Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96344 times)

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Round 2 Has Begun!
« Reply #210 on: August 30, 2009, 11:02:52 pm »

so, I've never pierced a aquifer.

shit.

how many Z levels is it?

I'm through without using the cast in early summer. Not as hard as I expected. Now to see if I can pull off the  megaproject...

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: August 30, 2009, 11:06:00 pm »

I'm through without using the cast in early summer. Not as hard as I expected. Now to see if I can pull off the  megaproject...

good for you.

could you tell me how?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: August 30, 2009, 11:07:34 pm »

could you tell me how?

Magma + water = obsidian. Just remember that you have to go through 2 levels, so make sure you give yourself enough room to work.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: August 30, 2009, 11:09:06 pm »

A master wouldn't care how many levels it is, they would plan ahead, and plan for the worst.

Realm - some might consider it a little weak to ask your competition for help.  This topic has been covered to death, both on these boards, and plenty of basic info on the wiki.  Plus,  JimG outlined 4 different methods, above. 

Really I don't Understand, am I on the same map???
Not only have I only had one Casualty that being a Dog taking down a Magmaman

Either you aren't, or I'm not.  No magma men on my map!  :-\

But yeah, no casualties, just piles of dead harpies and beak dogs.  (With imps on my shit list...)   >:(

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: August 30, 2009, 11:16:31 pm »

are we aloud to dig down the side of the magma pipe to get magma?
We may not be as brave as Gryffindor, as willing to get our hands dirty as Hufflepuff, or as devious as Slytherin, but there is nothing, nothing more dangerous than a little too much knowledge and a conscience that is open to debate

Vieto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: August 30, 2009, 11:18:01 pm »

I have come to the conclusion that, when I start the map, one of my dogs starts above lava.

Solifuge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: August 30, 2009, 11:21:33 pm »

Channeling and tunneling for Magma is okay. Just no using the Obsidian Cast to traverse Z-Levels to reaching stone layers below.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: August 30, 2009, 11:29:29 pm »

Channeling and tunneling for Magma is okay. Just no using the Obsidian Cast to traverse Z-Levels to reaching stone layers below.
wait, WHAT!?!

oh, you meant the NATURAL one. hahaha
« Last Edit: August 30, 2009, 11:32:26 pm by realmfighter »

Tykk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: August 30, 2009, 11:33:36 pm »

And I did so much work already!

*reset* bleh...

What if we're only channeling right around the mamga pipe, and not below or into the aquifer? It's not an unlimited source, but it gives you a bit of andesite. I suppose that's still against the rules, but that's what I was doing @.@

Magua

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: August 31, 2009, 12:16:51 am »

......and the aquifer is pierced, using only wood. 

The irony amuses me.

It is my understanding that you are allowed to dig / channel the obsidian cast all you wish -- you just can't put stairs/ramps into that cast.
Also, you can manufacture vomit at a smelter.  Subsequently removing the smelter spews vomit over a surprising area.

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: August 31, 2009, 12:21:42 am »

ok, what i need to do involves me going one layer down into the cast to channel out the pipes wall and finishing my tunnel.

is this ok?

eerr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: August 31, 2009, 12:35:56 am »

ok, what i need to do involves me going one layer down into the cast to channel out the pipes wall and finishing my tunnel.

is this ok?
you need to dig out your area based on how many layers you need to go through.

for 2 layers, start with at least 5x5
you leave the obsidian around in a square, then dig the next layer smaller.(3x3) leaving just enough space for the final stair case.

if that isn't enough, you need moar magmaz

I would do 9x9 just because obsidian is nice though.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 12:40:39 am by eerr »

Realmfighter

• Bay Watcher
  • Yeaah?
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: August 31, 2009, 12:42:09 am »

i've already gotten it all dug out (7X7 hole) and all i need now is the three mechanisms I've qued up

are beakdogs building destroyers?
« Last Edit: August 31, 2009, 01:13:54 am by realmfighter »

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: August 31, 2009, 01:15:59 am »

Another "already played three seasons after digging down through the obsidian cast" casualty here.  Worst part is that I really only used it for some exploratory mining on the bottom layers; otherwise I'd been busy breaking the aquifer.  No worries though, never hurts to have a rough draft.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 52