Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What is your FPS?  (Read 1894 times)

Judas Maccabeus

• Bay Watcher
  • [BIRD_BRAIN]
    • View Profile
Re: What is your FPS?
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2009, 06:11:52 pm »

I have my FPS cap set to 40 (any higher and I can't keep track of what everyone's doing, they're moving too fast); with my current 6 x 6 embark, 51 dwarves most of whom are trying to path around each other in order to haul all of the items I just traded for, the merchants I traded from, and a running brook, I didn't go below that cap.  I have partial print set to 5, with that turned off it would be around 20 or perhaps a bit less.  I can accept reasonably low FPS, though, so long as it's not down in the single digits or the like.
I'm talking about the bronze colossus. It's supposed to be made entirely of bronze.
But really he's just a softie inside. They all are really. When megabeasts come to your fort you never welcome them inside and give them a hug, do you. You heartless bastards...

IHateOutside

• Bay Watcher
  • Fire safety is for wimps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2009, 06:14:29 pm »

I have it capped at 100. I could reach 200 on a 5x5 (standard) embark with starting dorfs, but it was too fast. Never lasted till an immigration wave because I like stuff being just right. I embarked on a very full dark fortress in a failed attempt to collapse with about 20 dogs and hovered around 60fps

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2009, 06:36:36 pm »

I cap it at 50. But if it's not capped, it can go up to about to about 125 or so with 100 dwarves.

I usually fly through the first year and a half at 150-200 FPS. Nothing happens, so I get bored.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

Telcontar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2009, 08:36:22 pm »

I can maintain ~100 fps with 100 dwarves on a standard embark size (6x6), most of the time. Above that it starts dropping. By 200 dwarves I'm down to about 30 fps.

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2009, 09:15:24 pm »

My 35 Dwarf Fortress is running 50-60 FPS, which compared to everyone else on here isn't that bad... but it's insufferable to me. For future forts, I will probably cap it at 20 dwarfs, because any more then that and I actually have problems finding work for everybody.
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.

milaga

• Bay Watcher
  • No Job
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2009, 10:10:39 pm »

To those of you who have to cap your FPS at 100 because it's too fast ... I hate you and your sexy computer and/or linux build.

On a 5*5 embark with ~150 dorfs, above-ground and underground rivers, and a magma pipe, about 15-20 FPS. It tends to vary depending on what everyone's doing, because of the lack of forward-thinking design.

As a computer scientist the whole job system really irks me. I understand this game has been in development forever and it's probably been built up like so many layers of gunk in my bathroom sink. There is no reason why designating a ton of items to be dumped will spawn a mess of jobs, each of which will constantly cry out to be executed every tick. Each job should be put into a separate queue (not a stack!) related to that job type. When a dwarf has no job they'll check the top of each stack they have enabled and pick one based on their preferences or estimated time to completion (with some randomness/preferences thrown in so the long jobs get done.)

Sorry, it's really easy to back-seat code I guess. But it is frustrating sometimes to see this game it blaze through simulating years of events, erosions, weathering and civ interactions but have a hard time with a 200 pieces of narrow metal armor.

Thanks for that...  now I have the image of Urist McBooger walking up to me with a creepy smile and asking me if I want a "dwarven shower".

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2009, 10:28:57 pm »

It's not so much mass dumping that causes it to have a hissy fit as mass butchery, with animals and dwarves pathfinding all over the place and animals exploding into pieces demanding to be dealt with right this second and clouds of miasma and dwarves vomiting as they walk out into the fresh air in the butchery areas.

Or stonecrafting, because then there's pathfinding through tons of 2-wide tunnels and stones exploding into trinkets.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Fishbreath

• Bay Watcher
  • [AVATAR HERE]
    • View Profile
    • Many Words
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2009, 10:16:59 am »

My 6x6 fort with 100 dwarves and some 300 animals (stinking cats) is hovering at about 20.

My 8x8 fort (I'm crazy, you know) with 100 dwarves is sitting pretty at about 25. I expect it'll go down further once I find my magma pipe and underground river.

soupcan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2009, 12:44:15 pm »

My largest fortress has a population of 89 in a 6x6 area. The FPS stays around 70-80, but drops to ~10 every few minutes. I can't figure out why.

Granite26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2009, 01:38:04 pm »

Sorry, it's really easy to back-seat code I guess. But it is frustrating sometimes to see this game it blaze through simulating years of events, erosions, weathering and civ interactions but have a hard time with a 200 pieces of narrow metal armor.

I get real nervous coming across a design decision I don't understand, and this is definitely one.  I assume you've read the suggestions board talks about this?  (Like Job Priorities in my sig)

I think I'm about 30 with 205 dwarves, brook, u river, chasm, and 2 magmas... Will verify when I get home

Quatch

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_ GRADSTUDENT]
    • View Profile
    • Twitch? Sometimes..
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2009, 07:01:12 pm »

Currently Morul is languishing in the 12-15FPS range, even with only 49 dwarves. The slowdown comes from the magma pipe draining, which is the computation equivalent to real-time modeling the aerodynamic effects of a B2 bomber in a typhoon.

Aaand stealing this for my sig. Part at least :)

Also, Mac version, no FPS to watch for me. Feels 20-30 ish though from what I recall playing earlier.
SAVE THE PHILOSOPHER!
>>KillerClowns: It's faster to write "!!science!!" than any of the synonyms: "mad science", "dwarven science", or "crimes against the laws of god and man".
>>Orius: I plan my forts with some degree of paranoia.  It's kept me somewhat safe.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2009, 08:55:59 pm »

I've got a 6x6 fort of about 140 dwarves and my framerate is about 20.  The fort has a lake on the border which creates waves, which I imagine slows down the fort a bit.  Not much wildlife activity other than snailmen and merpeople and most of my animals are caged.

Beanchubbs

• Bay Watcher
  • Khorne Flakes: Crunchy & Delicious
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2009, 05:46:05 am »

My largest fort of about 170 dwarves, I think, was about 10-15 fps. Less when caravans or sieges arrived. Usually it dropped lower than 5 when I had to clean up after goblin slaughters. Destroying the trash with an Atom Smasher really helped though.
Yikes, the Orcs have a nasty language.  Traditional foreplay would be right out for them; how would they ever "say my name" for one another?  No wonder Ocrs are always so bloodthirsty and violent, they're getting sub-par action.

Qiu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2009, 06:16:35 am »

Also, Mac version, no FPS to watch for me. Feels 20-30 ish though from what I recall playing earlier.

i never really understood this. I'm on a Mac, and FPS display works just fine.

(btw, you guys should post your computer specs along with your FPS  ;) )

Here, with a small 2*2 fort with no moving liquid, 80 dwarves and temp/weather turned off, it can go down to 30 (PowerPC G5 2.5Ghz); on very busy forts with moving liquid it can go down to around 5  :-[

RandomNumberGenerator

• Bay Watcher
  • Nope.
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2009, 09:37:04 am »

(btw, you guys should post your computer specs along with your FPS  ;) )
Okay. Like I said earlier, I can get 100+ FPS with under 30 dwarves. This was on a map with magma + brook. Any more than that and it starts dropping, around 40-50 FPS. I made a new fort and capped it at 80, so I can progressively slow myself down in preparation for bigger forts.

AMD 3.0 GHz Dual-Core Processor(Could be better...)
8.0 GB RAM(Way, way overkill... I rarely use half of it. Still, nice to have...)
nVidia 8800(Does DF even use this?)
The end of the world is more fun then I expected.
Pages: 1 [2] 3