Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What happens to your followers when you retire an adventurer?  (Read 4313 times)

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
What happens to your followers when you retire an adventurer?
« on: September 04, 2009, 07:09:22 am »

Do they return to their hometowns, or stay with your retiree?
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
  • Former controller of Zombie Fenrir
    • View Profile
Re: What happens to your followers when you retire an adventurer?
« Reply #1 on: September 04, 2009, 08:14:09 am »

Steps to find out:

1 get followers
2 remember at least one of their names
3 retire
4 check legends for said follower
5 worship dwarven god of "do it yourself"
Breccia isnt in DF, like garden slugs.
Cheese for the Cheese boat!

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2009, 08:45:58 am »

There is no such god.

Also, I just did, but with a much easier solution - drafted a retired adventurer, attacked an orc fortress, left the retiree there. When I retired my current adventurer, I resumed with the other one - she started in the orc fort.

Thanks for being "helpful".

EDIT: By which I mean, if you're just going to try to be snarky, don't bother replying.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 08:54:12 am by Vester »
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 08:57:04 am »

Sorry?

Also it must be the redneck god of "do it yourself" under the sphere of duck tape....

Also, you should lock or delete this before it turns worse...

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 09:00:29 am »

Or you could answer my question instead. Do you know if a retired adventurer will return to the place it was originally settled in? DF time certainly seems to pass in adventure mode, so would a follower of an adventurer retired in an elf retreat return to the human town it was orignally settled in? That'd be a good test of time passing in adventure mode.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 09:03:41 am »

FINE, I'll stop being lazy and do a long term research project on retired follower post retire activities.

Vester, I hope your happy.

Teach

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:26:03 am »

I too have wanted to know the specifics of what happens to your party when you retire. Only thing I have to contribute is that my party of elves decided to stay and massacre every man, woman, and child some human town after I got shot. I went back and had titles from all the killing.

Hungry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 01:06:56 pm »

From short term results, retiree followers apearently dont become part of the resident civ, and remain a separate part from civ holding their original civs, and allegences to other civs, retired followers are not part of site civ, and act like their original civ much the way retired adventurer kills an enemy civ adventurer you are playing...
Retired followers act like they would if they were in the wild.
Retired followers attacks their own civs enemies, firendly to own civs allies, do not obey site's civ allegences.
I dont think they ever settle, even if you die, I dont even think they can return to being non followers anymore...

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 02:51:28 pm »

They do actually re-settle it can just take quite a few years, I know this because I saved a hell of alot of children from the goblins, after a few years as another adventurer, I found a new town that the children I had saved built, they just don't go home because they consider being a follower as another part of a allegiance group, thus they only want to settle with the same people.
Nom nom nom

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 03:31:23 pm »

So every time you retire with followers, you're essentially making a new country?
Nothing important here, move along.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 03:45:42 pm »

No, people go home.

By the way, you know you can change your campanion's names, right? Or at least their profession or something. It'd be way easier to find TESTSUBJECT01 in legends than anything else.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Vester

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 05:04:52 pm »

They do actually re-settle it can just take quite a few years, I know this because I saved a hell of alot of children from the goblins, after a few years as another adventurer, I found a new town that the children I had saved built, they just don't go home because they consider being a follower as another part of a allegiance group, thus they only want to settle with the same people.

That's interesting. I need to try that out for myself.

Well, the followers of retirees do muck around, that's for sure. On occasion I lose one or another when retiring an adventurer, sometimes even in the town from which I recruited them.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 05:15:15 pm »

The easiest way to check is to retire an adventurer, and recruit him with a new adventurer.

Then go die or something and look at the adventurer menu to see where guy1 settled.

Rashilul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 08:33:03 pm »

• Get a bunch of followers
  • Retire
  • Run a tiny fortress with one super dwarf and no FPS limit
  • For ten years
  • Check legends
  • ???
  • Results

skepticcs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 02, 2009, 10:15:21 am »

Here's a spin on this question I just thought up:

If you retire your adventurer in the capital (or any other town) of the civ you choose when building a future fortress, would you see this individual on the important characters list of your home civ in fortress mode? Could this person migrate to a future fortress? Could they become part of the king's entourage if he chooses to move the mountainhome to your fortress? Or will your adventurer always be a free agent, simply holding membership in that civ?

I'm going to test this out, but it could take a very long time to confirm this, so I ask here to see if any of you all have experience with this.
Pages: [1] 2