Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96181 times)

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Deadline Monday, 9/21
« Reply #465 on: September 15, 2009, 05:55:03 pm »

A stray cat has been encased in cooling magma

...and isn't that what Dwarf Fortress is all about?

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: September 15, 2009, 06:09:10 pm »

I'm down to 10 months to go. I think the megaproject will be done at the end of the season, but it's hard to tell. Framerate fluctuates from 0 to 1 again. Averaging about 3-4 days per hour - that should pick back up in a month. More migrants. 166 pop now, way too much gobbo crap to pick up. Plenty of food, booze. Enough farm space for 1000 dwarves.

I think I'm going to give up on one of the projects, so I'm trying to plan out for another. I've got enough workforce, just not enough ideas and I kind of like how the fortress is setting up the way it is.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: September 15, 2009, 06:36:32 pm »

N-n-n-n-ninja Hydra!

I wonder if i can capture that too... Hyrda vs. Titan vs. goblins!

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: September 15, 2009, 08:50:50 pm »

so, I've finished work on two levels of my volcano castle, started on the next two and i have 4 more to go. after that i will furnish the place, get everything working, creating the magma moat and then my physical smokestack. i started late 101, its late 102 currently and i have intl 108 starts to finish it, so four more years?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: September 15, 2009, 09:09:59 pm »

Results of the last poll:
Players: What is your greatest challenge on this map?
Piercing the Dual-Layer Aquifer    - 7 (28%)
Defenses from Evil Marsh and Magma Critters    - 2 (8%)
Securing Food/Drinkable Water for Dwarves    - 0 (0%)
Designing a Fortress for the Site    - 5 (20%)
Challenge? I am a Dwarf Fortress Master!    - 11 (44%)

Seems folk are pretty confident about this one, by and large (though I wonder how many votes were actually from players :P). Seems that the critters are only a passing concern, compared to the Aquifer portion of the challenge, and the pressures of out-designing the opponent's fortresses.

Anyway, seeing as how many players are still working on their forts but have a number of IG years to go (8 years is a pretty decent time), I was wondering how the contestants and judges would want to handle this. A new poll is up to cover this.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:17:01 pm by Solifuge »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: September 15, 2009, 09:17:55 pm »

Oh my god! Its 100% for an extension!

DO IET
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 09:24:22 pm by realmfighter »
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

CobaltKobold

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼HOOD☼ ☼ROBE☼ ☼DAGGER☼ [TAIL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: September 15, 2009, 09:33:47 pm »

mind, there shouldn't be a penalty if the fort is in fact finished before eight years.

Though, if you REALLY can't think of something to do to use more time..
Neither whole, nor broken. Interpreting this post is left as an exercise for the reader.
OCEANCLIFF seeding, high z-var(40d)
Tilesets

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: September 15, 2009, 09:45:02 pm »

I'm in favor of an extension, depending on how many need one. I'll be done in time, but I've had the game running at least 4 hours a day since day one (and more like 12 today since I'm home sick), and it'll still be close due to the spectacularly crappy frame rate due to my project choices. 

The critters weren't too much of a challenge, but they weren't a cakewalk either. The wildlife mostly dried up once the gobbos showed up regularly. The ninja nature of them required me to reconsider major aspects of my projects, and the gobbos killed more dwarves than expected. I've played no-immigration fortresses with orcs on, so I know how to *never* get a dwarf killed due to anything but flying hostiles beyond the first few months, while keeping the map full pathable. This map was considerably more difficult to achieve that goal.

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: September 15, 2009, 09:56:01 pm »

note to self: making a channel directly over the magma flow is not a smart idea.

in other news; I do expect to finish; but if there are people who think they won't finish, by all means expand the time limit by up to a week (

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #474 on: September 15, 2009, 10:36:34 pm »

I would favor an extension but I think map submittal as is is a fair judging. An extension would bring out better forts... I know I'm going to be rushing to hit 8 years by Monday but I'm still working hard at it.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: September 15, 2009, 10:41:52 pm »

I would favor an extension but I think map submittal as is is a fair judging. An extension would bring out better forts... I know I'm going to be rushing to hit 8 years by Monday but I'm still working hard at it.

Whats wrong with giving people that have slow computer, started late or just generally the same amount of (in game) time as everyone else? Sure it bring out better forts but everyone who finished early were already at that level.
Besides, this is a competition to judge how good at DF you are, not how well you can rush a mega project!
« Last Edit: September 15, 2009, 10:43:36 pm by realmfighter »

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: September 15, 2009, 11:35:24 pm »

I favor an extension, mostly because I'm at 104 and I know I'm not getting much done with it this week because of real life, so it's pretty self serving. =P

The critters were a very tiny problem to me, directly (one direct death from harpy).  The human sieges caused by the critters killing the liaison was a much larger problem. 

I also ran out of food the first or second winter (due to a self imposed restriction of no booze cooking -- I had plenty of booze, but nothing to eat, and due to oversight had cooked all of my plump helmets, so no more seeds), but that was stopgapped by butchering a bunch of animals to last until spring.

At no point have I ever really considered my fort in danger, but, then again, I haven't done any aboveground works yet.  If the elves and humans brought logs to trade, I doubt I'd venture aboveground at all.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Tykk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: September 16, 2009, 01:04:39 am »

My FPS has really plummeted in the last few seasons with the addition of so many migrants. I think I am sitting on 115 or so, with unknown amounts of stone, and I keep trying to cull the tame animal population, but they keep reproducing as well so... yeah. My megaproject isn't going to be finished, and the couple of other projects I have aren't really superior in any way. A DF atom smasher project set up pretty well for this map, I think, the aquifer pierce went pretty well in my opinion too.

I won't be finishing the 8 years but I should still be turning in my fortress for judging. I don't expect superior ratings, but my fort has survived well enough.

On another note, I haven't had much problem with wildlife either. In the beginning one of my dogs killed the Magma Man, the 3 imps that were on the map hid off in a corner for a long while, eventually set the entire map on fire, but I don't remember the cause. After everything burned down they ended up being slaughtered by my dogs and a few soldiers that I had outside when they wandered too close.

I had beak dogs come once, and a group of harpies, all taken down by my soldiers. After that though I have just had grimelings. I leave them alone if I can, prefer to have them on the map.

Had a 2 squad goblin ambush, one with marksgobbos, the other a couple of wrestlers. Wrestlers went down easy, bu the marks took out a couple of my wandering dwarves before I could get my own marks out to the scene. Eventually took out most and they fled, only had two injured in the end, lost about 3 to that if I remember correctly.

As for caravans, I have a bit of crafts to trade but I don't accept much from the humans. I get as much as I can from the dwarves, and as for the elves, I have seized everything they've had for the past 3 years and they haven't started a war with me yet, dunno what's up with that.

Slogo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: September 16, 2009, 08:58:33 am »

Hah, so my mountain home liaison came in from the top side of my map while the caravans enter from the left because I have it blocked off as the only wagon road in. This poor liason uncovered 1 kobold thief, 1 goblin ambush, and 3 goblin thieves while trying to get into my fortress all while on the far side of my magma moat. He did manage to make it in safe and sound though as there were no bowgobs and they were close enough for my archers to shoot.

Also important warning! Carving a fortification into the bottom most z-level of the bottom edge (about center is where I did it) will cause water to flow in! I knew this was a possibility but it still surprised me, especially for the bottom most z-level.

Does anyone know if this water acts like an aquifer? If I drop water ontop of it will it 'dispose' of it like water on an aquifer layer will?
« Last Edit: September 16, 2009, 09:05:28 am by Slogo »

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: September 16, 2009, 10:08:49 am »

Hah, so my mountain home liaison came in from the top side of my map while the caravans enter from the left because I have it blocked off as the only wagon road in. This poor liason uncovered 1 kobold thief, 1 goblin ambush, and 3 goblin thieves while trying to get into my fortress all while on the far side of my magma moat. He did manage to make it in safe and sound though as there were no bowgobs and they were close enough for my archers to shoot.

Also important warning! Carving a fortification into the bottom most z-level of the bottom edge (about center is where I did it) will cause water to flow in! I knew this was a possibility but it still surprised me, especially for the bottom most z-level.

Does anyone know if this water acts like an aquifer? If I drop water ontop of it will it 'dispose' of it like water on an aquifer layer will?

No, it'll pile on top. Aquifers will only absorb water on top of the aquifer tile and you can't get on top of the  tile in this situation. The bottom level will fill to 7/7 and water will just go up.

And carving fortifications into the edge of the map often (but not always) on aquifer maps will let water in rather than out. I discovered the same thing here.  ;)
Pages: 1 ... 30 31 [32] 33 34 ... 52