Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: "Damn it" moments, share them here!  (Read 7058 times)

PopeRichardCorey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: "Damn it" moments, share them here!
« Reply #45 on: November 10, 2009, 03:09:59 am »

OP: Back, and to the left.  Back, and to the left.
And when you build your fortress walls from the bones of skeletal elephants, slain my weapons forged from melted goblin plunder, fed on cattle that graze on grass that blinks.  Then, you will know dwarfdom.

andrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 10, 2009, 12:48:08 pm »

Today, I had an adventurer who spent a whole day swimming in a river, chasing carps and pikes. After I kill 60 carps, 30 other fishes, 15 alligators with my spear, since it is drowsy I decide to kill last 10 and then go to rest.

A fish bites me from behind and pierces lung and heart!
damn it.

( and I was wearing chain armor)

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 10, 2009, 11:34:15 pm »

So one of my fortresses was eventually overwhelmed by orcs, so I made another fortress, made some funtime metal weapons, and went with an adventurer to get revenge.

But when I got there, all I saw were humans. ALL 4 DARK FORTRESSES WERE TAKEN OVER BY HUMANS.

Grendus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 12, 2009, 12:24:18 am »

Was fighting a giant desert scorpion. I started by throwing stuff at him, but with no throw skill it didn't do much good so I rushed him with my axe. My axe gets embedded in his leg, and before I can remove it he breaks my weapon hand so I can't wield the thing anyways. I can't leave though, I have no money and the only quest I have is for killing a different giant desert scorpion. I ended up pelting him with clay and pebbles for a day until his cephalothorax or whatever exploded in a cloud of gore and I could get my axe.

Later I was doing the same thing with a different scorpion. I ended up throwing my axe and shield at him. Actually worked well, both of them broke limbs when they hit. Now I'm up to professional thrower just from killing scorpions.
A quick guide to surviving your first few days in CataclysmDDA:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=121194.msg4796325;topicseen#msg4796325

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 12, 2009, 01:15:53 am »

Wandering around in a cave with half a dozen human children meat shields rescued prisoners, my pike gets caught in a troll and it backs off a bit, then one of the kids kills it and steals my spear.

I had to strangle them all to get my spear back.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 12, 2009, 04:59:56 pm »

A follower actually picked up a weapon?  That's remarkable!
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 14, 2009, 12:54:33 pm »

few adventurers ago, i dodged into lake and drowned.... well 5 mins ago i started new adventurer that had competent swimming and went to try it at once. i jumped into next pool i found and then i started wondering that how the hell do i get out of here. same time that pool froze and i died.....

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 14, 2009, 01:39:31 pm »

Okay. you move up to the edge, then press alt and the direction. You can chose to move onto the bank.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 14, 2009, 01:58:32 pm »

ah thank you. though its a bit late to find that out as he is frozen already in that damned lake

Blaze

• Bay Watcher
  • The Chaos that Crawls up on you with a Smile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2009, 01:19:32 am »

Embark there and see if you can dig out his body and remaining equipment :).

DemonOfWrath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2009, 06:55:01 am »

Had an adventurer going well, slaughtered an Elf settlement of everything that moved, then moved on to a Human capital (finding those hippies is annoying...). Stole a bunch of good quality gear then proceeded over two nights to systematically butcher everyone in the town, with less than 10 remaining at the second dawn. Go on, kill about half of them, then head into the castle (or whatever it's supposed to be) and kill a child, noticing a shopkeeper across the room. Next message, "you have been struck by the flying iron bolt", mortal wound, /headdesk.

First time that adventurer had something fired at him too...

bhamv

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2009, 12:45:15 pm »

As a hammerdwarf, I storm a goblin keep that contains a chasm.  I slaughter countless goblins without any problem, when suddenly I'm attacked by a goblin swordmaster, right on the edge of the chasm.  An epic duel ensues.  The goblin draws first blood, wounding quite a few limbs while bruising my liver - basically, I'm outmatched and I figure my best chance of victory is to knock him into the chasm.  The two of us do an odd dance as we both try to keep the other between ourselves and the chasm edge. 

Finally, I have him right where I want him.  I swing my hammer, run into him, he tumbles backwards... and we both go tumbling down into the chasm.

Me: FFFFUUUUUUUUUU....

Desu

• Escaped Lunatic
  • Something witty goes here.
    • View Profile
    • Junkuchan
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2009, 09:04:10 pm »

I decided to go "fishing" as a hammerdwarf, nothing particularly dangerous or stupid, at least I thought.  I was happily punting various aquatic animals out of the river with unbridled glee when all of the sudden I started to get notification spam to the effect of "Carp has been encased in a block of ice!"  Knowing that I had little time to live if I stayed in the water any longer I quickly waddled over to the edge of the river,  I say "waddled" because for some mysterious reason the river decided it was a torrential whitewater rapid and was seriously hampering my movements as a result.  Unfortunately I discovered that I had unwittingly swam my fool hammerdwarf into a cave, I think she's still floating downstream encased in a block of ice.

Radioactive Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 18, 2009, 04:05:26 pm »

Went to search for a Giant hiding out in the caves for a quest as a bowwoman. Noticed the amount of naked mole rats trying to ambush me, and killed them all.

Then I got to the Giant and promptly realized I was out of arrows. My head was crushed.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 19, 2009, 09:48:16 am »

A follower actually picked up a weapon?  That's remarkable!

What I'm pretty sure happened is that he killed it by twisting the spear, so he automatically gained possesion when it died
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5