Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Breeding/Modding Beak Dogs.  (Read 1592 times)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Breeding/Modding Beak Dogs.
« on: August 18, 2009, 04:02:17 pm »

Well, I started on this quixotic quest here:Breeding Beak Dogs, but it has moved into modding territory.

Summary:
1) I added "TRAINABLE" and "PET" to Beak Dogs.
2) I captured 20 or so in cage traps. They were "Invaders" on the "u" menu.
3) I threw them into a pit containing all of my cats, four dogs, two donkeys and a horse.
4) The horse kicked the everloving stuffing out of them. But I managed to isolate the horse. So...
5) I did indeedy get "Beak Dog pups". Excellent!
6) Um, the other beak dogs don't like them. The pups are initially "hostile" on the "u" menu.
7) I cage everyone, sort them, kill the older dogs off.
8) I'm able to tame the pups! I get "Stray Beak Dog Pups (Tame)" pretty much on-plan here.
9) The pups grew up.
10) The Dungeon Master says no suitable animal when I ask for a War Critter.
11) I let -this- generation breed.
12) I kill off the first born-in-captivity generation.
13) I let the remaining never-hostile pups grow up.
14) They are indeed trainable into War Beak Dogs.

Much celebration.

But...

An unlucky kobold snuck in my sally port and met a war beak dog. Suddenly my sally port has a liberal coating of blood... and my dwarves are cowering from my war beak dog. Very irritating. He's still marked as tame.

The butcher was able to walk right up to him and take him for a little one-way walk without ever getting scared (which is weird too).

But... why did this happen? And is there a tag I can change to prevent this without regenerating the world? All I've modified is adding "PET" and "TRAINABLE" to stock beak dogs in an existing world. The goblins provided the beak dogs (in the hundreds by this point. I have 300 beak dog quivers, for instance.)

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Breeding/Modding Beak Dogs.
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2009, 12:21:43 pm »

39 views and no thoughts?

This is my first "mod", so if I'm falling for a newb mistake, feel free to slap me. Or point me at whatever I should be reading or searching for.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2009, 12:11:19 pm »

Hmm. Odd. I've nearly had the same thing, but not quite. I have some fully tame beak dogs (brought on embark), but I've had a couple guys quit doing something because hey were "handling dangerous animal" (hur hur hur). My felwargs (fire-breathing magma-dogs) have all the same tags, yet aren't dangerous animals apparently. Very odd.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Winterbrass

• Bay Watcher
  • [HOMEOTHERM:10032]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2009, 04:16:28 pm »

Were your felwargs marked with [EVIL]?

(On the other hand, any dwarf not considering a unicorn a dangerous animal is in for a very, very rude awakening.)
[PANTS:ITEM_PANTS_PANTS:RARE]
[CAN_CIV][CAN_SPEAK]
[ETHIC:USE_MIND_ALTERING_SUBSTANCES:ACCEPTABLE]
[ETHIC:CAUSE_UNFUNNY_DRAMA:SHUN]
[ETHIC:PLAY_DF_AS_ELVES:UNTHINKABLE]

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2009, 05:07:49 pm »

Most creatures are, I'm using a race that uses evil animals.
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2009, 10:55:40 pm »

Not sure if the dangerous animal announcement has something to do with all that. I've had it with ordinary war dogs - just assign one to a cage and then set the cage for removal before the dog is brought there.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2009, 03:35:42 am »

Beak Dog Raw:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:BEAK_DOG]
[NAME:beak dog:beak dogs:beak dog]
[TILE:'B'][COLOR:4:0:0]
[MODVALUE:2]
[LARGE_ROAMING][FREQUENCY:25]
[POPULATION_NUMBER:10:20]
[CLUSTER_NUMBER:3:7]
[LARGE_PREDATOR][EVIL][MOUNT][MEANDERER]
[PETVALUE:50]
[GRASSTRAMPLE:0]
[BONECARN]
[PREFSTRING:chatters and clicks]
[PREFSTRING:hunched backs]
[PREFSTRING:large beaks]
[BODY:HUMANOID:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[BODYGLOSS:PAW:CLAW_HAND]
[SIZE:7]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:beak dog pup:beak dog pups]
[FAT:1]
[ALL_ACTIVE]
[BIOME:MARSH_TEMPERATE_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME:MARSH_TEMPERATE_SALTWATER]
[BIOME:MARSH_TROPICAL_FRESHWATER]
[BIOME:MARSH_TROPICAL_SALTWATER]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10067]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]

Dog Raw:
Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:DOG]
[NAME:dog:dogs:dog]
[TILE:'d'][COLOR:6:0:0]
[PETVALUE:30][NATURAL]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][TRAINABLE][PET]
[BONECARN]
[PREFSTRING:loyalty]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:MOUTH]
[BODYGLOSS:PAW]
[SIZE:5]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:puppy:puppies]
[FAT:1]
[DIURNAL]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10070]
[LAYERING:100]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MUNDANE]

If you want to use break dogs as a buyable, trainable pet without breaking their existing behavior for sieges, I'd suggest you create another entry for them.

If you don't mind, try this:
Remove [LARGE_PREDATOR][MEANDERER][MOUNT] and possibly [EVIL] if you want.
Add [COMMON_DOMESTIC][trAINABLE][PET_EXOTIC] to make them trainable and buyable on embark.

That should make them larger dogs with a few different aesthetic traits, which shouldn't allow them to behave erratically.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2009, 12:02:12 pm »

Could you walk me through this a little?

Not sure I need "COMMON_DOMESTIC" - I'm not looking to re-embark. Does it have some side-effect that I need other than just providing access to beak dogs? (Beak dogs I've got. And pups. And the children of born in captivity pups. And beak dog roasts out the wazzu. And...)

What, exactly, is the effect of some of these other tags? MOUNT is clearly in use.

Adding a new "Domesticated Beak Dog" entry falls under the "Regenerate the world and lose the nearby beak-dog-riding goblin armada," yes?

So... trying to see what I can do -without- regenerating, and without making it so the goblins can't use their beak dogs.

Not looking to unbalance anything so much as "fix" something I saw as an oversight.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2009, 12:08:58 pm »

Could you walk me through this a little?

Not sure I need "COMMON_DOMESTIC" - I'm not looking to re-embark. Does it have some side-effect that I need other than just providing access to beak dogs? (Beak dogs I've got. And pups. And the children of born in captivity pups. And beak dog roasts out the wazzu. And...)

What, exactly, is the effect of some of these other tags? MOUNT is clearly in use.

Adding a new "Domesticated Beak Dog" entry falls under the "Regenerate the world and lose the nearby beak-dog-riding goblin armada," yes?

So... trying to see what I can do -without- regenerating, and without making it so the goblins can't use their beak dogs.

Not looking to unbalance anything so much as "fix" something I saw as an oversight.

I'm not sure if I can help you with the fixing part, because I think aggressive pets are just a bug overall.

If you make another breed of beak dog, they won't interfere with existing ones being mounts.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2009, 12:33:43 pm »

If you make another breed of beak dog, they won't interfere with existing ones being mounts.

If I took an existing but useless animal like the Cow and slapped the code for a "Domesticated Beak Dog" in there, can I get away with avoiding a regeneration? I'd be able to buy the (new) critters fine. Can I actually change the name out from under things without a regeneration? That is, if the only change I made is changing the NAME line? It wouldn't be a -new- entry...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2009, 01:02:31 pm »

If I took an existing but useless animal like the Cow and slapped the code for a "Domesticated Beak Dog" in there, can I get away with avoiding a regeneration? I'd be able to buy the (new) critters fine. Can I actually change the name out from under things without a regeneration? That is, if the only change I made is changing the NAME line? It wouldn't be a -new- entry...

sure, that should work.

I think mules are a good choice for this case.

bluea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2009, 01:05:16 pm »

Mules was my first choice. Then I realized the elves would be using them as pack animals.

Wait... that's a feature! ;)

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2009, 03:30:01 pm »

Strange. You can change EVERYTHING, except one tiny little letter in one tiny little word at the very top of the creature entry.