Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Lessim Mogaim - A rebalance mod  (Read 2600 times)

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Lessim Mogaim - A rebalance mod
« Reply #15 on: August 03, 2009, 11:33:33 am »

Sadly obsidian has no percent specifiers in the raws that I can find, it's stuck at 133%. Secondly, obsidian shortswords also require a log to create, making it equivalent to magma smelted steel shortswords. (No flux required in this mod.) Iron + coke/charcoal (froom wood) = steel -> sword, or obsidian + wood = sword.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 03, 2009, 12:11:00 pm »

It's easy to make. Just make a separate set of stone-only weapons.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Grimlocke

• Bay Watcher
  • *kobold noises*
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 03, 2009, 02:21:26 pm »

You could in theory lower the damage of obsidian weaponry by make all metals do more damage as weapon, and making the weapons (and trapcomps) themselves do less damage.

That would make wooden/silver weapons even weaker then they are now though.

Though I could hardly call this a complete rebalancing mod without any of the creatures being changed, I guess it works in combination with other mods, for those who arnt fond of the high diversity and site-searching.

Personally I think the mod cuts out a bit too much. Also, crossbows using the whip skill doesnt realy make sense. Lower bludgeon damage for ranged weapons seems to make more sense.
I make Grimlocke's History & Realism Mods. Its got poleaxes, sturdy joints and bloomeries. Now compatible with DF Revised!

Kilumanjaro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2009, 09:08:15 pm »

Personally, I always thought stone spears made more sense, as they were more widespread.  Plus, the stick chance gives them an obvious drawback, even for use in weapon traps (they jam noticeably more) while still providing an easy to manufacture damage source for the early game.  That seems to balance out well in my personal mod.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2009, 12:36:42 am »

I might sound stupid for asking this, but:

Where's the download link?

forsaken1111

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • TTB Twitch
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2009, 12:45:14 am »

I might sound stupid for asking this, but:

Where's the download link?

A bit... if you read his first post you'll see this.

I don't have it put up for download, though I suppose I can if anyone wants to give it a try. I'm more interested in hearing if the community is receptive to a mod that guts all Toady's nice geology.

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 06, 2009, 03:43:03 pm »

I'm still struggling to figure out why it frequently crashes between site selection and the 'Play now/prepare carefully' choice, guys... Some sites it loads up fine, others always crashes, and others only work sometimes. Very confusing... I'm trying to figure out if it's related to your home civ selection. Anybody had similar problems?

No error_log.txt info, damn.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 06, 2009, 09:46:48 pm »

I'm still struggling to figure out why it frequently crashes between site selection and the 'Play now/prepare carefully' choice, guys... Some sites it loads up fine, others always crashes, and others only work sometimes. Very confusing... I'm trying to figure out if it's related to your home civ selection. Anybody had similar problems?

No error_log.txt info, damn.

How are your soil layers showing up?

I tried to mimic your mod based on its descriptions, and I made a few mistakes from it.

When I didn't have a stone layer each for [IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE], [IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE], [SEDIMENTARY], and [METAMORPHIC], the game goes crazy. It would put ooze (yeah, the one from oceans) into the layer to replace it. Worse yet, if there was a river in the same tile, every layer would become "River: Water Path the Liquid Stream" (Something like that).

Fixed it by making four separate stone entries, one for each type.

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 06, 2009, 10:23:47 pm »

My soil layers are showing up fine... This is the raw entry for my generic stone:

[MATGLOSS_STONE:STONE]
[NAME:stone][COLOR:0:7:1][TILE:178]
[SEDIMENTARY][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_SHALLOW][SEDIMENTARY_OCEAN_DEEP]
[IGNEOUS_INTRUSIVE][IGNEOUS_EXTRUSIVE][METAMORPHIC]

So that's all the bases covered - one matgloss_stone entry can have multiple layer tags. I have determined that it crashes depending on what starter civ you pick, but for the life of me I can't figure out why some are good and some crash the game! It even depends on where you embark. Some that work fine in one place crash in others, some that crash certain embark spots work elsewhere. It's really frustrating, because besides adding the training weapon usage tags to the dwarf entity_default entry, the only tag I added was [OUTDOOR_FARMING] to complement their [INDOOR_FARMING] tag. If those two conflict I'll have to rethink a few things...

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 06, 2009, 10:39:43 pm »

Could it be that there are inaccessible materials that you can buy in the embark screen?

For example: For whatever reason, you didn't mod out pig iron. As a result, when the game tries to bring up "pig iron bar", which cannot be created, it crashes.

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 06, 2009, 10:46:53 pm »

http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=1312

Pre-alpha version for debugging. Bleh. All of the matglosses have changed significantly except for wood. item_weapon and entity_default have changed a little, reaction_standard has been changed a lot.

Edit: Changed link to File Depot. Whee.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2009, 12:05:33 am by Reynard »

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 06, 2009, 11:23:09 pm »

Use Dwarf Fortress File Depot/. The files are so small it doesn't make sense to use those uploading services.

Reynard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 07, 2009, 09:54:46 pm »

Well, good news is it looks like it may well be the matgloss_plants changes that are causing the frequent crashes.

Bad news is I haven't identified what change is the culprit. Still... progress!

Teldin

• Bay Watcher
  • Canadian Bacon
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 07, 2009, 11:28:22 pm »

Well, good news is it looks like it may well be the matgloss_plants changes that are causing the frequent crashes.

Bad news is I haven't identified what change is the culprit. Still... progress!

I've found that matgloss plants tend to crash very frequently when modding, and haven't yet managed to figure out why.

blah28722

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2009, 12:26:05 am »

I figured out what was causing the crashes.

If you don't have the matgloss for:

Plump Helmet (+brew information)
Cave Wheat (+brew information)
Sweet Pod (+brew information)
Pig tails

The game crashes, as [INDOOR_FARMING] seems to look for those things as a hardcoded behavior.
Pages: 1 [2] 3