Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 296

Author Topic: +The Engravers Guild+  (Read 378865 times)

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: +The Engravers Guild+
« Reply #1980 on: July 14, 2010, 12:38:41 pm »

Snip so you don't have to look at those pagestretching pieces of crap

No critiquery? :C

i don't like that the eagle is done using only solid colors, but I didn't really have time to shad it or any of that stuff.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1981 on: July 14, 2010, 01:00:37 pm »

And I'm not sure Corel Painter has the features you're describing (like "hard light mode"), I've recently started using it and was at a loss when I couldn't find a Shadows mode for the Burn tool. :P

What version of painter are you using? in version X, in the layer window youll see that there's the hard light as well as multiply blending modes, that be in the first drop down button. and for the airbrush i usually use the finedetail airbrush 8 for the hard edges.

burningpet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1982 on: July 14, 2010, 01:03:05 pm »

Snip so you don't have to look at those pagestretching pieces of crap

No critiquery? :C

i don't like that the eagle is done using only solid colors, but I didn't really have time to shad it or any of that stuff.

the eagle has its form blocked pretty good, the sky are nicely done, albit too saturated for my taste.

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1983 on: July 14, 2010, 01:37:49 pm »

Yeah, I realized that. The sky is on a different layer, I might go back and fix it. It's really bright, but at the same time, it's fits with the no-shading/no-realism style.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #1984 on: July 14, 2010, 01:44:11 pm »

Alright, I tried your approach, burningpet. The result is... not pretty.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

However good it might be for one familiar with it, I cannot use the "applied lighting". A separate layer for shadows is okay, since that's mostly how they're applied either way. But while highlights on low-specularity surfaces can be reasonably abstracted away, I cannot make that semi-random metallic shine that you can see on my original version.

Spoiler: For comparison (click to show/hide)

It's also way too much effort for little gain. I basically had to use a humongous color pencil to put the base color in, there doesn't seem to be an easy way to do it in Painter, except the Bucket of course, which requires some voodoo to work right since there's no nifty "use all layers" option like in PS. And yes, I found the layer modes. It just doesn't work for me. I'll stick with the airbrushes, they feel more natural.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1985 on: July 14, 2010, 01:58:32 pm »

The new version looks better to me - it's much more clean and thus better to improve upon. It's just to early to make the metal shiny right now, I'd do it later via painting and erasing on the light-layer frantically. Not enough light - paint; too much light - erase. Judge by feeling.
Taste my Paci-Fist

Red Fortune

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALWAYS_CONFUSED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1986 on: July 14, 2010, 04:14:12 pm »

Don't be afraid of blocking in roughly! Try setting your line layer to multiply, above all other layers, and use a massive (as in diameter of about 1/10 of the canvas or more) hard brush to block in - exaggeration is very good at this stage. Don't worry about losing the white or anything, because you paint everything as you want later. Try to think about the picture as a total, and the figure as a whole.
 Then you can have fun with your airbrush; I have never been able to airbrush anything effectively other than clouds, because I rely on hard brushes for form and texture which is much harder to achieve with an airbrush.
"These humans only worship one god. Can you believe it?"
"Man, if I had to decide between the god of magma and the god of rubies, I just don't think I could handle it."

daemoria

• Bay Watcher
  • [VERTEX_SMITH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1987 on: July 15, 2010, 12:06:08 am »

did a doodle.
*runs away screaming*
3 <≡Vertex≡>
This is a exceptionally prepared stack of 3 vertex. It forms the shape of a triangle.

strongrudder

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #1988 on: July 15, 2010, 12:46:18 am »

@ daemoria: That is a pretty sweet doodle. I like the way you handle colors, and I wish I had your feel for environments.

@Sean Mirrsen: The problem with airbrushing on top of a pencil layer is the fact that (due to the variable opacity of airbrushes) you can see through to the paper in places, and yet the "paint" obscures the original pencil lines in others. The overall effect is pretty messy-looking. Take Red Fortune's advice and change the pencil layer mode to "multiply," then paint roughly underneath on a new layer. I like this method because it doesn't destroy my pencils while I paint, and it doesn't leave little white borders around them either. And if you decide to take out the pencil lines completely and finish rendering the painting, the blocking has already been done.

I can understand why you're balking at things you can't do well yet (adding lighting, etc) - nobody likes to work hard on a piece of art, only to hate it at the end. But experimenting and failing is part of the learning process. This is one of my favorite quotes about drawing: "A great artist is merely a crappy artist who never gave up." So don't give up, however you decide to approach your work. (:
The flying ☼Earworm☼ strikes strongrudder in the brain!
The ☼Earworm☼ has lodged firmly in the wound!
strongrudder gives in to music.

joss

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1989 on: July 15, 2010, 05:55:23 am »

Blew the dust off my tablet and studied some anatomy. I do realise there should be "skin" ontop of the muscles, and many of the forms I've painted don't show up even on the most badass of bodybuilders, but I did it to practice anatomy and get the underlying forms a bit more cleared up. I also painted the guy blue so you can think of him as an android or something.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1990 on: July 15, 2010, 06:22:13 am »

Blew the dust off my tablet and studied some anatomy. I do realise there should be "skin" ontop of the muscles, and many of the forms I've painted don't show up even on the most badass of bodybuilders, but I did it to practice anatomy and get the underlying forms a bit more cleared up. I also painted the guy blue so you can think of him as an android or something.

Very, very well done. :)

And that guy's face looks familiar...

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1991 on: July 15, 2010, 12:37:53 pm »

I have been inspired by the general excellence displayed recently within this thread and I set out to try and do something in colour.

Ended up a lot more simplistic than I imagined, but here it is nevertheless:

It's the fallout from a letterbomb ...

Antsan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1992 on: July 15, 2010, 12:57:58 pm »

I like it very much. The colors and overall style just fits to the topic.

Only the smoke in the background somehow seems off - I guess it's because it gets less diffused at the top, it seems to concentrate on the left side, while the general direction of it is to the right.
Taste my Paci-Fist

mendonca

• Bay Watcher
  • [CLIVE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1993 on: July 15, 2010, 01:23:02 pm »

Thanks Antsan - About the smoke, yeah, good point.

I have had a little play with it but I'm not sure what the answer is just yet - time to hunt a reference or two down ...

Vertigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1994 on: July 15, 2010, 01:43:45 pm »

did a doodle.
*runs away screaming*

Is that just a thick pencil setting? Because I wanted a brush that emulates iScribble, and that never even crossed my mind, but yours look like you drew it in iScribble, which I think is fucking awesome.

I'm just babbling with amazement :P
Pages: 1 ... 131 132 [133] 134 135 ... 296