Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Players/Judges: What should be done if Players haven't completed all 8 Game Years by the deadline?

1) Players will turn in their fortress as-is, at no additional penalty
- 45 (60%)
2) Players will be given a short extension, dependant on how near they are, and how many players are unfinished
- 27 (36%)
3) Players will be disquallified from scoring
- 2 (2.7%)
4) Something else (please explain)
- 1 (1.3%)

Total Members Voted: 75

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52

Author Topic: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: It's Over!  (Read 96182 times)

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
Re: [CONTEST] DF Masters 2: Survival Challenge - Signups Are Open!
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 04:38:34 am »

Ech, I wish I could compete, but I don't think I'll be able to set the time aside for a game of DF, since school starts for me next week. By the time the competition starts, I'll probably be knee deep in responsible adult activities, dammit.

I would give my opinion on the embark, but I need to see what I'll be facing before I decide what I need.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

skaltum

• Bay Watcher
  • DRAW!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 05:55:39 am »

i'd like to judge this time :)
I just realized, after adding the new body parts to the other races, that I have an entire squad of dwarves with a shield in each hand and swinging their axes with their penises. There's nightmare fuel for those goblins, in more ways than one.

Meta

• Bay Watcher
  • Aka Maunoir. French Dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 06:28:38 am »

I'm in, as a player.

For the starting build, as long as it has two picks and an axe, seeds, booze and meats it's okay. But I think that Solifuge must choose for us, because we'll spend the next days discussing eternally for the best one.
Generalized Godwin’s Law: "Every discussion within an online community converges to a zero-information signal characterized by empty assertions concerning the foundational dichotomy of that community."

Toady Two

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SCIENCE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 06:45:49 am »

I could compete. The last season looked pretty fun. I like to have some motivation to play DF.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:40 am »

Moving around alot lately, so no time to play. I'll sign up as a judge though, I want to see how this goes.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 08:14:35 am »

SIGN ME UP SCOTTY!
May I suggest 7 picks (They're cheap), a single axe for woodcutting, 40 of each kind of seeds, 10 logs for immediate building, 20 turtles, 1 kitten and 200 booze in total with 50 spent on each kind.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Dante`

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 09:08:53 am »

Wanna make this a doomed FUN Contest? Dump all food and replace with kittens.  You know what to do from there.

Glacial Eidolon

• Bay Watcher
  • Member of the Elves' Parting Association (EPA)
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 04:23:11 pm »

Hm, though I doubt I'll win anything I may as well sign up as a player. After all, no harm could come of simply trying, no matter how terribly I fail to do anything whatsoever... which would be the most likely situation by far.

I have no suggestions for embarking, however: something moderately challenging would be best, but I'm open to anything that gets picked.

Is this using any mods? [CAT_MOUTH] or anything? Also, does it necessarily matter which version of Dwarf Fortress we are using? I'd like to use 40d14, if that is fine with the topic creator.
I am perhaps the most successful troll ever because even though I do not troll others I troll myself successfully... and there are no rules against trolling yourself.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 07:04:33 pm »

I submit my application for position of Hammerer, er judge, jury and executioner - well, whatever's closest.

I'll point out that contestants who suggest highly specific mixes are both not as helpful as might be and are more likely to be disappointed when a "balanced mix" is determined.

That is, this first mix is FAR easier to head towards...

2 miners
1 planter/farmer/brewer
1 woodcutter/carpenter
plus...
-masonry
-mechanics
-apraisal/social skills
-craftsdwarf (preferable stone/bone)

...than this one...

Dwarf 1: Competent Miner, Swimmer (just in case), Proficient least-important-craftsdwarf-skill
Dwarf 2: Mason, Carpenter, Novice Woodcutter, Proficient craftsdwarf skill
...etc...

Especially regarding supplies.  Don't forget that some world maps don't have civilizations with items like coal or bauxite, or 60 different cheap meats/fishes.  I'd suggest that you expect "less" rather than "lots" in such a case.

But I'd think the judges will listen to all requests, and then come up with a suggested middle-of-the-road offering.  If I had to suggest a mix right now, I might suggest...

* 1 anvil
* 2 picks
* 1 axe
* ~40 food
* ~80 drink (maybe 21x4 types)
* ~8 each seeds
* ~4 fire-safe stones (maybe copper ore?)
* ~5 logs
* ~4 (cheap) sacks
* 4-6 dogs
* 2 cats (kill one asap if you want, the male or female, your call.  +1 leather, +3 meals, + 1 stack of 15 bone arrows, +1 skull totem.)

For skills, most "combo's" (especially complex ones) are very personal - so I'd suggest those are avoided, perhaps w/ the exception of simple military skills (wrestle and/or axe) (purely as backup).

1 Miner
1 Mason
1 Leader (/ambusher?)
1 Craft (stone is a classic)
1 Grower
1 Cook/Brewer (a classic combo)
and 1... mechanic? carpenter? weapon/armorsmith? peasant? pure military? hmmm...

If you were to add either proficient axe or wrestler to all the 1-skill dwarves, that would round them out for this particular effort.

I'd also be tempted to include one dwarf w/ Novice Ambusher skill (the social/leader) for the free stuff- maybe.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 07:17:23 pm »

I'd also be tempted to include one dwarf w/ Novice Ambusher skill (the social/leader) for the free stuff- maybe.

Ambusher needs to be the highest skill or there's no free stuff, I'm sure. I doubt a full-time hunter from the get-go is a good idea.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Samus1111111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 08:00:57 pm »

I would like to judge

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 09:29:41 pm »

As an incentive to the players to come to consensus on embark profile, I propose that the 'Embark Now!' button be used to resolve any conflict.

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 10:13:11 pm »

My ideal embark:
1 Miner
1 Mechanic / Broker
1 Mason / Carpenter
3 dwarves who each have one food skill (grower/brewer/cook) and one metalworking skill (armoror/weaponsmith/blacksmith)
Then the last one depends on the site; if I'm expecting to see any action early on it'll probably be an ambusher with some bonecarving, maybe a point or two in crowsbows.

I'll compromise though, whatever..

edit: Oh yeah, items: one anvil, one pick, and one ax, 3 dogs, 50 seeds spread between all crops (expect dimples), 25 or so turtles and the rest in drinks.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2009, 10:25:49 pm by nil »

ein

• Bay Watcher
  • 勝利の女神はここよ~ 早く捕まえてぇ~
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 11:21:21 pm »

As an incentive to the players to come to consensus on embark profile, I propose that the 'Embark Now!' button be used to resolve any conflict.

I support this plan.
I believe that makes 2 votes for this and 1 for everything else.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 19, 2009, 12:27:24 am »

Ambusher needs to be the highest skill or there's no free stuff, I'm sure. I doubt a full-time hunter from the get-go is a good idea.

This is the Master Competition, Kats.  We're all up to speed on how things work, thanks.  (Except you, apparently - you're wrong, both on how it works and the "full time" assumption. ;))

I was thinking something along the lines of...

Novice Appraisal, JoI, Building Designer, & Ambusher (4 pts), and no-skill Wrestler, Axe & Marksdwarf (+6 more = 10/10).

Something in that neighborhood.  A generic leader without being too specialized. Leaves room for players to pick the moodable skill.

« Last Edit: August 19, 2009, 03:09:32 am by Albedo »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 52