Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61274 times)

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #225 on: November 26, 2009, 04:15:15 am »

Author's Note:

And so, we wave goodbye to another of our named dwarves. Poor Falk, who had so recently come of age. In his last moments, he at last was able to finally prove himself in combat. He discovered Lab's horrifying secret and feared it was his fault, and now he's lunch.

Poor Falk.
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: November 26, 2009, 04:28:35 am »

:'(

Good story though, keep it up!
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

Servu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: November 26, 2009, 08:25:58 am »

Carp! I read this page first!

The update was great anyway though. Keep it up!

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: November 26, 2009, 11:10:29 am »

Labs is a B.A.  ;D
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: November 28, 2009, 03:31:28 am »

On another corner of the battle, the dwarves of the Courageous Bolt had formed a protective circle around Kubluk and Dirulal. The two dwarves were watching with amazement at the methodical destruction being wrought by their protectors. Axes rose and fell as if chopping at nothing more than old wood, and blades whirled constantly in a ferocious wall of moving steel.

Yet still the undead came. Every few moments one would breach their defences and stumble towards the pair, forcing them to fight for their very survival.

“We can’t possibly keep this up all day!” Kubluk shouted to his companion, as he heaved a decayed human into the path of Legon’s passing blade. “We’re going to tire eventually, and the gods only know how many of these beasts there are!”

Legon gutted the zombie and kicked the remains from the end of his blade. “Kubluk’s right sir, we’re taking losses we can’t afford, and time isn’t on our side. The flood isn’t going to wait forever!”

Othtar shouted from a short distance away in response. “I’m open to ideas people. We can’t just abandon the wagons, everything we need is in them!”

Tacken leapt from the battle onto the lead wagon. He planted himself on the bench and grabbed the reins between his hands.

“What are you doing?!” Kubluk shouted towards him.

“I’m doing what I’m paid to do,” he answered. “I’m keeping this train moving!”

“Clear us a path!” he shouted, blowing a deafening whistle from his lips that could be heard over even the clamour of the battle. Slowly, and with a chorus of complaints from the various animals leading the wagons, the caravan clattered into movement.

The Courageous Bolt moved into formation ahead of the lead wagon, battering the undead from its path. Every few moments, one of them would be crushed under the heavy moving wheels of the laden wagons. As the wagon gained speed, the fighting dwarves were forced to increase their pace, until they were moving at a brisk jog. Still they fought on, turning to stab and slice at the undead as they passed.

“Get aboard the wagons!” Othtar shouted to the others.

One by one, the dwarves turned away from the combat and leapt aboard the accelerating caravan. The military dwarves held back, allowing the various civilians time to clamber aboard. The undead attackers fought on aggressively, before noticing the dwarven numbers diminishing as one by one they vanished from their midst.

The Bolt surged forward, smashing a narrow pathway through the lines of the undead. The swarm closed on the wagon with a ferocious determination, but it was too late. With a final shout of victory, the wagons burst from their number, and began to gain speed. Aboard the lead wagon, Tacken hung onto the reins for dear life, the wind rushing through his hair. He laughed loudly, and raised his hat with one hand above his head.

“Yeeeehaaaw!” he yelled.

Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: November 28, 2009, 05:59:06 am »

yay for zombie-be-gone :P
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #231 on: November 28, 2009, 12:46:12 pm »

I was hoping for some of the dwarfs to go undead at this point....

Or...There could be an undead civil war later on?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: November 28, 2009, 03:08:26 pm »

I thought that was awesome.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: November 28, 2009, 11:06:14 pm »

That was brilliant.  That is now on my list of things to do in the event of Zombie Invasion (with a car, though).  Which I didn't have before now.

An old Volvo station wagon would probably do nicely . . .
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: November 29, 2009, 04:55:27 am »

You need to plan a little more. I have cohesive plans in place for zombie outbreaks, alien invasions, military incursions, civil war, and if all else fails I can convert my house into a giant mech at the touch of a button.

Welcome to Spiritwood

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: November 29, 2009, 06:09:36 pm »

and if all else fails I can convert my house into a giant mech at the touch of a button.

That sounds like something id try to build  ;D.
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: November 29, 2009, 07:54:07 pm »

Riding a caravan through a sea of undead, blitzing anything in the path...

Yes... I would definately give a resounding "Yeeeehaaaaw" at that point.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 04, 2009, 03:37:02 am »

Sorry for the delay, I should have the next update for you tomorrow. I've been busy on various other writing projects that no matter how long I glare at them refuse to write themselves.

Welcome to Spiritwood

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 04, 2009, 01:19:09 pm »

No problem, im willing to wait, as long as you dont pull a nist-akath on us.
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 08, 2009, 04:20:12 am »

Within the space of an hour, the distant moans of the undead subsided into the distance, and the caravan reduced its speed to a crawl. Aboard each wagon, the dwarves were taking stock of their losses. A cursory roll-call of the military dwarves revealed a loss of as dozen, with civilian casualties of at least twenty. The gaps in their numbers were evident from the unattended packs laying abandoned.

Within the silence and privacy of a covered wagon, Labs sat shielding himself from the scrutiny of the others. The dwarf instinctively scratched at his wounded arm, and cursed to himself as he felt a sliver of flesh peel away. He knew he should stop, but the infernal itching was driving him crazy. And the cold, the deep penetrating cold that had spread from his arm throughout his whole body. He shivered involuntarily, and wrapped his blanket tighter around him.

Aboard the lead wagon, Legon spat into the road. “Those damned deadites. You should have let us finish them off!” he growled accusingly at Kubluk. The unwilling leader of the expedition looked startled, and stammered for a response.

“But, we were losing. We needed to escape…” he finally answered.

“We’re dwarves,” Legon snapped. “We don’t run from anyone. And you made us run.”

“If we’d stayed, we’d have all died for nothing!” Kubluk snapped. “You agreed with me at the time! You said we should run!”

“Then I was wrong,” Legon growled. “We should have stayed and fought!”

Othtar leaned over from the other side, and placed a large hand with affection on Legon’s shoulder. “Calm yourself Legon, Kubluk didn’t make us run away. He is a true dwarf, and he led us courageously into the battle.” He grinned, and waved his other hand to encompass their surroundings. “It’s not his fault the deadites were too slow to follow us here.”

Legon looked around the wagons at the empty plain. The landscape was undisturbed, and swayed gently in the breeze. In the distance, a gull cried.

“The Battle of the Silent Plains,” he nodded to himself, finally satisfied. “Let it be remembered to history as the first fight in which the dwarves were the only side courageous enough to take part.”

He raised his axe above his head, and bellowed a battle cry into the silence.

“Courage and honour!”

Tacken snapped at the reins, and the wagons increased speed to a gallop. Aboard the wagons, soldier and civilian alike clung to their perches as the dwarves rode into battle against their absent opponent.

High above them atop the distant cliffs of the Crevice of Orbs, a lone rider sat astride a powerful black horse, watching the charge of the dwarves with a faint smile of amusement. He brushed a silver hair from his eyes, and tucked it behind his tall slender ear.

“There you are,” the elven rider quietly remarked to himself, before gently steering his mount away from the cliffside.
« Last Edit: December 09, 2009, 05:32:17 am by Cirius »

Welcome to Spiritwood
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 25