Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96301 times)

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DFM2: Embarking at GMT 4:00am!
« Reply #120 on: August 29, 2009, 07:18:37 pm »

(also, mining trains so quick that giving someone greater than novice miner is a complete waste)
Like to see you say that again as it takes a Novice Miner 8 Frames to eat into one of the four layers Rock goes through before being mined out as a Skel moves at your men at 2Frames a sec...

(Numbers exaggerated but enough to prove a point)
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 29, 2009, 07:43:54 pm »

(also, mining trains so quick that giving someone greater than novice miner is a complete waste)
Like to see you say that again as it takes a Novice Miner 8 Frames to eat into one of the four layers Rock goes through before being mined out as a Skel moves at your men at 2Frames a sec...

Honestly, that's not a compelling argument. In order to be even minimally defensible you need a door, etc.

The difference between surviving 3 days vs 5 days really doesn't make a huge difference in a game that may last 8 game years, even if the embark is your most vulnerable point.

Ultimate life and death isn't going to depend on one guy mining ever so slightly faster.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 07:46:25 pm by Martin »

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 29, 2009, 07:52:40 pm »

Honestly, that's not a compelling argument. In order to be even minimally defensible you need a door, etc.

The difference between surviving 3 days vs 5 days really doesn't make a huge difference in a game that may last 8 game years, even if the embark is your most vulnerable point.

Ultimate life and death isn't going to depend on one guy mining ever so slightly faster.
Ok then hows this...
A novice might drop a lump of stone every say 1every 4 mined tiles, it takes him around 20frames or so to get through at least one tile, making it like 160frams to get one workable stone, and thats if your unlucky, then you need to have a Mason shop built, which if you don't use your stock properly you might need that first lump of stone there, so built a mason shop and constructing a door, which takes another 100fps to finish...
Mean while you have had your miners dig out enough space to place everything outside, in, which is another 300+fps with enough miners. By that time, Skels/zombs/Hostiles that hunt down dwarves would have come at you already unless you were lucky...

Now One or two Pro Miners can do all that in half the time even less have more space mined out and you might even had enough stone to build a wall...

Basicly, you don't have enough time in this Map or kinda challenge to have your miners muck around in Dirt before they can tackle the Stone well enough...
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #123 on: August 29, 2009, 07:56:11 pm »

How about miners at +3, and a +2 military (wrestling?) to reflect the danger?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 29, 2009, 07:57:05 pm »

How about miners at +3, and a +2 military (wrestling?) to reflect the danger?
and the other 5 points???

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2009, 08:01:49 pm »

As described in my earlier post, or however else we decide to split them. Its clear the argument is over how much mining.

Also, are the +1 mining people only wanting 1 miner, or two?
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2009, 08:03:46 pm »

Basicly, you don't have enough time in this Map or kinda challenge to have your miners muck around in Dirt before they can tackle the Stone well enough...

Well, this is a survival challenge - you need to learn to make do. So long as you embarked with a single log or stone, you can build a carpenters workshop out of 2 of the logs from the wagon plus one other item, and build a wooden door or hatch cover. You need nothing more than a 1x1 room dug out before you install the hatch or door, and then you have all the time in the world to dig out a larger space unless you have buildingdestroyers after you.

If you don't even have the single log or stone, then you just need a single stone, make the masons shop out of logs from the wagon, and you're off. On our map, you don't even need to waste time taking the wagon apart.

My point is that even a completely inexperienced miner can get you more underground space than you need, before you could possibly get the space secured from building a workshop and then a door.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 08:05:27 pm by Martin »

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2009, 08:06:26 pm »

Undead have BUILDINGDESTROYER...

And there's a lot of undead on this map.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2009, 08:11:19 pm »

Hence why its more important to get a wall up over a door...
Hence why more Stone is needed, and hence why an Novice and below is not really a good idea with Undead around...
Forgot to add that to my reasons why...

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2009, 08:14:02 pm »

The door is redundant if you're going to build a wall over it, but I can see where something like that would be necessary.

Actually, Play Now!, as long as it has essentials like wood, picks, and seeds, could be good as that'd be less you would need to haul into your fortress before you close it off.

I still don't want to vote for it, however.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2009, 10:48:28 pm »

Hence why its more important to get a wall up over a door...
Hence why more Stone is needed, and hence why an Novice and below is not really a good idea with Undead around...
Forgot to add that to my reasons why...

Actually, a wall is easier than a door - you don't need a workshop and therefore you don't need a single stone.

Dig 2 tiles in, grab a log, shove everyone in, build wall. Safe.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2009, 10:58:09 pm »

But then there's the matter of getting all the supplies - pack animals (potentially), seeds, and food in. I suppose you COULD just garbage dump it all in another tile you dug out and hope you don't get attacked until then, but it's fairly risky. Plus you aren't going to survive long without any food or water/any way of getting some.

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2009, 11:01:00 pm »

never tried before, but could you channel under the wagon, and then just floor it in? You'd only need to move 9 wood of the wagon.

We should get back to that consensus. We're short on time, 30m by my reckoning.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2009, 11:08:04 pm »

You'd have to hole the floor up, though. Otherwise the skeletal things would just path through the big gaping hole in the ground.

Unfortunately, the only way to patch that up would be to dig an up-staircase (thus making another hole to patch up, and if you patched that up as well you'd be down a dwarf), or to... Ah, you could build a wall on that panel, making it a floor.

However, that'd still be tough because you can't channel upwards and I don't see how you can. But if you did that, then... there'd be more holes to patch up. Remember, however, that there most likely is no wagon in this challenge - all your stuff is just laying around all over the place.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2009, 11:12:20 pm »

Ech, I disagree with everything that's being discussed at this point, and I have a feeling I would disagree with everything that wasn't exactly what I wanted for my embark. So file me under Play Now! or choose your own.

Naturally, choose your own embark would be ideal, because the map and its location should be the challenge, not getting everyone to agree on what to bring. If some embark profiles are easier than others, tough shit to the people who didn't want to make their lives easier.

So that's where I stand.

never tried before, but could you channel under the wagon, and then just floor it in? You'd only need to move 9 wood of the wagon.

We should get back to that consensus. We're short on time, 30m by my reckoning.

Right now, I think we're ten minutes past 4:00 am GMT.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 52