Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28

Author Topic: Dawntide, an MMO in development  (Read 32129 times)

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dawntide, an MMO in development
« Reply #240 on: March 17, 2011, 11:58:34 am »

OKAY!

Banged out Liruk in character creation, picked as many martial skills as I could without feeling shame and plopped fresh-faced and dressed in the middle of... Some island I think, time to adventure!

Five minutes I shut the game down because I couldn't figure out how to open any dialogues with the local NPCs.

Yeah, my right click does nothing. And I can't pick up and equip items either.

That was a short adventure.
Hey! I had that same adventure.

I am sure there is good information in the wiki, and if you work for hours and hours you can get into the game. But then what? You are in a low population, laggy, MMO, generally doing things you could do in other MMOs.

Simply put, I haven’t seen the draw to Dawntide, only barriers. They didn’t even get simple things right, like the control scheme. And to have boats only one person can ride on…. Come on.

Dawntide goes down, at least currently, as a game I will follow to hear the sufferings of others as they try to carve a fortress of fun from the side of a mountain of user unfriendliness. I greatly enjoyed the stories of failed space adventures in that one MMO space game that lagged like hell (the name escapes me).

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 17, 2011, 12:26:17 pm »

Dawntide goes down, at least currently, as a game I will follow to hear the sufferings of others as they try to carve a fortress of fun from the side of a mountain of user unfriendliness. I greatly enjoyed the stories of failed space adventures in that one MMO space game that lagged like hell (the name escapes me).
I believe your referring to shores of hazeron. And you might be right.

edit: just made a bastion deed, and this is what we need to build it: 500 nails, 7500 stone bricks, 1500 wood planks
« Last Edit: March 17, 2011, 12:58:19 pm by Android »

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 17, 2011, 12:53:59 pm »

I am a bit curious how the water navigation turns out. How big is the boat, and is the surrounding area mostly islands or are there any larger land masses? Any interesting details about how it works?

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 17, 2011, 01:18:11 pm »

edit: just made a bastion deed, and this is what we need to build it: 500 nails, 7500 stone bricks, 1500 wood planks
I think the game could use another six months or so to feel fully playable, but it's not painful once you get past the bugs. I'll try to supply stories: I swam my miner out to the eastern continent yesterday, as my pure crafting alt owns the boat, and started mining iron. I'll probably smelt down my 1,250 *unknown weight units* of iron down and swim back to the mainland later today, after which I shall go mine stone for the bastion. Then we can claim land and live in a state of perpetual war with the land itself. Or something like that; I'm not completely sure how declaring war on the environment works in this game.

I am a bit curious how the water navigation turns out. How big is the boat, and is the surrounding area mostly islands or are there any larger land masses? Any interesting details about how it works?
It's a fairly small boat, but I think they're working on adding larger ones. There are several islands and three other continent-sized landmasses. Sailing is just a matter of using w/s as a throttle control and a/d to turn. There doesn't seem to be any wind modeling in, sadly.

Hugehead

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 17, 2011, 01:43:22 pm »

The difference between Shores of Hazeron ("that space MMO") and this is that Hazeron does stuff that I hadn't seen anywhere before it, and doubt I'll see again soon, this doesn't have any new features, just ones that you don't find that often in one place.
We're Bay12er's. If there is a bug, we will find it, exploit it, and make a recursive statue out of it. Just look up Planepacked.
When a dwarf enters a martial trance, they become Jedi. Short, drunken Jedi.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 17, 2011, 02:02:23 pm »

That is the one! To clarify, it isn’t that I like seeing other people suffer, it just makes a much more exciting and realistic “let’s play” type experience. Setbacks are a big part of exploring the unknown.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 17, 2011, 03:08:19 pm »

As Nirur stated, this game needs more time under it's belt...remember, no matter what you read, this game is in alpha.  I mean, this game shouldn't even be open to the public right now, but since the dev's aren't BioWare, Blizzard, EA, or any other major house/publisher, they cannot afford to pay 50, 20, or probably even 10 testers.  that's where we come in, they need all the help they can get.

I'm actually loving the fact there isn't hundreds of morons running around trying to harvest the same tree...at the same time.  I find it very enjoyable to run off in the wilderness and it actually feel like it's wilderness.

Features, options and content will come.....I hope.  lol

Take care,

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 17, 2011, 03:26:57 pm »

I am fine with early alphas and indie devs using the community to test, but I grow weary when you can do things like build and pilot boats but you can't change your key bindings in game. That, to me, says the developer has poor priorities.

But I still like this arrangement. I get to be entertained by the game without even playing it, the developer gets testers and you guys, the brave and steadfast, get adventures. The end result, assuming competent development, is a lot of stories and a playable game.

diamok

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 17, 2011, 04:09:03 pm »

I do agree they might have "big eyes", and skewed priorities right now.  But I'd rather that then get the same ole bull, ass crack, jack wagon shit we get from major dev's with millions of dollars to spend.  Dragon *cough* Age *cough* II. :)

Take care,

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 17, 2011, 07:28:57 pm »

Whoa, I just sold a bunch of sand and red clay for a crapton of money. And until I find tin, those two are my main way of training mining.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 17, 2011, 08:31:40 pm »

Whoa, I just sold a bunch of sand and red clay for a crapton of money. And until I find tin, those two are my main way of training mining.

Mate, must put a hold on the selling of clay, as it will become a vital resource in construction

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 17, 2011, 09:14:49 pm »

Mate, must put a hold on the selling of clay, as it will become a vital resource in construction
Clay and red clay are two seperate things, by the way.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.

Android

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 17, 2011, 10:54:31 pm »

Does this mean that clay bricks work as well as stone ones, or are the two entirely separate? 'Cuz I can scrounge up clay bricks with more ease than stone ones.
They are seperate

Clay and red clay are two seperate things, by the way.
ok then

justinlee999

• Bay Watcher
  • Unflappably FABULOUS
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 17, 2011, 11:35:11 pm »

This game looks neat, what is the file size of this game?

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 18, 2011, 06:38:21 am »

Almost 3GB. The installer is around 30MB, but that will download the rest of it when it updates.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 28