Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: LCS could use an example playthrough  (Read 2488 times)

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
LCS could use an example playthrough
« on: August 08, 2009, 10:54:54 pm »

I've dabbled in LCS recently, but found the game to be even worse than Dwarf Fortress in terms of learnability.  There are almost as many knobs to turn, and it's harder to see what progress you're making.  In contrast, DF has a very good wiki, and everything falls into place once you know how to make and furnish 7 bedrooms and one dining room.

On top of this, the game cannot be approached like a classic RPG where your everpresent goal is to get the best weapons, armor, and skill.  The most efficient ways to do that would be expected to bring down raids on your base and drag Liberal reputation through the mud.

One thing I think would help make the game more accessible, is to have a narrated walkthrough showing an expert player's strategy.  Ideally, this strategy would also try to reveal as much of the game as possible.

I searched YouTube for "liberal crime squad" and "LCS", but didn't see anything relevant.

Searching this forum did bring up a reference to a Something Awful Let's Play, but it only gave a link to a paid-only segment of their forums.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: LCS could use an example playthrough
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2009, 11:59:55 am »

Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2009, 03:41:04 pm »

I've dabbled in LCS recently, but found the game to be even worse than Dwarf Fortress...
it has the learning curve of Roguelikes you die a lot and then eventually you learn. but if you want to forgo that experience there's a very decent wiki.
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2009, 05:47:37 pm »

here is the wiki http://lcs.wikidot.com/start
I'm aware there is a wiki.  It's just not as helpful as the DF one.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2009, 09:28:26 pm »

here is the wiki http://lcs.wikidot.com/start
I'm aware there is a wiki.  It's just not as helpful as the DF one.
Ditto on this statement, and ditto on everything in the original post.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2009, 01:59:55 am »

I have done an LP of me doing a Pacifist run. There are two problems though:
1) It was an old version where the CCS would only strike when you were noticed. I do not know how to handle the CCS.
2) Pacifism is, quite frankly, lame.

However, the Pacifist Run is the only Run that I know that is easy to write down. Just take the best elements of Pacifism, and add in some violence when taking down the CCS. All you have to do is shut down the CCS' HQs three times, and the CCS is gone forever.

I'll write up the Pacifist Run tommorow.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2009, 02:26:54 am »

2) Pacifism is, quite frankly, lame.
That depends on what you mean by "pacifism".

If you merely mean evading or bluffing all fights, while continuing to smash things and loot stuff, then that's a reasonable approach to the game -- and may actually be saner than standing your ground.

But if you mean doing everything with talk-acquired sleepers (don't see how interrogation could be done pacifistically...), then that is removing a great deal of the game.  It also, I understand, is much harder now because of the leadership cap.

The LP I'm looking for should be a "sampler" of approaches to the game -- not a minimax strategy that uses only "the best" options and ignores the rest.  So, for example, the playthrough should include at least one kidnapping/conversion, even if the player thinks he can easily win without it.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2009, 03:00:55 am »

If you merely mean evading or bluffing all fights, while continuing to smash things and loot stuff, then that's a reasonable approach to the game -- and may actually be saner than standing your ground.

And, well, don't forget surrendering to the Police is society is liberal enough, and if you got a Sleeper Lawyer and a Sleeper Judge, because you can then get a clean record if you get acquitted.

But if you mean doing everything with talk-acquired sleepers (don't see how interrogation could be done pacifistically...), then that is removing a great deal of the game.  It also, I understand, is much harder now because of the leadership cap.

Well, interrogation can be done by somewhat in a pacifist manner if you got a good persuader interrogating the Conservative (it also becomes effective when you deny them food and water to make them break, rather than beating them).

Talk-acquired Sleepers just need to be well-positioned (being cultural sleepers), and when combined with a Liberal Guardian with one person writing in it, can be rather effective in making society Liberal.

The LP I'm looking for should be a "sampler" of approaches to the game -- not a minimax strategy that uses only "the best" options and ignores the rest.  So, for example, the playthrough should include at least one kidnapping/conversion, even if the player thinks he can easily win without it.

That's a really good idea, but I don't think I can do any LP at the moment.
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 10, 2009, 03:39:18 am »

And, well, don't forget surrendering to the Police is society is liberal enough, and if you got a Sleeper Lawyer and a Sleeper Judge, because you can then get a clean record if you get acquitted.
That brings up another issue.  A playthrough conducted so carefully that no one is ever arrested, would be less instructive than one that explores how to cope with that eventuality.

Well, interrogation can be done by somewhat in a pacifist manner if you got a good persuader interrogating the Conservative (it also becomes effective when you deny them food and water to make them break, rather than beating them).
But how can you do interrogation without first a violent capture?

a1s

• Bay Watcher
  • Torchlight Venturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 10, 2009, 08:07:44 am »

the kidnapping doesn't have to be violent.
after all we're all firends here: you, the conservative, and mister handgun, right?  ;)
but I suppose it's still technically a crime in our conservative society to tie our friends to chairs and slowly starve them...  ::)
I tried to play chess but two of my opponents were playing competitive checkers as a third person walked in with Game of Thrones in hand confused cause they thought this was the book club.

Rezan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 10, 2009, 10:30:13 am »

Not if you suspect them of being Communist Scum.

GruffyBears

• Bay Watcher
  • Prodigal
    • View Profile
    • Creature Club Podcast
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2009, 08:08:03 am »

I agree entirely with the sentiments of the original post. I'm not even sure what to do at the beginning. I usually just end up getting killed or waiting too long and having my base raided.
I grow old … I grow old …
I shall wear the bottoms of my trousers rolled.
- T.S Eliot

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2009, 12:32:48 pm »

I grind. The only way to win :(.
Hello Hunam

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2009, 05:38:13 pm »

Not if you suspect them of being Communist Scum.

Yeah, the element of communism is largely avoided in LCS.
Though I want to see the Stalin Aid Squad.

Michael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2009, 06:59:00 pm »

Recently I saw a LP of the JRPG Chrono Cross.  While it is not a particularly good playthrough (not least because it's unfinished and abandoned), it's in pretty much the style I'd want in an LCS LP.  Starting with episode #2, the player adds a chorus of other people commenting on his play.

This would work fairly well for LCS, because the chorus can comment on alternative paths the game might have taken, and alternative strategies.  While CC is branchy, it's got nothing on LCS, where the RNG can have a great effect on how a game develops.

The playlist is here:
http://www.youtube.com/view_play_list?p=402287CE9944F887