Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: The meaning of suicide...  (Read 11617 times)

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
Re: The meaning of suicide...
« Reply #135 on: September 16, 2009, 09:15:05 pm »

I think it's actually rather complex. No pain, no gain is, to me, a rather archaic phrase. The assumption that surviving pain makes you stronger strikes me as a pretty odd way of thinking. Things like disability, scarring and (in the case of, for example, depression) emotional scarring are not good things that all result from pain, both emotional and physical. Just because you've survived some sort of pain doesn't really mean you've gained, in any way. If anything, you've probably gotten worse, in the sense that you're now probably quite emotionally (and physically) scarred from said pain.
disability is certainly a trade off rather then pure experience(and thus not a positive effect)

However a scar on the otherhand(metaphoricaly speaking) while being also a trade off yeilds more useful results, like when you trade a knowledge of cleaning for a knowledge of biochemistry.

So unless you greatly value innocence, I would say the scarring is more useful.

Does this strike anyone else as a pointless discussion in which neither side will ever convince the other?
Yeah, but its good practice.

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: September 16, 2009, 11:22:33 pm »

Depression is a common mental disorder that presents with depressed mood, loss of interest or pleasure, feelings of guilt or low self-worth, disturbed sleep or appetite, low energy, and poor concentration. These problems can become chronic or recurrent and lead to substantial impairments in an individual's ability to take care of his or her everyday responsibilities. At its worst, depression can lead to suicide, a tragic fatality associated with the loss of about 850 000 thousand lives every year.

..I'm sure by this definition depression is more than common, it's universal. Something about you needing to feel that way for a set amount of time is in order for that definition to be accurate, methinks. Either that, or I'm in denial about being depressed. (Is that possible?)
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: September 16, 2009, 11:30:04 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:41:16 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: September 16, 2009, 11:32:30 pm »

Either that, or I'm in denial about being depressed. (Is that possible?)
I dont really see how thats possible...

But an interesting thought.

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: September 16, 2009, 11:42:23 pm »

« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 07:41:12 pm by Vector »
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

deadlycairn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: September 16, 2009, 11:49:08 pm »

... Now I'm in denial about being in denial.  :P

Oh well - I still maintain that by that definition, nearly everyone is depressed several times a year.

And I challenge you for your title of Prince of Denial! The glorious winner shall deny that he won, and indeed, that there was ever such a contest at all!
Quote from: Ampersand
Also, Xom finds people that chug unidentified fluids pleasing.
Quote from: Servant Corps
Ignorance of magic does not give scientists the power to resist fireballs.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: September 17, 2009, 01:14:46 am »

Hey hey, I'm backing out! That'll surprise no-one.

Let me explain. As I constantly get drawn into discussion (can't keep my gob shut) there's this law, a name for which I will make up on the spot.

...Jackrabbit's law of logical withdrawal. That'll work.

See, as I continue a discussion or argument, the chance that I'll suddenly realize what I'm saying will convince no-one and there are better things I could be doing right now approaches 1. When I hit 1 I immediately stop. Would that this occur before I started in the first place.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: September 17, 2009, 05:26:09 pm »

^ Lies.  If the person is really depressed, the thing will catch up again and smack them in the face.  ... That's my experience, anyway, as someone who is depressed but occasionally likes to go "Hey, there's nothing wrong!  I'm really happy all the time and I don't need to do anything about this large array of stuffs."

So there you go.
But what if hes really depressed and it doesnt catch up with him?

Hey hey, I'm backing out! That'll surprise no-one.

Let me explain. As I constantly get drawn into discussion (can't keep my gob shut) there's this law, a name for which I will make up on the spot.

...Jackrabbit's law of logical withdrawal. That'll work.

See, as I continue a discussion or argument, the chance that I'll suddenly realize what I'm saying will convince no-one and there are better things I could be doing right now approaches 1. When I hit 1 I immediately stop. Would that this occur before I started in the first place.
Sorry, but by doing that you forfeit your argument. I like to call this Cowofdooms78963's law of you cant have your cake and eat it too. Of course Im sure you have much better things to do with your time then worry about who won some silly fourm argument.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: September 17, 2009, 05:28:35 pm »

"Yes, the other person is too disgusted and tired to keep arguing with my logical falicies!  That means i won!"
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: September 17, 2009, 05:40:33 pm »

"Yes, the other person is too disgusted and tired to keep arguing with my logical falicies!  That means i won!"

Hey, that's my job.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: September 17, 2009, 05:49:23 pm »

Thats pretty much it, had made any logical falicies in the first place.
And of course all I ever presented was sound arguments.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: September 17, 2009, 05:57:51 pm »

And of course all I ever presented was sound arguments.

"Of course I'm always right, because I always say I am!"

However a scar on the otherhand(metaphoricaly speaking) while being also a trade off yeilds more useful results, like when you trade a knowledge of cleaning for a knowledge of biochemistry.

Was that one of your sound arguments? What the crap is that line even supposed to mean?
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: September 17, 2009, 05:59:35 pm »

And of course all I ever presented was sound misinformation.

I'm hesitant to say that you're trolling this topic CoD, and I'm hesitant just because I believe you are sincerely naive on the subject matter. Ask questions if you don't know, but please don't assert yourself to be knowledgeable in something you aren't. No hard feelings.

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: September 17, 2009, 06:13:55 pm »

Was that one of your sound arguments? What the crap is that line even supposed to mean?
It means that whatever you trade the scar for is less valuable to you.

I'm hesitant to say that you're trolling this topic CoD, and I'm hesitant just because I believe you are sincerely naive on the subject matter. Ask questions if you don't know, but please don't assert yourself to be knowledgeable in something you aren't. No hard feelings.
So far you havent really put anything on the table, what exactly makes your knowledge of the subject matter superior to mine? What exactly is wrong with mine?

Earlier you said "I don't think you understand..." or something similar, but why is that? I cant really say anything else to you unless you provide actual argument.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 17, 2009, 06:24:57 pm »

As usual, I'm jumping into the middle of an argument when I should probably keep my mouth shut. But on the subject of emotional scars making you a better person:

Off the top of my head, let's say you're happily engaged to someone you love. They cheat on you and run off a week before the wedding. You lose: a fiance. You gain: an unshakable fear of ever trusting someone so deeply again. How is that a positive tradeoff?

Not all experience is good experience.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11