Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: is mainstream PC gaming dead?  (Read 2631 times)

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
is mainstream PC gaming dead?
« on: September 11, 2009, 03:36:37 pm »

this may be a dangerous topic to broach

is suspect it is. I recently got a newish pc of my bro (hes moved to Korea and couldnt take it with him). and i thought what new pc games could i buy? I havnt bought many since 2007 so i made a list of newish games...

i got
Fallout 3
sins of a solar empire

i considered
empire total war - read reviews on this that slated it
left 4 dead - probs will get this sooner or later

maybe im just very fussy about the standards of game im willing to pay for but for two years of industry output this list seems very short.

im not suggesting the death is a new thing, i gave up with fps (a genre i have long loved) a couple of years ago, fear, doom 3, halo3 and a number of others convinced me that fps developers had emptied the invation barrel and were now just rerunning old ideas in new graphics.

Sins of a solar emprire has convinced me rts is pretty dead. I expected it to be a complex 4x in real time, and initially i wsa impressed but after about 4 games it started to feel very much like very other rts ever written.

may be im just nostalgic but i seem to remember going in to EB (now game) back in 2002 and its surrounding years and having hard decisions to make on which games to buy, now im struggling to find anything worth spending cash on.

p.s. i general epext 1 hour of play per £ spent so ten hours out of sins just about cuts the mustard (on this scale i owe toady over £100)

sorry about the lenght of post/rant

how do others view mainstream game development of late. Can anyone suggest anygames worth buying?
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: is mainstream PC gaming dead?
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2009, 03:40:51 pm »

There are plenty of games, as always.

There are also plenty of bad games... also as always

Probably you are being more critical of what you buy. And it's reasonable considering the prices, and the crisis.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Hawkfrost

• Bay Watcher
  • It's way too late to stop.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2009, 03:56:52 pm »

I think it's more a case of nostalgia; there were just as many crap games back in the day, but now they are forgotten.
You just have to pick through the crap and find the gems hidden inside.

I do agree with you that the FPS and RTS genres have gone stale, but that's because the designers are trying to make quick money by upping the graphics for the graphic-whores instead of creating deep gameplay or innovation.

There is still great games out there, it's just that they don't usually get much attention.
(Example: Okami. Completely amazing game, horrible amount of sales. Why? Because gamers took one look and said "Eww, jap game. I'll just go buy Halo 3 instead.")

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2009, 03:57:44 pm »

I'll try to post stuff that's similar to the games you already listed.

If you like Real-Time Strategy, I suggest getting Starcraft 2, once it comes out. If you're into first-person shooters, Call of Duty 4 is a must-have. It is, in many people's opinion, even better than Halo 3.

Personally, I am a big fan of games that focus on Player Verses Player combat. Team Fortress 2 is an excellent team-based first-person shooter, and includes many unique, humorous characters.

If you like fantasy-based PvP, I highly recommend buying Guild Wars. After buying the game itself, Guild Wars is free to play indefinitely, although you *can* purchase any or all of the expansion packs at any time. Although characters gain experience and grow levels, the level cap is relatively low, and as a result, the game is not a Runescape-type ordeal where you have to play 10 hours a day just to get anywhere, but players actually have to use strategy to win.

If you like futuristic RPGs, you might want to look into Anarchy Online. The game does have an option to pay for extra features, but the basic version is free indefinitely and is a sizable game by itself. I warn you, though, the setup file is a 1.5GB download, and the game itself takes up much more space than that when installed.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2009, 03:59:46 pm »

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2009, 04:36:21 pm »

Strategy will never make it onto consoles. I thought that FPS wouldn't either back in the PS2 days, because there's no fun in aiming a gun with your thumbs, but it works great. Anything that requires less than 5 buttons and a d-pad is better off on the console. Anything that requires only a mouse would work too.

I can't really think of a game to look forward to. Games have become just a tad too shallow.. or my expectations have gone too high since playing DF.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Killas[SiN]

• Bay Watcher
  • [SiN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2009, 05:53:57 pm »

I suppose that a lot of the potentially awesome games have been locked to console only...

Like how Fable 2 is X-Box exclusive...

And... Heavy Rain is PS3 only.

Seriously, you should watch the Youtube videos of it.

It WILL make you weep; so darn incredible!

Also, one FPS that is actually good is Call of Juarez.
It is I-N-C-R-E-D-I-B-L-E. Good gameplay and graphics. Just a pity no co-op though.

Get TES IV:O if you don't already have it, for it is much more open ended that Fallout.

Also, Sims III is a M-U-S-T buy; it is actually fun!
You should make Korean pros into game-ending, SPEED:0 megabeasts.
A Jaedong appears at your fort.
DF: gg
DF has left the game.

Uber dwarf2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • Please stop reading this, I will be banned if yo-
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 11, 2009, 06:00:32 pm »

this may be a dangerous topic to broach

is suspect it is. I recently got a newish pc of my bro (hes moved to Korea and couldnt take it with him). and i thought what new pc games could i buy? I havnt bought many since 2007 so i made a list of newish games...

i got
Fallout 3
sins of a solar empire

i considered
empire total war - read reviews on this that slated it
left 4 dead - probs will get this sooner or later

maybe im just very fussy about the standards of game im willing to pay for but for two years of industry output this list seems very short.

im not suggesting the death is a new thing, i gave up with fps (a genre i have long loved) a couple of years ago, fear, doom 3, halo3 and a number of others convinced me that fps developers had emptied the invation barrel and were now just rerunning old ideas in new graphics.

Sins of a solar emprire has convinced me rts is pretty dead. I expected it to be a complex 4x in real time, and initially i wsa impressed but after about 4 games it started to feel very much like very other rts ever written.

may be im just nostalgic but i seem to remember going in to EB (now game) back in 2002 and its surrounding years and having hard decisions to make on which games to buy, now im struggling to find anything worth spending cash on.

p.s. i general epext 1 hour of play per £ spent so ten hours out of sins just about cuts the mustard (on this scale i owe toady over £100)

sorry about the lenght of post/rant

how do others view mainstream game development of late. Can anyone suggest anygames worth buying?

You normaly play the "good" games back in the day so now every thing seems bland or just plain out bad.I'd go for empire total war , sure its bugged but its a great game. New games are losing its style, they all want to be special were as back in the day they just wnated to be fun.

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2009, 06:13:57 pm »

Well you could try this little game called Dwarf Fortress, I hear its good.  ;D
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2009, 06:17:25 pm »

DF isn't mainstream, I'd regard it more as an extremely awesome but undervisited ditch.  In a nice way, of course.

Zombie0hour

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 11, 2009, 07:08:07 pm »

Yea and it will never get mainstream because of the graphics. But I think its really stupid how a game now days is good just becasue of the graphics. I happen to like the more old school iso fallout 1&2 graphics over anything else.
"I do not know with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 11, 2009, 07:11:15 pm »

Well, that's the thing... they're GOOD because of the graphics nowadays. But never great.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2009, 07:27:34 pm »

Graphics alone dont a good game make. Pretty pictures are nice, but I actually like content (and in games with computer controlled opponents, a decent AI). .

The problem is that it is easier to build a marketing campaign around pretty graphics (or even a pretty intro, if you are particularily nasty), and the rest of things are extra, in that regard. But it's that "extra" what makes a game worth returning to, forgetteable, or even of the install-uninstall group
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

userpay

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2009, 07:54:31 pm »

As far as I'm conserned as long at consoles don't literaly become computers themselves (like as in ability to mod though if they developed to the point that they were computers moot point). Look at oblivion (groan I know) just look at all the player mod content is avalible that the 360 version doesn't have.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2009, 08:12:25 pm »

Eh, I hope one day mods could be made on the PC and downloaded for Console games...  >.>
Or made on console and distributed easily...

So we are of differing opinions...
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation
Pages: [1] 2 3