Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Very Apt Deities...  (Read 3603 times)

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Very Apt Deities...
« on: August 17, 2009, 10:47:28 am »

Quothest Oceandeaths, deity of fish, oceans, murder and death.

I'd say he's pretty much the God of carp.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Very Apt Deities...
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2009, 10:58:29 am »

If you've ever settled by the ocean, you know there are far scarier and deadlier things than carp their - carp are merely capable of traveling furthest to encounter dwarves...

:::shudders at memories of Zombie Whales and schools of Skeleton Sharks:::

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2009, 11:00:13 am »

I've modded in Size 60 Steel Squids. I know the dangers of the sea.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2009, 11:08:29 am »

The names of deities do seem to be partially determined by the sphere(s) they're aligned to. I don't know how the words are chosen, maybe spheres have hardcoded connotations to certain entries in language_SYM?

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2009, 03:47:16 pm »

The names of deities do seem to be partially determined by the sphere(s) they're aligned to. I don't know how the words are chosen, maybe spheres have hardcoded connotations to certain entries in language_SYM?

You are pretty much right.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2009, 06:17:24 pm »

I just got a good called Something Greatleader. He's the god of victory. This god doesn't mess about with names does he?
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2009, 06:22:25 pm »

Not to imply that you're wrong (I can't see any other way for it to work), but what makes you think so?

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2009, 06:31:25 pm »

Not to imply that you're wrong (I can't see any other way for it to work), but what makes you think so?
His obtuse generalization is too broad to actually mean anything. So obviously, it can't really be WRONG, now can it?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2009, 06:41:50 pm »

Well, no, it's pretty clear what it would mean.  It would be a little unusual, although I think that approach (of having "unreliable" hardcoded links to raw entry names) has been used.

Johnny Chthonic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2009, 09:05:05 pm »

If I'm not mistaken, certain spheres are tied to certain parts of Language_SYM, like he said. There's nothing else in the raws that contains naming information, and spheres are definitely used to name deities, megabeasts (dragons often have names tied to wealth and such), semimegabeasts, etc.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2009, 01:13:16 am »

Looking through Language_SYM, you can tell that the spheres are somewhat tied into the words because of some unused word sets and just the way it's organized.

Zironic

• Bay Watcher
  • [SDRAW_KCAB]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2009, 04:04:29 am »

He could be a God of overall victory. For example, he purposely leads you astray in battle so you regain your humanity. Or he kills your family to make you more well rounded. Those are sort of victories. He could be a god of - it's a victory somehow - just be an optimist.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2009, 07:19:14 am »

I don't know about apt, but I find this one neat:

Tamol Cloudyknights, takes the form of a male cave swallowman and repesents the sky and the sun.

Apart from the last name sounding kind of hippy-ish and that a giant eagle would have been a better form IMO, sounds pretty neat.

Also, in my current fortress, alot of my dwarves worship a goddess of consolation and a god of boundaries for some reason. A goddess of consolation doesn't sound particularily dwarfy, but what can I do about it.

Vengeful Donut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2009, 09:11:32 am »

He could be a God of overall victory. For example, he purposely leads you astray in battle so you regain your humanity. Or he kills your family to make you more well rounded. Those are sort of victories. He could be a god of - it's a victory somehow - just be an optimist.
God of pyrrhic victory?

Dr. Melon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2009, 11:11:46 am »

Perhaps the God of victory-by-default.
Pages: [1] 2