Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Problem with dwarves practising arms  (Read 846 times)

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Problem with dwarves practising arms
« on: September 15, 2009, 01:41:29 pm »

Hello. I have an annoying problem with three marksdwarves who don't practise at all. They are off duty, they have crossbows, i have set the weapon, i have LOADS of bolts (copper), i have targets, i have set the room, it's big enough (3 square rule looked from wiki), nothing is in the way, i have set the shooting direction... the list goes on. Anyone have anything i might have missed? I thought that having them accidentally like 3 years on duty might have affected it, but if i change their weapons they happily spar in the barracks.

Props for the toady one for making such an entertaining game by teh way.
(also random goodies for captain duck, used much of his video tutorial on the way up here)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: Problem with dwarves practising arms
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2009, 01:43:22 pm »

Iirc you have to designate each target separately? Try that.

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2009, 01:58:06 pm »

Well, i did that from the start, and also i thought (from wiki 'an such) that assigning only one only makes that only one dwarf would practise. Mine just sleep and drink, like good soldiers do. (although really they also are in women and I don't think they're good if they do all that, but, meh.)

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2009, 02:42:55 pm »

Dwarves will only practice with wooden or bone bolts. Metal bolts will only be used against enemies.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Archery_target :
Shooting requires a crossbow and wooden or bone bolts. (Metal bolts are considered too valuable for practice and will not be used.)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 02:44:49 pm by Niveras »

DCd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2009, 02:46:48 pm »

Aaahhh!!!! Thank you a lot, i don't remember to have seen that in the wiki pages though, adding it would be considerate. Or maybe i was just careless...

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2009, 03:40:35 pm »

Dwarves will only practice with wooden or bone bolts. Metal bolts will only be used against enemies.

http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Archery_target :
Shooting requires a crossbow and wooden or bone bolts. (Metal bolts are considered too valuable for practice and will not be used.)

They will use bone or wooden bolts on enemies if those are the only ones available.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2009, 05:13:41 pm »

They will use bone or wooden bolts on enemies if those are the only ones available.

Though that is neither implied or denied by what I said.