Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25

Author Topic: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood  (Read 61272 times)

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Captain's Log- Spiritwood
« Reply #255 on: January 03, 2010, 06:27:56 pm »

Ahh, the joys of crappy internets. We had to switch from Comcast after 6 successive repairmen failed to get the high speed cable internet we payed for to go faster than middle grade dial up. I think it was the one who showed up drunk that broke the camels back, though the three in a row who "needed another part" and then reported it was repaired didn't help.

Internet is the only utility that it seems to be acceptable to fail to repair for long periods of time. Gotta love it.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 03, 2010, 06:34:01 pm »

The idiot probably wore through one of the jackets and shorted out the ground with one of two connection cables.

At any rate, sweet update!
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

DwarfOfDefeat

• Bay Watcher
  • Reproduces through Mitosis
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 11, 2010, 04:54:27 pm »

i thought this funny when mine was taken over mine was just a one time for they all died from a volcanoe burst. :/ crap happens
"Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled of elder berries!

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 14, 2010, 05:01:14 am »

Labs sat on a filth-covered log, warming his hands over the dying embers of a small fire. Beside him sat a fisherdwarf he didn’t recognise, wrapped in a thick blanket. The two of them were idly passing the time discussing fishing stories, anything to keep away the thoughts of the darkness that enveloped the camp like a shroud.

A bolt of agony drove through his arm causing him to twitch.

“Are you feeling well?” his companion asked, with a concerned note in his voice.

Labs nodded gently, disguising the pain by scratching his arm. “I just took a scratch, nothing to worry about.”

“You should get some rest, we have another long day ahead of us tomorrow.”

“Perhaps you’re right, I am lagging a little.” Labs replied. He moved to rise, and the other dwarf helped him to his feet. As Lab caught the other dwarf’s eyes, he noticed them widen in shock.

The dwarf shuddered almost imperceptibly, and stuttered, “g’night.”

As Lab slumped off towards his sleeping area, the other dwarf sat in silence for a few moments. His eyes, he thought to himself in wonder. Full of fire and pain. He shook his head in wonder, trying to rid himself of the image, and poked at the dying embers with a stick.

Labs lay in the darkness, blanket wrapped tightly around him. The agony of the spreading pain was intense, making sleep impossible for the dwarf. Despite the shroud of night, every bolt of pain burst like a firework in his head, and a buzzing reverberated through his skull like a furious swarm of insects. He tore the blanket from his shoulders and hurled it aside, sweat scattering from his brow. A stream of obscenities spewed forth into the night as he staggered to his feet, and plucked a nearby length of wood from the ground. Leaning heavily upon the wood, he staggered off into the darkness.

Dawn broke over the plains, scattering slivers of sunlight through the sparse vegetation. The dwarves blinked in the morning light, stretching their aching limbs, tending to their bruises, and began to organise their belongings in preparation for departure. In the centre of the encampment, Kubluk was assisting Dirulal in packing away the provisions.

“Think we’re free of pursuit?” Dirulal asked.

Kubluk looked into the morning mist. “I don’t think they ever give up Dirulal. It’s just a matter of how long it takes them to catch up to us. I doubt that’s the last we’ll see of them.”

Dirulal spat into the dust. “We lost some good dwarves yesterday.”

“And we’ll lose plenty more, I’m sure. But I need you to stay focused.”

Dirulal grinned. “With you to the end Kubluk. As my father once told me, from here to distant shores, we’re always dwarves together.”

“Kubluk!” A young dwarf ran over to their fire and took a moment to regain his breath. “Labs has gone missing. Silus said there’s been no sign of a struggle, he’s just, gone!”

“Gone? How can he just be gone?” Kubluk asked, thoroughly confused.

“His gear’s still unpacked from last night. He didn’t take anything with him as far as we know, but we just can’t find him anywhere.”

The group rose from the cooling fire, and ventured over to where a group of soldiers were stood looking extremely confused over the missing dwarf’s possessions.

“Who was the last to see him?” Othtar asked, crouching in the dirt and looking through the open pack.

“I was,” a fisherdwarf remarked. “We were trading stories about carp and he complained about feeling tired. As far as I knew, he went straight to bed. He did strike me as a little odd though.”

“Odd? In what way?” Kubluk asked.

“He was looking very pale. No, more than that, he looked almost, green.”

“Green?”

“Green. And his eyes. His eyes were burning like lava. I could barely look into them.”

Othtar stood slowly, a rag held in his hand. He unravelled it with a puzzled look on his face, which soon turned to a look of anger. “Blood. He must have been bitten in the battle,” he remarked, before shouting the call to arms. As the soldiers began an intense search of the camp, he turned to Kubluk. “We could have the undead down on us in less than an hour unless we move out now. Where there’s one, there’s hundreds.”

“But Labs?”

“Labs is dead.”

Labs staggered up the winding trail, his feet faltering every few steps as intense pain drove through every nerve of his body.  Still he drove himself onwards, pushed by sheer determination and self-will. His eyes burned with cold fury, a sheer dwarven rage against the unfairness of his fate. As his feet propelled him forwards he muttered four words, again and again. Even when the pain grew too much, and his muttering was overtaken by gasps of pain, still he continued the mantra within his own head.

“I will not die, I will not die.”

The lone dwarf staggered with devastating slowness to the summit of the ridge. He turned for one last time, and looked back to where the distant smoke of the campsite could be seen far back in the valley. From this distance, he could make out none of the detail of the camp, but could easily imagine the dwarves disassembling the camp for the days journey. Had they even noticed his departure? He pondered this question for a moment before another bolt of agony drove through his body.

With a final sigh to himself, he turned his back to the distant dwarves, crossed the peak and disappeared from sight. For a moment, his words were carried on the breeze, until they as well scattered and faded.

“I will not die, I…”
Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood

Thief^

• Bay Watcher
  • Official crazy person
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 14, 2010, 05:52:14 am »

oh wow, very nice.

Glad to have you back in the land of the internet-enabled.
Dwarven blood types are not A, B, AB, O but Ale, Wine, Beer, Rum, Whisky and so forth.
It's not an embark so much as seven dwarves having a simultaneous strange mood and going off to build an artifact fortress that menaces with spikes of awesome and hanging rings of death.

QuakeIV

• Bay Watcher
  • Cant resist... must edit post.
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 14, 2010, 01:38:53 pm »

Awesome post, this is a great story, im definately enjoying it.  ;D
GENERATION 9: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.
I wish my grass was emo, then it would cut itself.
Quote from: Jesus
Quote from: The Big Fat Carp
Jesus, you broke the site!
Sorry, Bro.
link to quote

Outcast Orange

• Bay Watcher
  • [SOMETIMES_SQUID]
    • View Profile
    • The Outcast Orange
« Reply #261 on: January 14, 2010, 03:43:12 pm »

My current favorite in progress.
What a read!
[7:53:55 PM] Armok, why did you demand that I don't eat you?
[7:54:34 PM] [Armok]: woooooo

Burried Houses - Platform Explorer Demo H - Cloud Scream

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #262 on: January 14, 2010, 03:59:51 pm »

Oh poor labs.

I wonder how long it will take until you are down to the starting seven.
How many dwarfs are left alive?
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: January 21, 2010, 07:01:30 pm »

Oh man.  This must have been updated while I was out of town.

Gotta feel sorry for Labs.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 25, 2010, 09:05:47 pm »

Aww, poor me. :(  What happened to this thread?
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

addictgamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Penguin Developer
    • View Profile
    • Github
« Reply #265 on: January 25, 2010, 09:09:07 pm »

I'm watching it, waiting hungrily for updates, so I ask the same question.

My guess is his internet is still in the pits.
I'm patiently waiting for the ability to mine and construct palaces in adventure mode.
Barony. A 3D, multiplayer roguelike I am developing.

BladeBerserker

• Bay Watcher
  • BladeBerserker cancels Life; Interrupted by DF
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 27, 2010, 02:30:39 am »

I just read this through, and man am I riveted! I was reading it so intensely I missed the caravan from the mountainhomes :o!
You rock Cirius! ;D
If it doesn't work, apply magma. If THAT doesn't work, apply Artifact Gabbro Cabinet

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #267 on: February 01, 2010, 06:07:59 pm »

IMMA dropping the B-Bomb!!!!

I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Labs

• Bay Watcher
  • This aggresion will not stand, man.
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: February 02, 2010, 03:24:25 pm »

Looks like the Czar Bomb.
I like to slip into bear caves around midnight and gently caress the carnivore inside before leaving a small cut of fresh fish and sneaking out.

Cirius

• Bay Watcher
  • The Saga Master of Spiritwood
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: February 04, 2010, 04:09:39 am »

Rain lashed the moor with an intense fury, reducing the progression of the dwarves to a slow crawl. Due to the slowed pace, the caravan had contracted into itself, with less than a foot between the nose of the mules and the wagon in front. Wrapped tightly within leather cloaks, the dwarves travelled almost in almost silence, save for the occasional barked order from one of the military commanders. Since their hurried departure from camp, the mood of the caravan had been solemn as the wagons clattered their way slowly through the sodden ruts and flooded ditches.

Kubluk was troubled. Occasionally Dirulal would notice him  glancing upwards at the threatening clouds looming above them. Finally, he could bear the slience no more.

“You think this is it? The start of the flood?” he asked, following Kubluk’s skyward gaze with a pointing finger.

Kubluk shrugged. “Honestly? I don’t know. Moist promised us more time, and we haven’t even started work on the ship yet.”

“But?”

“But he hardly seemed certain of himself when I did speak to him. I got the impression his timeframe was more of a guess than a god-given prophecy.”

“You doubt the wisdom of the gods?”

“It’s the wisdom of the gods that got us into this mess in the first place.”

Dirulal paused. “Fair enough. Tried asking him?”

Kubluk raised an eyebrow. “Asking him, what do you mean?”

Bringing his hands together under the relative shelter of his hood, Dirulal chuckled. “Prayer can be of great help to those in need.”

Kubluk looked blankly for a moment, then seemed to brighten up. “It’s worth a try, I suppose,” he commented, almost to himself.

“It is?” Dirulal looked puzzled.  “I was joking old friend.”

“To be honest, what have we got to lose?”

Dirulal looked around, into the lashing rain, taking in the sad and miserable faces of the dwarves around him, the biting cold, and finally nodded slowly.

Kubluk, feeling slightly foolish, clasped one hand over the golden ship idol hanging from the chain around his neck, and closed his eyes.

“Moist?” He spoke into the darkness.

Only silence responded to his call.

He paused, then repeated himself.

“Moist Vetek the Damp? Will you answer my prayers?”

The silence repeated itself, this time with a little more emphasis.

Kubluk found himself getting angry. He was a dwarf. The gods existed to serve him, not the other way round. He’d be damned if he was just going to sit there talking to himself.

Taking a mental deep breath, he slammed his axe into the ground and shouted into the darkness.

“Moist, where in the mountainhome are you?! I swear to the rest of you, if you don’t bring me to Moist right now, I’ll cut your knees off and feed them to the children!”

A deep voice boomed in the darkness of his skull.

“Who dares intrude upon the sanctity of Nomoddom, the chamber of the gods?”

Kubluk opened his eyes, and was startled to find himself once again amongst the vast towering pillars of the gods’ domain. He looked down and was startled to see a ghostly representation of his own axe embedded deeply in the perfect stone floor.

“I am Kubluk Taniden,” he began.

“Prophet Kubluk, the Captain.” The voice answered, after several moments. “You may approach the chamber.”

Arch-Bishop Cirius started at the ringing of the bell, which signalled the arrival of a pilgrim with a problem to throw at him. It was always a problem. Nobody ever came to say the hymns with him... Or say happy birthday.

Welcome to Spiritwood
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 25