Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fun with Dragons.  (Read 790 times)

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
Fun with Dragons.
« on: August 11, 2009, 11:10:04 pm »

I have captured and tamed a dragon. Currently I'm just planning on using it in a dragonfire pillbox. Any other suggestions to do with it? I don't want to waste it though, that really is the only restriction.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:28:26 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with Dragons.
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2009, 11:17:28 pm »

For god's sake keep that thing away from your lignite/wood stockpiles.

Also, a dragon should be able to wipe most ambushes with a fireburst, but the potential for collateral damage is huge. Where are you putting your pillbox?

Another thing: watch out for marksgoblins. They will perforate him faster than anything if he can't get to them.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2009, 11:26:41 pm »

I will make an excellent diagram to show you the general location of the pillbox.

---|   |---|
|             |
|  |-------|
|  F          |
|  F  D      |
|  F______|

|=wall
--=wall
__=wall
F=fortification
D=where the dragon will be.

The pillbox has a roof too.
This is a diagram of the entrance. I used to have crossbowdwarves in the pillbox and I had all the walls as fortifications, but, as I'm worried about archers, I walled all that up.

Edit: There is also a walkable path from his position to the entrance, so no pathing issues.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2009, 11:29:19 pm by Beanchubbs »
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Stromko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2009, 11:36:32 pm »

Dragon pillbox sounds quite fun actually, but you're going to need something to stop it from getting shot. Most surefire way would be to surround the fortifications with floodgates, which are linked to a lever. You flick the lever, the pillbox is exposed and the dragon can aggro and shoot fire. Flick it again, and bowgoblins can't see or shoot it.

I don't have much dealings with fire so I don't know for certain how to handle the issues of burning equipment and endangering your dwarves. Perhaps, place a water-tank up above the field where the burning is going to happen, perhaps right on top of the pillbox, then when you flip a switch it blasts out and sweeps everything into an underground area. This accomplishes two things: hopefully the items won't be on fire anymore, and secondly, the items will be pushed inside the fort where dwarves can safely gather them, at least some of the time. Of course you make the underground area big enough for the water to evaporate, or drain it.

I would think such a pillbox should be well away from anywhere dwarves would regularly travel, but to herd invaders and the like past it without micromangement you'll also need to herd caravans past it, and therein is the risk of the dragon trying to burn a goblin and setting a wagon full of goods on fire, which then go into your depot and.. problems occur. That's what draw-bridges and flush switches are good for when dealing with fire I suppose?

Vester

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:AWE-INSPIRING:bloonk]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:00 pm »

Is that the only available entrance to your fort, or do you have multiples?

Also, yes, you need a way to keep those damn bowgoblins away. Floodgates are probably best.
"Land of song," said the warrior bard, "though all the world betray thee - one sword at least thy rights shall guard; one faithful harp shall praise thee."

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2009, 11:42:53 pm »

Dragon pillbox sounds quite fun actually, but you're going to need something to stop it from getting shot. Most surefire way would be to surround the fortifications with floodgates, which are linked to a lever. You flick the lever, the pillbox is exposed and the dragon can aggro and shoot fire. Flick it again, and bowgoblins can't see or shoot it.

I've had that implemented back when the crossbowdwarves were using it. Sorry about not saying that. Like I said, it's an excellent diagram but I only showed the location of the pillbox.
I don't have much dealings with fire so I don't know for certain how to handle the issues of burning equipment and endangering your dwarves. Perhaps, place a water-tank up above the field where the burning is going to happen, perhaps right on top of the pillbox, then when you flip a switch it blasts out and sweeps everything into an underground area. This accomplishes two things: hopefully the items won't be on fire anymore, and secondly, the items will be pushed inside the fort where dwarves can safely gather them, at least some of the time. Of course you make the underground area big enough for the water to evaporate, or drain it.

Thank you very much for this excellent idea. I hadn't thought of it. This will surely help with any mishaps that will inevitably come.

I don't care if caravans get burned, more fun for the dragon. Also, the only dwarves I'm worried about catching on fire are my champions, everyone else is partying/idling 70% of the time.

Phantom

• Bay Watcher
  • Asiatic Asian
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2009, 11:43:58 pm »

Tried killing with the rest.
Died with the rest while fried.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2009, 11:45:35 pm »

Is that the only available entrance to your fort, or do you have multiples?

Only entrance, I might incorporate the local volcano into a new one eventually, but that will be far in the future.

Side Note: Bowgoblins are not my worries. If you've read my Disturbing Title thread, you'll know that this world has a large history of elfish civil war. I have yet to encounter and elf archer, but I undoubtedly will at some point.