Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8

Author Topic: Clashespaints: The Quest for a Pick (community)  (Read 15858 times)

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clashespaints: The Quest for a Pick (community)
« on: September 03, 2009, 08:02:36 pm »

Alright, dwarves. All of the Mountainhome’s ore veins have run dry. The king needs metal, and he needs it now. There’s no time for mining expeditions. We need to get metal from those that have it in abundance, the Orcs. They’ve got enough steel to last the King forever, and what we need to do is trick them into supplying it. We need to set up an outpost close to their forts and lure them into attacking us. Once they’re defeated, we melt their weapons and armor and ship it back to the king. The bad news is that the best location for luring Orcs isn’t the best for Dwarven living.

That aquifier means we won’t have any stone for a while. All available picks and axes have already been melted down so we’ll have to make our own when we get there. The only ore available was silver, and it took an edict from the king himself to get it. In the meantime, we’ll have to make do with what we can bring with us.

This may well be a hopeless mission, but by Armok, the king needs us and we’ll get the Mountainhome a supply of steel or die trying. Now who’s with me?

You guys know the drill, name and skills. I’ve reserved enough points for each dwarf to be proficient in two skills or you can spread it out among multiple skills. Where I hope to make this a little different than other community forts is that if you have a dwarf in the fortress, you have full control over what that dwarf does. If you want to allow me to assign your dwarves jobs, that’s fine. But if you think that you know what the fort needs better than I do, say so, and I’ll assign your dwarf to whatever task you want. Or you can have your dwarf be selfish and make himself a private royal bedroom, dining room and office while everyone else struggles with defence and food production. Or you can just have him cut raw green glass for his entire life. However, for the starting 6, at least for the first few seasons, PLEASE let me handle your dwarves so I can set up defences.

No one (except nobles) gets private rooms unless they make the rooms themselves. Except for the mayor (seeing as I can’t really control who gets elected), nobles are off limits for being claimed by forum members. You can claim soldiers/fortress guards/royal guards if you want, but I think it would be more interesting for you guys to claim worker dwarves and give them tasks and such. I’ll be keeping a list in the 2nd post of each dwarf and what he’s doing. I won't be keeping an immigrant waiting list. Instead, once immigrants arrive, they'll be in the 2nd post as well. The first person to request a specific dwarf gets him.

If you want a masterpiece bed you’ll have just keep making beds yourself until you get one, or you can try to trade with another claimed dwarf: “If you make me a masterpiece bed, I’ll give you my next metal bar (see below)”

Finally, one of the fort rules is that I will trade 80% of the metal I acquire to the dwarven merchants in the form of whatever goods they happen to request. For the remaining metal, the will be an additional waiting list. When your name comes up, you get one bar. You can use it however you see fit. Decorating your bed with spikes of steel while I struggle to save a supply to make armor for my soldiers is encouraged. When (if) I have access to metal other than steel, there will be separate waiting lists for each type. You can only be on one waiting list at a time. Other than steel, the waiting lists will be for ores rather than bars, so if you want bronze you have to put yourself on the waiting list for copper, set the bar aside, then put yourself on the waiting list for tin to make your bronze. On the upside, you’ll then have both of the bronze bars to use as you like.

This is my first community fort, so suggestions on writing style or whatever are encouraged.

The other fort rules:
-Orc mod, obviously
-I don’t think there’s magma in this location, but if there is I won’t use it
-I will make sure that the Orcs are always able to find a path into the fort. Otherwise I won’t be able to get their gear
-Previously mentioned metal usage rules
-Non-metal goods may not be traded with dwarves. The fact that I can request metal stuff from them will be conveniently ignored.
-Human merchants will be drowned so I can melt their metal gear and provoke human sieges, getting me yet more metal
-Elves will be ignored for a long time, I can’t give them metal and stone will be in short supply. When (if) I get through that aquifier and I’m able to make stone trading goods, I MIGHT trade with them if they bring anything that interests me. However, with all the wood I’ll be needing for fuel, I anticipate eventual war with the elves.
-Booze cooking is forbidden. Syrup/flour/whatever else cooking is permitted but will be avoided as much as possible. You guys can request that your dwarf make a specific meal, if you want.
-I will not intentionally kill/cripple any dwarf, including the hammerer
-No plump helmets will ever be allowed in my fort. Just because.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2009, 10:14:16 pm by mjo625 »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Orc Mod, now with aquifiers and ridiculous restrictions! (Community)
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2009, 08:02:53 pm »

I'll be updating everyone's skill levels as they gain experience (Social skills are going to be left off, along with anything that's dabbling)

Claimed Dwarves:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Unclaimed Dwarves:

First person to ask for a specific unclaimed dwarf gets him. Feel free to completely throw my plans out the window. But remember, once reaching L12 in a weapon skill, they can't be undrafted.

« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:27:56 pm by mjo625 »

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2009, 08:03:37 pm »

Metal Waiting Lists:

Steel

I'll add other metals as I get them
« Last Edit: September 30, 2009, 02:28:28 pm by mjo625 »

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 10:07:36 am »

If you can't trade for a metal pick... how will you get one?
You have no way to make one...
I figure, you could attempt to get the metal from an orc/goblin/human... but with the resources from embark that will be difficult. Admittedly I am kinda dumb, so maybe I am missing something here, but this endeavor seems very very very hopeless... As such it shall probably be fun, while it lasts!
I'll take a dwarf.
Name: Goron/Gorina (male/female)
Skills: Ambusher & Marksdwarf

You can control me to start, but I have a strong irking to do the following:
Make a crossbow and some bolts from the starting wood.
Kill animals.
Make crossbows and bolts out of their bones, armor out of their skin.
Continue hunting to repeat process...

Then, when first enemies show, we may hopefully be ready with crossbows and ammo... maybe even a small rampart from the starting wood. From there hopefully access to their metal goods which can promptly be turned into a pick to get us a safer underground space in the sand. Additional metal can go to an axe to get more wood... from there, easy street.

I figure I can be the hunter that helps us get things going:-) And then later on the marksdwarf that keeps us alive while getting our first metal stuffs.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2009, 10:17:32 am »

Sounds good!

name: Twiggie/Twiggy if M/F
professions: Weaponsmith 5 farmer 4 miner 1
ill do furnace operating/wood burning too.

ill make starting picks/axes - you can do that out of silver, i take it.
then ill do some mining. i cant remember if mining is moodable - if it is, dont let my mining go too high.
and then ill farm until we get metalworking set up/more ore/steel

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2009, 10:22:58 am »

oh crap... I somehow totally missed the fact that silver is in the starting package... hmm, I guess my overly elaborate method to get the first pick/axe is rather unnecessary.

oh well, I'll still start ambusher/marksdwarf...
But I will gladly learn new skills through experience as needed:-)

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2009, 11:14:56 am »

oh and also, can you build stuff with bituminous coal/lignite? because then you could drop a lot of the bauxite, and build any workshops that dont need fire-safe with bituminous coal - and thatd save a lot of charcoal later on...

but if you dont wanna do that im fine. dont let me impose :)

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2009, 12:46:22 pm »

Thanks for your interest guys. Don't forget about the metal waiting list. I've added you both. Goron, I've tentatively put you down for a steel crossbow, but if you want that changed let me know. Twiggie, I have no idea what you would want.

I can't bring bitumous coal or lignite with me. I don't know if that's all starts or just this particular civ. I could bring charcoal, but at 10 points each instead of bauxite's 3. And I could make buildings out of charcoal, but not mechanisms, which is what most of the bauxite will be reserved for. After I get defences set up, the aquifier penetration project begins, for which I'll need a lot of mechanisms.

I was initially going to bring copper instead of silver, but amusingly enough, this civ had no copper ore available to bring with me. It had hematite, but silver is cheaper.

I'll have the first update tomorrow afternoon (EST). If I don't get 4 more players by the time I start playing, I'll create the dwarves myself and let anyone who wants them claim them.

And don't count on it being too easy. While I think I can deal with the orcs well enough once I have enough dwarfpower, what I forgot to add to the rules is that "I will not intentionally kill/cripple any dwarf, including the hammerer." With a severe lack of materials to meet any noble demands. Yeah.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2009, 12:56:24 pm by mjo625 »

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2009, 01:22:14 pm »

I don’t think there’s magma in this location, but if there is I won’t use it

So, uh, why are you bringing bauxite?

Also:

Dwarf name: Christes
Skills: Carpenter 3, Woodcutter 3, Building Designer 3, Miner 1.
Priorities: I'll be in charge of cutting down trees, making the parts for the screw pumps, and designing these pumps.  I'll mine on the side when not involved with that.  Of course, set up a defense at first and all that.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2009, 01:34:43 pm »

I needed cheap stone, it didn't really matter what kind. Bauxite was on the first page, and I like its colour.

Goron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 04, 2009, 02:36:20 pm »

Goron, I've tentatively put you down for a steel crossbow, but if you want that changed let me know.
I like that.
I have a feeling good weapons will be important to us. Especially since our goal is to acquire metal, and killing enemies will be one of the best ways to get the metal.

But, I'll remind you, I have no problem working other skills. In fact, it is probably better that I do NOT become too proficient a military marksdwarf early on. That way I can help with other things... like building said mechanisms you speak of:-)

Christes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 04, 2009, 03:20:58 pm »

Screw pumps don't need mechanisms.

Power generation does, but not many with some intelligent design choices.  Really, having one dwarf be a mason/mechanic might not be a bad idea, but it's not terribly necessary.

Also, put Christes on the list for a steel axe.

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 04, 2009, 03:50:57 pm »

Well, I plan to have seperate entrances for merchants and orcs. The merchant entrance will have a standard airlock defence, meaning 6 mechanisms. Setting up a method to drown human merchants will need at least 6 as well. 10 will be set aside for the mood/demand reserve. Some for furnaces and forges, and I'll have less than 25 remaining for the aquifier and other stuff. I probably won't need that many, but I'd rather have too much than not enough.

But, I'll remind you, I have no problem working other skills. In fact, it is probably better that I do NOT become too proficient a military marksdwarf early on. That way I can help with other things... like building said mechanisms you speak of:-)

I've never really done much hunting in DF, so what happens if a dwarf passes that "can't undraft" point while he's a hunter instead of a soldier? In any case, the first update will be at most a fortress year, you probably won't reach that point before then. Afterwards if you want to radically alter your dwarf's tasks, that's fine. In fact that's encouraged for all dwarves. I think it would be more entertaining for everyone if, after reaching legendary in whatever skill, the dwarf's controller decides he never wants to use that skill again and would rather make soap for the rest of his days.

Twiggie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2009, 03:53:30 pm »

i want to make a steel door

and put it on the front of my bedroom. which i will dig out and smooth. at some point...

Ross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 04, 2009, 04:29:39 pm »

This looks interesting... Sign me up.
Kilif/Sabrina (male/female)
3 Miner/3 Mason/2 Swordsdwarf/1 Craftsdwarf/1 Gem Setter

Have him help out with mining and masonry, but when he gets time where you don't need him, he obsesses over carving a tomb for himself deep within the mountain.(I.E. with all the varied decorations- jewel encrusted coffin, myraid traps, chained wardogs, engravings galore...) When the orcs come, enlist him as a swordsdwarf to guard the interior if they manage to breach the walls.

I would like a sword made out of the highest quality metal you can part with.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8