Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d12] Animals in cages commit mass suicide  (Read 1275 times)

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
[40d12] Animals in cages commit mass suicide
« on: August 14, 2009, 04:08:05 am »

So, I've had a bunch of animals in a group cage for many many many years. Most of them are children waiting to grow into adults to be slaughtered for their precious flesh, bones, and skin.

However, it appears that one crazed rhino was unwilling to await the imminent death of he and his siblings as he lead them (and one impressionable black teen) in a mass suicide:

And just to prove that this happened inside a cage, here are their corpses:

I'm pretty sure I did nothing to change their situation. My butcher was taking out other animals to slaughter them, but I've done that plenty of times before and never seen anything like... this.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2009, 04:12:13 am by Holy Mittens »

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
Re: [40d12] Animals in cages commit mass suicide
« Reply #1 on: August 14, 2009, 11:08:18 pm »

Temperature changes can kill creatures in cages, and due to the current bizarre nature of temperature damage, it shows up as bleeding to death.  Did this happen at the onset of winter?

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2009, 02:07:39 pm »

No. Also, I am in a tropical biome where I only ever get "[Season] has arrived on the calendar".

Some of my animals have taken weather damage (the alligators I bought from traders), but never past light gray. And I've had a breeding set of both white and black rhinos sitting outside of the cages for years on end with no issues. Also dozens upon dozens of rhinos inside the cages for seasons on end with no issue.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2009, 02:20:21 pm »

Did all the deaths happen simultaneously?  What mods are you using?  Did you do any additional modding around the time they died?

Holy Mittens

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2009, 05:21:08 pm »

Yes, they all happened simultaneously. I am using a bunch of mods, some the Dig Deeper stuff, but a bunch of it my own homebrew stuff.

I had not changed anything around the time of their deaths and have not changed anything since I genned this world.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2009, 04:12:26 am »

Odd.  I still suspect it might have been a freak variation in temperature that killed them, but who knows.  Let us know if it happens again.