Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [4od11] DF Cramming itself to the top of the screen.  (Read 447 times)

AkumaXoXTenshi

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
[4od11] DF Cramming itself to the top of the screen.
« on: August 15, 2009, 04:25:18 pm »

Forgive me if this is not the place to post this or if it has been posted before. Before I post the following, I would like you to keep a few things in mind.

- I didn't mess with the init file at all and still had this problem. Why this is happening is beyond me, as I have a friend with the same tileset who also did not edit anything at all, and his plays fine. See so in this image.

http://img38.imageshack.us/img38/3945/dfpic.jpg

- It's not the tileset causing the problem, it's DF itself, because I downloaded another DF tileset and even just DF itself and it still crammed itself to the top of the screen.

- My friend is running 32 bit vista, I am running 64 bit vista. (I think that is why mine is messing up.)

- My computer is better than my friends and his plays fine. I have 8GB of Ram. This is not a performance issue.

- This is not a resolution problem. I will explain later in my report.

Alright, now, here's what is happening. I start the game, but it's crammed up at the top. The menu, the world generator, the entire game itself is at the top, with a large black space at the bottom. Turning off black space does not fix this. (There are two places to turn off black space in the init file and neither one of them going off fixes this.)

The only solution I've found was by altering my grid to 80:25. When I did this, the black space went away and the game took up the entire application window. However, it did not look natural...

For those of you who want a before and after, here is my DF before I edited anything in the init file...

http://img174.imageshack.us/img174/8813/thissucks.png (I would also like to point out now that resizing my resolution or the game's resolution does not fix this. It still crams itself to the top. However, I have a fix... A temporary one.)

This is after I edited my init file to resize it so it would fit on my desktop and altered the grid so it wouldn't have the black space under it.

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/4013/agreatimprovement.png

This my temporary solution, as of now. I don't know if finding an older version of DF will make this problem go away or if it's my computer that is just not willing to accept DF, but I would like the answers to this.

Cryten

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [4od11] DF Cramming itself to the top of the screen.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2009, 02:18:32 am »

Ive noticed this happens for zoomed out views in dwarf fortress in the opengl versions, from what I observed its just that the initial menues are a set size and dont scale being ansi art. as long as you can see the whole game in the grid like you should do I dont think its activley a problem, hopefully someone more in the know will clarify.