much more opaquely. Fill it in and cover up the line work, and use changes in value/hue to indicate edges instead.
With covering line work, do you mean so you don't see any lines anymore, or so you see them lightly trough the coloring? I'll give the color change for edges and lines a shot, tomorrow.

My sincerest thanks to both of you ;).
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 02:14:49 am by EagleV »
*WHACK*

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #190 on: October 02, 2009, 05:37:34 pm »

EagleV:

The most natural system might be different for each scene. Normally you would use both 1 and 2 point perspective depending on the rotation of objects in a scene. For extreme views (particularly looking upwards or downwards) 3 point perspective is often used.

AFAIK in reality, our eye is a curved surface and we take in light in a spherical way. There are such things as spherical perspective in which you can define objects in a very naturalistic manner. But, I think it is complicated enough to deal with that it isn't used very often.

What I mean by covering your lines is to literally start painting it in, using the lines as references at first, but ultimately abandoning them. In the fully rendered scene, a lot of the lines will likely become irrelevant because there would be no visual separation of the forms. Think of the line work as imaginary indications of the edges of objects - the lines don't necessarily exist visually in reality.

Spreggo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • skullsprout games
« Reply #191 on: October 02, 2009, 05:43:36 pm »

Just wanted to show some of the sketches I've been doing. I'm trying to get an understanding of human proportion.
Not very good yet, but its coming along better than it was...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2009, 06:46:43 pm by Spreggo »

bjlong

• Bay Watcher
  • [INVISIBLE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 02, 2009, 06:40:55 pm »

Not to say I know a lot about this, but let the shoulders fall a bit lower. If you're doing cartooning, I'd say to make the head bigger than it should be by a small bit, so you can get more stuff across. But that's just me.
I hesitate to click the last spoiler tag because I expect there to be Elder Gods in it or something.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 02, 2009, 10:27:34 pm »

Okay, self-sketch time:
Also, I got Photoshop 7.0 recently, and even though I don't have an artist tablet yet I decided to play around with it on that Ninja sketch I had up earlier.  But for some reason I can't upload it to Tinypic.

Edit:  Oh, and that's supposed to be a bag in the dude's hand.  The scan went through funny.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 03, 2009, 01:33:34 am »

Well, I started work on a self portrait....its got a ways to go still.
Spoiler: 1000x1000pxls! (click to show/hide)
I must say, this would be the first likeness of me to be seen in years...

How odd.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 05:41:09 am by Hungry »
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 296