Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15

Author Topic: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?  (Read 37294 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's with Children's Cartoons Nowadays?
« Reply #75 on: August 31, 2009, 01:47:59 pm »

I did not expect this many replies in this topic overnight. After skimming through:

Batman the Animated Series was EPIC. No discussion. It was awesome.

I think the hate for modern cartoons is at least half nostalgia filter, there are certainly a couple good ones now (Spectacular Spiderman FTW), and there were lots of terrible cartoons back in the day as well. I'm a big nerd when it comes to cartoons.

And I have to bring up The Tick. It's even more awesome now than when I was 8. I have it on DVD. Yes. Big nerd. I know.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:50:01 pm by kinseti »

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 31, 2009, 02:28:20 pm »

I love old cartoons like Tom & Jerry and Loony Tunes, they are very often amazing art. People nowadays almost never really know what art is, not even those usually called "artists". The reason is, in the words of famus grafiti artis Banksy; "The thing I hate the most about advertising is that it attracts all the bright, creative and ambitious young people, leaving us mainly with the slow and self-obsessed to become our artists.. Modern art is a disaster area. Never in the field of human history has so much been used by so many to say so little. "

As for those old cartoons being "overly coarse, and reusing the same jokes over and over again", I might inform people of that opinion that it's called "slapstick", and is a curius thing.
The word "humour" is an umbrella term, it consists of a few cor concepts, Puns, Irony, Nonsense, some others I have forgoten... and slapstick. Slapstick is as old as humanity itself, or perhaps older, and an imense amount of powerfull traditions have formed around it. If I tell you to think abaut a being that embodies the conept of humor, what do you think of? Most likely a clown, or a jester, and both these specialize in slapstick. If I tell you to think of an item asociated with humor? Most likely a banana peal, or a thrown pie. Slapstick again.
Slapsting is phehaps the one thing that is both highly sophisticated at the same time as apealing to the lowest comon denominator, the same slapstic scene can be seen by a small child, a mentaly ill person, a genius, an artist or a general, a pesant or an elevated leader, and all will laugh side by side.
Slapstick is an art, and hard to archive beyond the basics, just because i something you laugh at, and something the greatest idots can enjoy, does not mean that it itself is silly or idiotic, for is not laughter the most archetypical sign of happyness?

Slapstick is the art of making peaple happy, and to master it you must sacerfice the thing you hold most dear; your dignity.
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 31, 2009, 02:50:43 pm »

SPACE GHOST was flippin great. I don't think I ever watched it, but it was great.

Johny Quest was great too.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 31, 2009, 03:10:25 pm »

Space Ghost Coast to Coast was also frickin' awesome. I can't remember why though.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 31, 2009, 03:11:56 pm »

The Brak Show was cool too.

Adult Swim was awesome when it was pseudo-dubs of old cartoons.  Now we have to sit through this irritating hipster stuff.
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 31, 2009, 03:14:38 pm »

Truth be known I couldn't stand Space Ghost Coast to Coast... I just plain irritated me and the Interviews were boring.

I found it better much later when they got rid of that horrible space hum and didn't rely so much on boring interviewing to make jokes.

Note: I said Boring interviewing, as in Space Ghost would intentionally take long pauses, interupt the speaker for a long pause, or drone on for long periods of time... Add in the Space Hum and it was unbearable.

Though Space Ghost isn't a Children's Cartoon... So it doesn't counter and neither does Brak, Aqua Teen Hunger Force, or Family Guy.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 31, 2009, 03:15:28 pm »

The Brak Show was cool too.

Adult Swim was awesome when it was pseudo-dubs of old cartoons.  Now we have to sit through this irritating hipster stuff.

And Squidbillies, that show is awful and disgusting!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 31, 2009, 03:16:39 pm »

Goodness... I also couldn't stand Squid Billies. Then again I think I wasn't part of the audiance who would have found it funny.

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 31, 2009, 03:21:51 pm »

No one finds it funny is the problem, it's just that the Adult Swim guys don't know how to take a hint.

Also, that one show with the alcoholic bird and monkey is atrocious. Everyone involved in it's making should be fired, because watching it is painful. I know they want to be original, and not have to outsource all their programming to more competent people, but seriously, this is outrageously bad.

In fact, pretty much all of Adult Swim's original programming is terrible. They should change it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 31, 2009, 03:50:04 pm »

Sealab 2021 was awesome, Futurama was awesome, Tom Goes to the Mayor was awesome, Aqua Teen was less awesome but still good, Home Movies was pretty good.  The only thing on Adult Swim I still watch is Tim and Eric.  I don't know why, but I find it hilarious.

They should've taken Korgoth.  That was the final, fatal sin.  They let Korgoth go without even a partial season.  Unacceptable.
Shoes...

JoshuaFH

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 31, 2009, 04:04:51 pm »

Alright, I'll admit that Sealab, Futurama, and Aqua Teen were good, but Home Movies sucked. It's boring drivel in it's purest form. TGttM is interesting in style, but uninspired in everything else. Moral Orel was decent however, if only a tad bit revolting.

I never watched Tim and Eric, and for good reason: I never knew what the hell I was looking at.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 31, 2009, 04:25:04 pm »

I liked Home Movies, although it was one of the first of the aforementioned irritating hipster stuff.
Shoes...

Psyco Jelly

• Bay Watcher
  • It begins!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 31, 2009, 07:14:45 pm »

Harvey Birdman Attorney at Law is awesome, though it plays less than it used to.
Not only is it not actually advertising anything, it's just copy/pasting word salads about gold, runescape, oil, yuan, and handbags.  It's like a transporter accident combined all the spambots into one shambling mass of online sales.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 31, 2009, 07:20:35 pm »

Yes!  That was another one, as well as Venture Brothers.  That's one of the few good shows left.
Shoes...

cowofdoom78963

• Bay Watcher
  • check
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 31, 2009, 07:32:25 pm »

I dident really like Birdman or Sealab, boring IMO. Home Movies was awsome though.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 15