Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Engraving ceilings  (Read 4701 times)

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
Engraving ceilings
« on: August 14, 2009, 10:44:25 am »

Well, why not?

If I was a dwarf, I'd sure as hell want to look at pictures of that bloody dwarven cheese when lying on MY bed.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Re: Engraving ceilings
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:22:10 am »

Because ceilings don't really exist. They're the floor of the level above.

ArkDelgato

• Bay Watcher
  • ERROR - LOGICAL FALLACY
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2009, 04:46:03 pm »

Which raises a question, should having an engraved floor as your ceiling give a thought?

lucusLoC

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 14, 2009, 04:51:38 pm »

How would you communicate that the ceiling is engraved? How about if the ceiling and the floor? What if the floor is rough? Would you need two seperate designations?

Even better, how would this work when engravings occupie oly one side of the wall?
Quantum dumps are proof of "memory" being a perfectly normal dimension in DF. ~Gazz

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 14, 2009, 07:49:58 pm »

I was thinking: how about being able to build ceilings? At the moment it isnt relevant, but perhaps it would be nice NOT having mud as a ceiling, if you are dedicating yourself to build stone walls and floors. And building floors aboveground is a tad bit annoying, dontchathink
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Malsqueek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 07:54:13 pm »

Well, if you set up ceilings as an extension of a special "Support" type structure, you could build "center beam" rooms, "gothic arch" rooms, or such, and allow modifications to those arches to extend to the ceiling...

Bricks

• Bay Watcher
  • Because you never need one brick.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 08:07:15 pm »

I don't really see the point of building ceilings.  Ceilings which neither you nor the dwarfs can perceive.  For outdoors buildings, some sort of alternative to big blocks of floors for ceilings would be nice, but I don't see what advantage the ceiling would have over the floor.

The same sort of goes for engravings.  I can see the rationale of engraving a ceiling, but the game just doesn't allow it in any simple way.  You can already engrave so many tiles per room, its ridiculous.
EMPATHY - being able to feel other peoples' stuff.

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2009, 09:08:30 pm »

You can already engrave so many tiles per room, its ridiculous.

No, it's not. Really fancy temples and the like would have pretty much every surface engraved, painted, frescoed, inlaid with mosaics, gilded...the player should have the ability to do all of these things.

Even if the player can't perceive engraved ceilings (yet, we don't know what the graphics are going to look like five years down the road), the dwarfs could be coded to look at and appreciate a ceiling that is only visible to the player in the look menu.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2009, 09:26:14 pm »

I don't really see the point of building ceilings.  Ceilings which neither you nor the dwarfs can perceive.  For outdoors buildings, some sort of alternative to big blocks of floors for ceilings would be nice, but I don't see what advantage the ceiling would have over the floor.

The same sort of goes for engravings.  I can see the rationale of engraving a ceiling, but the game just doesn't allow it in any simple way.  You can already engrave so many tiles per room, its ridiculous.

well, my rationale for ceilings is on the line of not having to have the default upper tile ceiling. If you like, this could be simply being able to build a floor from the level underneath it.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 11:40:38 pm »

Building a floor from the level underneath is kind of silly. If you're building the roof of a structure, you do it while on the level of the roof, not standing eight feet below.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Qjet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2009, 12:00:41 am »

Building a floor from the level underneath is kind of silly. If you're building the roof of a structure, you do it while on the level of the roof, not standing eight feet below.
agreed

Also it makes more sense to engrave the roof then the floor, floor engravings would get worn out through traffic. Basically the only change to engraving you would need to make when engraving the roof is that the engraving is lost when the roof is removed, and not the floor. That would be all that changed.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2009, 12:14:09 am »

Well, ceiling may seem silly now, however when the cave in code is overlook, eventually load and support will need to be addressed, and that means supports.

Hopefully we can do things like fly buttresses or huge collums, and this is where ceiling will come into play.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2009, 02:37:42 am »

I'm thinking of a new sort of floor that would only show when you have dug out the tile.

See, what is silly is having to dig through a block of dirt to have a proper ceiling.

Rvlion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2009, 05:13:36 am »

Maybe a stupid suggestion, but when a dwarf is normally only engraving the floor, why doesn’t (s)he just engrave the ceiling as well at the same time. And when checking the engravements of a specific floor tile it could just say…
Engraving screen:
Ceiling:
A few writings and a picture of “Dwarf Urist McSoldier stands alone before a large group of attacking elves with only is trusty Warhammer in the year of 201 in a fortress named “Elvendeath”.”
Floor:
A few writings and a picture of “In the year of 201 in a fortress named “Elvendeath” the dwarves are very happy to be watching elves flying all over the place while Urist McSoldier is having fun”

So no building additional floors or ceilings, just a few extra lines of text in the programming (when possible since I dont know what the ceiling would be if the level above is soil)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 05:16:06 am by Rvlion »

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2009, 05:18:05 am »

BTW: perhaps my suggestion of being able to build ceilings will seem more in theme if I mention that I also strongly support giving goblins the ability to dig tunnels and sap walls (I would like to put a layer of defense above my head as well as my walls.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6