Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Extremely pretentious craftsdwarf  (Read 2086 times)

Zantan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Extremely pretentious craftsdwarf
« on: August 12, 2009, 03:18:44 am »

I was just looking at the descriptions of my artifacts, and noticed that my artifact alder grate has an image of an andesite bracelet (how a wood carving can indicate the material of the bracelet is beyond me).  This was fairly specific, so I checked my other artifacts, and sure enough, the artifact before this one had been an andesite bracelet.  I assumed that this was what was being referenced on the grate, but when I looked at the description for the andesite bracelet, it too had an image of an andesite bracelet.  Do I have two artifacts which refer to some mythic andesite bracelet from the Age of Legends?  Or did my craftsdwarf decide that the most important thing to document was his own creations?  If so, is this a bug, or serious pretentiousness?

As a more general side note, what am I supposed to do if I want more information on the history which my artifacts document?  From what I understand, I would have to abandon my fortress and use Legends mode...

Danarca

• Bay Watcher
  • [MILL_CHILD:ONLY_IF_GOOD_REASON]
    • View Profile
Re: Extremely pretentious craftsdwarf
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2009, 03:31:05 am »

No, your bracelet is featuring itself.
Clutter god the god of godly gods.
Om Nom nom nom nom
Ah yes the god of stone stockpiles, long randomly generated names, and gods.

Murphy

• Bay Watcher
  • Lazy half-ass
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2009, 03:40:20 am »

Go to data/init/init.txt, find the [SHOW_ALL_HISTORY_IN_DWARF_MODE:NO] tag and switch it to yes. You should then be able to see the history behind the engravings and decorations.

Nexii Malthus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2009, 03:41:01 am »

Yeah, it is refering itself.

Also you can enable historic info in the init.txt for artifacts, images and engravings.

nutzy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 08:56:50 am »

Truly self indulgent dwarfs will even name their artifact after themselves  :D

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2009, 10:45:23 am »

Infinite recursion is a central focus for all programmed entities, dwarves included.  :D

But yeah, engravings (including the ones on artifacts) focus on major events of the fortress. Creating an artifact is a major event. And, somehow, the artifact is listed as 'created' before it looks for major events.
It's really common that your first artifact will be self-referential - you don't have any other artifacts competing for engraving space, and if you genned a boring world there won't be many other interesting things to carve either.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2009, 03:13:20 pm »

You can get the feature of engraved artifacts to make sense if you manage to get a world with a few good fortresses in it.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Stargrave

• Bay Watcher
  • [HATES_ELVES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2009, 03:23:16 pm »

i once had a legendary engraver make hundreds of engravings of that time he made a legendary engraving. leave it to a dwarf to figure out how to stroke himself off with a chisel and hammer.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 13, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »

When I get the artifact iron plate mail that happens to feature an image of an iron plate mail in iron, I don't interpret it as the mark of an arrogant crafter. I interpret it as a label. You know, in case the dwarves forget.

"Hey Urist, what's this thing here?"
"I dunno. Turn it over; see if there's a label."
"Oh, right. Iron plate mail, then."

thunderclan

• Bay Watcher
  • Like Fire, You Will Blaze Through The Forest
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2009, 12:15:57 am »

I find it interesting when other civilizations start featuring your artifacts in their images.

I took a brief trip to Adventure Mode today as a Human. Walked around the town looking at the images on things and discovered that the Humans had apparently decided to feature one of my current fortresses artifacts (A Larch Bracelet) on their silver coins.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2009, 07:07:31 am »

I did see that adamantine floodgate with three images of itself on.  And "Planepacked" probably has dozens, in addition to the entire history of the world it was built in...

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2009, 07:13:55 am »

See, now planepacked is a real fey mood. Documenting all that has ever happened is moodish. Creating a wooden bed out of one piece of larch is NOT A FECKING MOOD YOU STUPID DWARVES!

I'm not bitter and angry at all...
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2009, 07:15:12 am »

Yeah, in the same way that withdrawing from society and trying to create a perfect fantasy strategy game is moodish ;D.  DF is Toady's planepacked.

Brent Not Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 14, 2009, 11:33:13 am »

I find it interesting when other civilizations start featuring your artifacts in their images.
Several fortresses back, I had a strange mood result in a goblin bone weapon rack. After it was made, I noticed it started showing up as a design on the clothing and gear of the goblin invaders who came later-- at least three or four different times.

I like to think it was the goblins' way of psyching themselves up for revenge. "Don't forget: They killed Tom and made furniture out of his bones! Kill them all!"

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 14, 2009, 11:39:14 am »

I did see that adamantine floodgate with three images of itself on.  And "Planepacked" probably has dozens, in addition to the entire history of the world it was built in...
According to the wiki, Planepacked has 73 images of itself on it. AND NO CHEESE!!!
Pages: [1] 2